Can't switch from X to virtual terminals - X

This is a discussion on Can't switch from X to virtual terminals - X ; On my new laptop (Asus S62E), entering CTL-ALT-F in X to switch to virtual terminal results in a blank (but not totally black) screen. The switch is made -- I can type into the terminal, but can see nothing. Switching ...

  1. Can't switch from X to virtual terminals

    On my new laptop (Asus S62E), entering CTL-ALT-F in X to switch
    to virtual terminal results in a blank (but not totally black)
    screen. The switch is made -- I can type into the terminal, but
    can see nothing. Switching back, or to another terminal running an
    X session, succeeds.

    This occurs under Debian, either etch with the 2.6.18 kernel and
    vesa driver, or lenny (testing) with the 2.6.22 kernel and intel or
    vesa drivers. Under Knoppix there is no such problem.

    My xorg.conf:

    # xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
    # ...

    Section "Files"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
    Option "SHMConfig" "on"
    Option "RightEdge" "5980"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller"
    Driver "intel"
    BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic Monitor"
    Option "DPMS"
    HorizSync 30-70
    VertRefresh 50-160
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller"
    Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Modes "1280x800" "800x600"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
    InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    EndSection

    I tried setting UseFBDev to false; no change.

    Suggestions?

    --
    Bill Brelsford
    k2di7@att.net

  2. Re: Can't switch from X to virtual terminals

    Bill Brelsford wrote:
    > On my new laptop (Asus S62E), entering CTL-ALT-F in X to switch
    > to virtual terminal results in a blank (but not totally black)
    > screen. The switch is made -- I can type into the terminal, but
    > can see nothing. Switching back, or to another terminal running an
    > X session, succeeds.

    I do not completly understand what you mean by
    "Switching back, ... succeeds". But I have a suggestion on
    other things you can look into below.

    > This occurs under Debian, either etch with the 2.6.18 kernel and
    >
    > Suggestions?

    I cannot comment specifically on Debian, but you may
    want to check:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf -- Verify "DontVTSwitch" is commented out
    seems to be from your xorg file

    /etc/inittab -- Check for something similar, in slackware
    this creates virtual terminals 1 -- 6
    c1:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux
    c2:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
    c3:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
    c4:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
    c5:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
    c6:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux
    ^^^^
    Run Levels, 4 = when using XDM/KDM/GDM

    In Slackware, Run level 4 means you are using X/G/KDM, so
    you only get 1 virtual terminal, for CTL-ALT-F6, otherwise
    you get 6 console terms.

    HTH
    Jack

    --
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
    or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is

  3. Re: Can't switch from X to virtual terminals

    Jack McCue wrote:
    > Bill Brelsford wrote:
    >> On my new laptop (Asus S62E), entering CTL-ALT-F in X to switch
    >> to virtual terminal results in a blank (but not totally black)
    >> screen. The switch is made -- I can type into the terminal, but
    >> can see nothing. Switching back, or to another terminal running an
    >> X session, succeeds.

    > I do not completly understand what you mean by
    > "Switching back, ... succeeds".

    I have six virtual terminals defined in /etc/inittab, so my X
    session ends up on VT7. By switching back, I mean that after, say,
    CTL-ALT-F4 I can do CTL-ALT-F7 and my X session re-appears.

    > But I have a suggestion on other things you can look into below.
    >
    >> This occurs under Debian, either etch with the 2.6.18 kernel and
    >>
    >> Suggestions?

    > I cannot comment specifically on Debian, but you may
    > want to check:
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf -- Verify "DontVTSwitch" is commented out
    > seems to be from your xorg file

    It's not present.

    > /etc/inittab -- Check for something similar, in slackware
    > this creates virtual terminals 1 -- 6
    > c1:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux
    > c2:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
    > c3:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
    > c4:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
    > c5:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
    > c6:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux

    As mentioned above, I have six defined. And they work fine --
    until I try to switch to them from X. Even then they're there,
    I just can't see anything when I switch to them.

