spanning display across two monitors using xinerama - X

This is a discussion on spanning display across two monitors using xinerama - X ; Hi all, Is there anyone who implemented spanning the display across two monitors with this condition? 1. One monitor is connected in VGA 2. Another monitor is connected in network I know that this can be possible for following conditions ...

  1. spanning display across two monitors using xinerama

    Hi all,
    Is there anyone who implemented spanning the display across
    two monitors with this condition?
    1. One monitor is connected in VGA
    2. Another monitor is connected in network

    I know that this can be possible for following conditions

    1. Single card with dual head
    2. Two different graphics cards in single cpu
    3. Two computers conncted in network by Xdmx

    I have few ideas for implementing this. Am i exploring in the right
    direction?

    My ideas are based on the assumption that Extending the display by X
    Server is independent of hardware because X server is the who draws
    everything.(Xinerama extension is not loading if there is no dual head
    available)

    1. Writing virtual driver to tell the X window system that i have two
    vga heads
    2. Faking xinerama that two displays are available.

    I am new to linux as well as X window system. Where i had to explore
    further to achieve my objective.

    Any other innovative ideas?

  2. Re: spanning display across two monitors using xinerama

    > Hi all,
    > Is there anyone who implemented spanning the display across
    > two monitors with this condition?
    > 1. One monitor is connected in VGA
    > 2. Another monitor is connected in network

    Have you been able to set-up the monitor via network?

    Regards
    Harald

  3. Re: spanning display across two monitors using xinerama

    Hi all,

    I found the solution.

    The Xserver comes with a dummy device driver that can memic a 2nd
    video card. The off screen dummy screen can be used for X clients to
    use, then a magnifier can resize and redirect to the primary screen
    for viewing. Described below is how to configure a Linux system
    running xorg's X11R6.8.1.

    Refer: http://accessibility.freestandards.o...50126-mag.html

    My ideas are already implemented by dummy driver which comes along
    with xserver

    1. Writing virtual driver to tell the X window system that i have two
    vga heads
    2. Faking xinerama that two displays are available.

    Cheers!!!!
    selva

    On Oct 19, 12:45 am, Harald
    wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > Is there anyone who implemented spanning the display across
    > > two monitors with this condition?
    > > 1. One monitor is connected in VGA
    > > 2. Another monitor is connected in network

    > Have you been able to set-up the monitor via network?
    >
    > Regards
    > Harald

+ Reply to Thread