Fatal Server Error: AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0 - X

This is a discussion on Fatal Server Error: AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0 - X ; Hi all, I have just installed Debian 4.0 "Etch", from the cover DVD of the October edition of Linux Magazine. X fails to start up. Fact: I know pretty much nothing about setting about X! I get the error in ...

  1. Fatal Server Error: AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

    Hi all,

    I have just installed Debian 4.0 "Etch", from the cover DVD of the
    October edition of Linux Magazine.

    X fails to start up. Fact: I know pretty much nothing about setting
    about X!

    I get the error in the subject line, and:

    (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (no file or directory)
    (EE) I810(0): Internal error:maxCacheLine < 0 in
    I830Allocate2Dmemory()
    (EE) I810(0): Failed to allocate framebuffer. Is your videoram set too
    low ??

    What could the problem be, and how do I fix it?

    Thanks for your time!

    Jim

  2. Re: Fatal Server Error: AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

    Jim staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I have just installed Debian Etch. [But] X fails to start up. I know
    > pretty much nothing about X!

    If you're a complete n00b, Debian may be the wrong distro for you.

    > (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (no file or directory)
    > (EE) I810(0): Failed to allocate framebuffer. Is your videoram set too
    > low ??
    > What could the problem be, and how do I fix it?

    The first error may point to the FOO_agp and agpgart modules not being
    loaded. modprobe those modules. If you don't know what FOO_ is, find
    out with lspci like so:

    clairissa:~$ lspci | grep 'AGP\|VGA'
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82855PM Processor to AGP
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M10 NT [FireGL
    Mobility T2]

    This shows that this machine has an Intel AGP chipset and an ATi FireGL
    T2 video chipset, meaning that I'd use the intel_agp kernel module and
    the radeon X module. What's the specific video chip in your machine?
    There are about 20 different i810 variants. Most of them are supported,
    but Etch's X is old enough that it might not support the most recent
    variants.

    --
    That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
    --Trevor Goodchild, Aeon Flux