I am switching back to fvwm2 - X

This is a discussion on I am switching back to fvwm2 - X ; After some prodding by Dan, I spent some time re-configuring fvwm2 to work a little better on my Fedora 7. The result is nice and I have my infinite controllability back and can do whatever I want, instead of whatever ...

  1. I am switching back to fvwm2

    After some prodding by Dan, I spent some time re-configuring fvwm2 to
    work a little better on my Fedora 7. The result is nice and I have my
    infinite controllability back and can do whatever I want, instead of
    whatever gnome-wm would allow me to do. For example, if I start
    mplayer, it "stays on top" and is "sticky", that is, follows me on
    various virtual screens. It is very important for me because I start
    cartoons for kids and can do my stuff on various screens, while the
    movie stays up and follows my activity so the kids can watch it
    uninterrupted.

    Here's my screenshot.

    http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/screenshot-fvwm2-00.png

  2. Re: I am switching back to fvwm2

    Ignoramus31535 writes:

    > After some prodding by Dan, I spent some time re-configuring fvwm2 to
    > work a little better on my Fedora 7. The result is nice and I have my
    > infinite controllability back and can do whatever I want, instead of
    > whatever gnome-wm would allow me to do. For example, if I start
    > mplayer, it "stays on top" and is "sticky", that is, follows me on
    > various virtual screens. It is very important for me because I start
    > cartoons for kids and can do my stuff on various screens, while the
    > movie stays up and follows my activity so the kids can watch it
    > uninterrupted.
    >
    > Here's my screenshot.
    >
    > http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/screenshot-fvwm2-00.png

    Wise choice.
    I don't think it's for everybody, but if you really want to desktop
    to do exactly what you want and only what you want I think it's a good
    choice.

  3. Re: I am switching back to fvwm2

    On 2007-10-16, Dan Espen wrote:
    > Ignoramus31535 writes:
    >
    >> After some prodding by Dan, I spent some time re-configuring fvwm2 to
    >> work a little better on my Fedora 7. The result is nice and I have my
    >> infinite controllability back and can do whatever I want, instead of
    >> whatever gnome-wm would allow me to do. For example, if I start
    >> mplayer, it "stays on top" and is "sticky", that is, follows me on
    >> various virtual screens. It is very important for me because I start
    >> cartoons for kids and can do my stuff on various screens, while the
    >> movie stays up and follows my activity so the kids can watch it
    >> uninterrupted.
    >>
    >> Here's my screenshot.
    >>
    >> http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/screenshot-fvwm2-00.png

    > Wise choice.
    > I don't think it's for everybody, but if you really want to desktop
    > to do exactly what you want and only what you want I think it's a good
    > choice.

    Dan... Thanks... That's how I feel as well... I have a few minor
    issues to work on, though.

    First of all, I do want to run Nautilus. I would like clicks in the
    nautilus background (on the cute woman's picture on the screenshot) to
    be "root window clicks" for FVWM2. That's so that by clicking there, I
    could bring the root menu. Whereas if I click Nautilus icons, I want
    Nautilus to take action based on icon. Can that be done?

    Second, I am not 100% sure, but I may want to try gnome-session
    support of more persistent sessions. Can I use gnome-session with
    fvwm2? This item is very much not critical, as I have my "on startup"
    script and it brings stuff where I want it to be automatically
    (regardless of what I was doing in the previous session).

    Third, how can I have a "lock screen" functionality that lets me
    switch from user to user ("Switch User..."), like I get with gnome-wm?

    Fourth, if I "log off" from Gnome-panel, how can I make this to end
    the X window session completely? Right now it just exits the panel.

    Thanks. I feel a lot better now that I switched to a real window
    manager.

  4. Re: I am switching back to fvwm2

    Ignoramus1841 writes:

    > On 2007-10-16, Dan Espen wrote:
    >> Ignoramus31535 writes:
    >>
    >>> After some prodding by Dan, I spent some time re-configuring fvwm2 to
    >>> work a little better on my Fedora 7. The result is nice and I have my
    >>> infinite controllability back and can do whatever I want, instead of
    >>> whatever gnome-wm would allow me to do. For example, if I start
    >>> mplayer, it "stays on top" and is "sticky", that is, follows me on
    >>> various virtual screens. It is very important for me because I start
    >>> cartoons for kids and can do my stuff on various screens, while the
    >>> movie stays up and follows my activity so the kids can watch it
    >>> uninterrupted.
    >>>
    >>> Here's my screenshot.
    >>>
    >>> http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/screenshot-fvwm2-00.png

    >> Wise choice.
    >> I don't think it's for everybody, but if you really want to desktop
    >> to do exactly what you want and only what you want I think it's a good
    >> choice.