    --
    Bill Brelsford
    k2di7@att.net

  4. Re: Can't switch from X to virtual terminals

    j_mccue@SPAMisBADcomcast.net (Jack McCue) wrote:

    >In Slackware, Run level 4 means you are using X/G/KDM, so
    >you only get 1 virtual terminal, for CTL-ALT-F6, otherwise
    >you get 6 console terms.

    Is that correct? I find that a very odd choice on their part. In all of
    the Red Hat and Debian based distributions, the use of xdm does not disable
    the console VTs.

    I'd be ticked off if I could pop over to a text-mode console for a minute.
    --
    Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

  5. Re: Can't switch from X to virtual terminals

    I've had something similar.
    Not that it was black, but rather corrupted.
    It seems that in some cases, the kernel framebuffer conflicts with the X
    driver. You could try setting the videomode in your grub/lilo to text
    and try a reboot. Text only should work, but you'll be unable to use
    your boot splash. You can also try alternating framebuffer drivers
    and/or X drivers, in order to get a setup that works.

    -R-

    Bill Brelsford wrote:
    > On my new laptop (Asus S62E), entering CTL-ALT-F in X to switch
    > to virtual terminal results in a blank (but not totally black)
    > screen. The switch is made -- I can type into the terminal, but
    > can see nothing. Switching back, or to another terminal running an
    > X session, succeeds.
    >
    > This occurs under Debian, either etch with the 2.6.18 kernel and
    > vesa driver, or lenny (testing) with the 2.6.22 kernel and intel or
    > vesa drivers. Under Knoppix there is no such problem.

  6. Re: Can't switch from X to virtual terminals

    That's the kind of framebuffer conflict (kernel vs X) I suspected.

    I just installed the cutting-edge version of Debian (sid/unstable),
    which includes an updated version of X. The problem no longer
    occurs, so hopefully it was a bug that has been fixed..

    Thanks all for the comments/suggestions.

    Jurgen Haan wrote:
    > I've had something similar.
    > Not that it was black, but rather corrupted.
    > It seems that in some cases, the kernel framebuffer conflicts with the X
    > driver. You could try setting the videomode in your grub/lilo to text
    > and try a reboot. Text only should work, but you'll be unable to use
    > your boot splash. You can also try alternating framebuffer drivers
    > and/or X drivers, in order to get a setup that works.
    >
    > -R-
    >
    > Bill Brelsford wrote:
    >> On my new laptop (Asus S62E), entering CTL-ALT-F in X to switch
    >> to virtual terminal results in a blank (but not totally black)
    >> screen. The switch is made -- I can type into the terminal, but
    >> can see nothing. Switching back, or to another terminal running an
    >> X session, succeeds.
    >>
    >> This occurs under Debian, either etch with the 2.6.18 kernel and
    >> vesa driver, or lenny (testing) with the 2.6.22 kernel and intel or
    >> vesa drivers. Under Knoppix there is no such problem.

    --
    Bill Brelsford
    k2di7@att.net

  7. Re: Can't switch from X to virtual terminals

    Tim Roberts wrote:
    > j_mccue@SPAMisBADcomcast.net (Jack McCue) wrote:
    >>
    >>In Slackware, Run level 4 means you are using X/G/KDM, so

    > Is that correct? I find that a very odd choice on their part. In all of
    > the Red Hat and Debian based distributions, the use of xdm does not disable
    > the console VTs.

    Sorry, I was not too clear/verbose on this part, what you
    end up with is one Xsession login via g/x/kdm (gdm is gone
    in later releases). and one text virtual terminal on tty6.

    > I'd be ticked off if I could pop over to a text-mode console for a minute.

    I agree with this also.

    regards
    jack

    --
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
    or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is
    not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
    to the American public. -- Theodore Roosevelt

+ Reply to Thread