Starting X with no video... - X

This is a discussion on Starting X with no video... - X ; I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10 server, and I installed the GUI and then ran ' startx '....after I chose the video settings, my system re- started and now I cannot get a signal from my monitor. I am sure it ...

  1. Starting X with no video...

    I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10 server, and I installed the GUI and
    then ran ' startx '....after I chose the video settings, my system re-
    started and now I cannot get a signal from my monitor. I am sure it
    is because I chose the wrong video settings, but I am a total newb and
    am now stuck....any ideas plz??

  2. Re: Starting X with no video...

    First of all, try to get to a TTY. Since framebuffer also uses the
    graphical capabilities the wrong X settings tries to mess up, this is
    not always an option. Else try restarting in failsafe.

    Try editing your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    Try replacing your driver in your device section with 'vesa' to get at
    least something working. Most of the time, a monitor blanking is due to
    wrong modeline or frequency settings. Try lowering some of them. (or
    delete them altogether, hoping that X will autodetect them correctly).

    if all fails, try recreating your default xorg.conf:

    'dpkg-reconfigure -p high xserver-xorg'

    You can restart X by typing '/etc/init.d/gdm restart'

    regards,

    -R-

    blues wrote:
    > I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10 server, and I installed the GUI and
    > then ran ' startx '....after I chose the video settings, my system re-
    > started and now I cannot get a signal from my monitor. I am sure it
    > is because I chose the wrong video settings, but I am a total newb and
    > am now stuck....any ideas plz??

+ Reply to Thread