What is "Digi_Touch"? - X

This is a discussion on What is "Digi_Touch"? - X ; Hello, I am using a usb keyboard which works well, as long as I use Section "InputDevice" Identifier "Keyboard1" Driver "evdev" Option "CoreKeyboard" Option "Phys" "usb-0000:00:10.1-1/input0" ... EndSection in xorg.conf. I'd like to get rid of the physical address there ...

  1. What is "Digi_Touch"?

    Hello,

    I am using a usb keyboard which works well, as long as I use

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "evdev"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "Phys" "usb-0000:00:10.1-1/input0"
    EndSection

    in xorg.conf. I'd like to get rid of the physical address there and use

    Option "Name" "HID 1267:0103"

    instead, because the address changes when the keyboard is plugged off an
    on again. Unfortunately, the name option doesn't work for the keyboard.
    It works perfectly when I use it to identify the usb mouse, but X
    crashes when I try this option on the keyboard. The error message is:

    (EE) Keyboard1-usb-0000:00:10.1-1/input0: AbsoluteTouch: 'DIGI_Touch'
    does not exist.

    I really did search a lot but I can't find any information on what this
    "DIGI_Touch" thing is: is it a module for X11? Is it a kernel module?
    Where do I find it?

    Is there any other way to tell X which keyboard to use, regardless which
    port it is plugged into?

    Many thanks in advance.

    --
    Wolfgang Klein, DE - Paderborn ,_,
    PGP-Schlüssel per e-mail anfordern: (o,o) Request PGP key by e-mail:

  2. Re: What is "Digi_Touch"?

    Wolfgang Klein staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I am using a usb keyboard which works well, as long as I use
    > Section "InputDevice"
    > Identifier "Keyboard1"
    > Driver "evdev"
    > Option "CoreKeyboard"
    > Option "Phys" "usb-0000:00:10.1-1/input0"
    > EndSection
    >
    > in xorg.conf. I'd like to get rid of the physical address there

    This is the first time I've seen the keyboard stanzas referring to a
    physical device. Then again, the kbd module has worked fine for me
    since 1999, and I don't know what additional functionality evdev could
    provide.

    > Option "Name" "HID 1267:0103"
    > instead, because the address changes when the keyboard is plugged off
    > an on again. Unfortunately, the name option doesn't work for the
    > keyboard. X crashes when I try this.
    > (EE) Keyboard1-usb-0000:00:10.1-1/input0: AbsoluteTouch: 'DIGI_Touch'
    > does not exist.

    Did you comment out the "Option "Phys" line?

    > I really did search a lot but I can't find any information on what
    > this "DIGI_Touch" thing is: is it a module for X11? Is it a kernel
    > module? Where do I find it?

    I have a feeling that it's the descriptor string obtained from something
    similar to lsusb. Reading the man page for evdev makes me wonder if
    something like this combination of options instead of what you have
    might help:

    Option "vendor" "1267"
    Option "product" "0103"

    ....the "Name" thing may be less robust than the raw vendor and product
    IDs.

    > Is there any other way to tell X which keyboard to use, regardless
    > [of] which port it is plugged into?

    For the longest time, X on Linux didn't *use* device files for
    keyboards. It just opened the tty where it was running. This is a
    newer thing and may have stupid problems--I know I've seen people
    complain about evdev before, though their complaints were qualitatively
    different from the problem you're having.

    --
    So, what do *you* do for a living?
    I sit in a chair, pressing small plastic rectangles with my fingers

  3. Re: What is "Digi_Touch"?

    On 26.11.2007 at 13:33 (Dances With Crows) wrote:

    > Did you comment out the "Option "Phys" line?

    Yes, when I tried the "Name" option.

    > I have a feeling that it's the descriptor string obtained from something
    > similar to lsusb. Reading the man page for evdev makes me wonder if
    > something like this combination of options instead of what you have
    > might help:
    >
    > Option "vendor" "1267"
    > Option "product" "0103"

    I tried that one as well: still the same error.

