Help: Startx is useless in my box - X

This is a discussion on Help: Startx is useless in my box - X ; Hi, I use SuSE 10.2 in my box. While I'm using "startx" to convert 3 run-level to 5 in root user, it displays hostname:Unknown host xauth:creating new authority file/root/.serverauth.5758 Fatal server error: Server is already active for display 0 If ...

  1. Help: Startx is useless in my box

    Hi,

    I use SuSE 10.2 in my box. While I'm using "startx" to convert 3 run-level
    to 5 in root user, it displays

    hostname:Unknown host
    xauth:creating new authority file/root/.serverauth.5758

    Fatal server error:
    Server is already active for display 0
    If this server is no longer running,remove /tmp/.X0_lock
    and start again

    Please consult the The X.Org Fondating support
    at http://wiki.X.Org
    for help

    How to solve this problem?

    Thank you very much~

    Regards,

    Amy Lee

  2. Re: Help: Startx is useless in my box

    > I use SuSE 10.2 in my box. While I'm using "startx" to convert 3 run-level
    > to 5 in root user, it displays

    When you want to change runlevel you should use init. If you just want
    to start X using startx should do.

    [...]
    > Fatal server error:
    > Server is already active for display 0
    > If this server is no longer running,remove /tmp/.X0_lock
    > and start again

    [...
    ]> How to solve this problem?

    Lets try it:

    - are you sure that you are in runlevel 3 when trying "startx"?
    - what X does SuSE install? Xorg or XFree?
    - Maybe you are in fact in runlevel 5 and your X Server is running?
    This would perfectly explain the error.
    BTW: i found an (old) web page claiming that runlevel 3 in SuSE
    would be with X started?

    To verify this, run on the console or terminal as root:

    "runlevel" -> will give you the current runlevel
    "ps -ef | grep X" -> will show if X is already running, for Xorg there
    will be a line containing something like "/usr/bin/Xorg :0"
    What does the file /tmp/.X0_lock contain?

    regards
    Harald

+ Reply to Thread