Can a color display be changed to grayscale? - X

This is a discussion on Can a color display be changed to grayscale? - X ; Hi, I have a color monitor but I wanted to test a monochrome display on the same. Is it possible to convert a color monitor to grayscale? Thanks, Regards, ilano...

  1. Can a color display be changed to grayscale?

    Hi,

    I have a color monitor but I wanted to test a monochrome display on
    the same.

    Is it possible to convert a color monitor to grayscale?

    Thanks,

    Regards,
    ilano

  2. Re: Can a color display be changed to grayscale?

    ? That's an odd thing to want...

    I'm also not sure what you're trying to do.
    Do you want to use a monochromatic display mode (binary pixels but
    that's B&W output and completely independant of monitor) or do you want
    a colour signal to be outputted in grayscale?

    I don't think there's a default way to convert colour output to
    grayscale. Perhaps some screen calibration software provides the ability
    to tone down colour. Another way is to convert a screenshot to grayscale
    or connecting a tv-set to a tvout and tone down the colour gauge.

    To answer your exact question:
    It entirely depends on your monitor whether or not it can display colour
    signals in grayscale. A monochromatic signal (like hercules mode) is
    already black and white, so it works by default.

    Regards,

    -R-

    ilano wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a color monitor but I wanted to test a monochrome display on
    > the same.
    >
    > Is it possible to convert a color monitor to grayscale?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Regards,
    > ilano

  3. Re: Can a color display be changed to grayscale?

    Jurgen Haan wrote:
    > It entirely depends on your monitor whether or not it can display colour
    > signals in grayscale. A monochromatic signal (like hercules mode) is
    > already black and white, so it works by default.

    One of the pins on the VGA connector tells the video card whether or not a
    colour monitor is attached. In theory, if a monitor is not plugged in at the
    time the system boots, the card should consider the monitor to be a black and
    white monitor.

    The software can read this setting, and display appropriately. Unfortunately,
    in practice this does not work, because the functionality to support a
    monochrome display has not been coded, resulting in a colour image, even
    though the signal for a colour monitor was not given.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  4. Re: Can a color display be changed to grayscale?

    On 2 , 12:05, ilano wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a color monitor but I wanted to test a monochrome display on
    > the same.
    >
    > Is it possible to convert a color monitor to grayscale?

    You could setup Visual to GrayScale in "Display" subsection inside
    Screen section.
    This should work for 8-bit "Depth" so that you may set "DefaultDepth"
    to 8 for used screen.

    Regards,
    Roumen

+ Reply to Thread