    > I have a feeling that it's the descriptor string obtained from something
    > similar to lsusb.

    Do you mean that it could be a bug in evdev because the product/vendor
    id is misinterpreted?

    Searching for the sentence "AbsoluteTouch: 'DIGI_Touch' does not exist"
    one will find a lot of people who had the same error. But,
    unfortunately, no one has an explanation for it.

    There's also some interesting evdev source code that can be found that
    seems to be responsible for this error:
    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...st/008615.html

    > For the longest time, X on Linux didn't *use* device files for
    > keyboards. It just opened the tty where it was running. This is a
    > newer thing and may have stupid problems--I know I've seen people
    > complain about evdev before, though their complaints were qualitatively
    > different from the problem you're having.

    I am running a multiseat machine, where two users use one computer at
    the same time. There are two sets of mouse+keyboard connected to this
    machine, one set via PS/2 and via USB. If I don't use the physical
    option above, one user will get two mice and two keyboards and the other
    one will have none. It seems that the first X server greps all input
    devices it can find.

    I'd like to get rid of this physical option, because if some other USB
    device like the scanner or the camera is already plugged in while
    booting, the USB devices can't be found any more. I don't know if this
    is the fault of some buggy main board or of the OS. Actually, I thought
    that the option "phys" would prevent this.

    --
    Wolfgang Klein, DE - Paderborn ,_,
    PGP-Schlüssel per e-mail anfordern: (o,o) Request PGP key by e-mail:
    "Bitte PGP-Schluessel senden" {' '} "Please send PGP key"
    =====================================#=#========== ====================

  4. Re: What is "Digi_Touch"?

    Wolfgang Klein staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > On 26.11.2007 at 13:33 (Dances With Crows) wrote:
    >> Did you comment out the "Option "Phys" line?

    > Yes, when I tried the "Name" option.

    Just making sure.

    >> Option "vendor" "1267"
    >> Option "product" "0103"

    > I tried that one as well: still the same error.

    Great.

    > Do you mean that it could be a bug in evdev because the product/vendor
    > id is misinterpreted?

    It's certainly a bug in evdev somewhere. libusb lets you access any USB
    device once you have the vendor and product IDs for that device, but
    evdev may not be using libusb and its methods for finding the device in
    the mess under /sys/ may not be entirely accurate.

    > Searching for the sentence "AbsoluteTouch: 'DIGI_Touch' does not exist"
    > one will find a lot of people who had the same error.
    > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...st/008615.html

    Yikes, that diff is huge. I tried to see which part of it was
    responsible for the problem and my eyes glazed over.

    >> For the longest time, X on Linux didn't *use* device files for
    >> keyboards. It just opened the tty where it was running.

    > I am running a multiseat machine, where two users use one computer at
    > the same time.

    Ah, a thing that not many people are doing. Generally, it's best to
    mention those things in the first message you post. I've heard of a
    number of ways to do that, but the earlier ones all talk about patching
    the kernel. One of the reasonably active people on col.misc, CptDondo,
    has set up a multi-seat machine recently IIRC. The main problem he had
    was with sound cards. It might be useful to post there and see what you
    can find out.

    > If I don't use the physical option above, one user will get two mice
    > and two keyboards and the other one will have none. It seems that the
    > first X server grabs all input devices it can find.

    Yes. That makes sense for single-user workstations, and most of the
    machines in use are single-user workstations or servers.

    > I'd like to get rid of this physical option, because if some other USB
    > device like the scanner or the camera is already plugged in while
    > booting, the USB devices can't be found any more. I don't know if this
    > is the fault of some buggy main board or of the OS.

    Argh. If evdev took device filenames (I don't think it does), it would
    be reasonably easy to put together a udev rule that linked
    /dev/input/eventN to /dev/input/kbd0 and /dev/input/eventM to
    /dev/input/kbd1 . But that is probably not an option.

    --
    This is my rifle, this is my GNU
    This is for fighting, this is for $FOO!