    > Dan... Thanks... That's how I feel as well... I have a few minor
    > issues to work on, though.
    >
    > First of all, I do want to run Nautilus. I would like clicks in the
    > nautilus background (on the cute woman's picture on the screenshot) to
    > be "root window clicks" for FVWM2. That's so that by clicking there, I
    > could bring the root menu. Whereas if I click Nautilus icons, I want
    > Nautilus to take action based on icon. Can that be done?
    >
    > Second, I am not 100% sure, but I may want to try gnome-session
    > support of more persistent sessions. Can I use gnome-session with
    > fvwm2? This item is very much not critical, as I have my "on startup"
    > script and it brings stuff where I want it to be automatically
    > (regardless of what I was doing in the previous session).
    >
    > Third, how can I have a "lock screen" functionality that lets me
    > switch from user to user ("Switch User..."), like I get with gnome-wm?
    >
    > Fourth, if I "log off" from Gnome-panel, how can I make this to end
    > the X window session completely? Right now it just exits the panel.
    >
    > Thanks. I feel a lot better now that I switched to a real window
    > manager.

    Try these guys, they answer this kind of stuff all day:

    http://fvwm.lair.be/

  5. Re: I am switching back to fvwm2

    On 2007-10-16, Dan Espen wrote:
    > Ignoramus1841 writes:

    >>> Wise choice.
    >>> I don't think it's for everybody, but if you really want to desktop
    >>> to do exactly what you want and only what you want I think it's a good
    >>> choice.

    >> Dan... Thanks... That's how I feel as well... I have a few minor
    >> issues to work on, though.
    >>
    >> First of all, I do want to run Nautilus. I would like clicks in the
    >> nautilus background (on the cute woman's picture on the screenshot) to
    >> be "root window clicks" for FVWM2. That's so that by clicking there, I
    >> could bring the root menu. Whereas if I click Nautilus icons, I want
    >> Nautilus to take action based on icon. Can that be done?
    >>
    >> Second, I am not 100% sure, but I may want to try gnome-session
    >> support of more persistent sessions. Can I use gnome-session with
    >> fvwm2? This item is very much not critical, as I have my "on startup"
    >> script and it brings stuff where I want it to be automatically
    >> (regardless of what I was doing in the previous session).
    >>
    >> Third, how can I have a "lock screen" functionality that lets me
    >> switch from user to user ("Switch User..."), like I get with gnome-wm?
    >>
    >> Fourth, if I "log off" from Gnome-panel, how can I make this to end
    >> the X window session completely? Right now it just exits the panel.
    >>
    >> Thanks. I feel a lot better now that I switched to a real window
    >> manager.

    > Try these guys, they answer this kind of stuff all day:
    >
    > http://fvwm.lair.be/

    Thanks, I added them to my bookmarks, and will be visiting there soon.

  6. Re: I am switching back to fvwm2

    On 2007-10-18, Florian Diesch wrote:
    > Ignoramus1841 wrote:
    >
    >> First of all, I do want to run Nautilus. I would like clicks in the
    >> nautilus background (on the cute woman's picture on the screenshot) to
    >> be "root window clicks" for FVWM2. That's so that by clicking there, I
    >> could bring the root menu. Whereas if I click Nautilus icons, I want
    >> Nautilus to take action based on icon. Can that be done?

    > Recent versions of fvwm have a "D" context for mouse and key
    > bindings. Use something like
    >
    > Mouse 1 D A Menu rootmenu

    Yep, it works awesome.

    I run fvwm2, gnome-panel, gnome-console, nautilus, and and everything
    works very seamlessly.

    >> Second, I am not 100% sure, but I may want to try gnome-session
    >> support of more persistent sessions. Can I use gnome-session with
    >> fvwm2? This item is very much not critical, as I have my "on startup"
    >> script and it brings stuff where I want it to be automatically
    >> (regardless of what I was doing in the previous session).
    >>
    >> Third, how can I have a "lock screen" functionality that lets me
    >> switch from user to user ("Switch User..."), like I get with gnome-wm?
    >>
    >> Fourth, if I "log off" from Gnome-panel, how can I make this to end
    >> the X window session completely? Right now it just exits the panel.
    >>
    >> Thanks. I feel a lot better now that I switched to a real window
    >> manager.

    > If you want Gnome with fvwm instead of metacity start a Gnome session,
    > execute fvwm -replace and save the session

    As of right now, I simply choose the fvwm session prior to log on and
    start the Gnome stuff. Is that a bad idea?

  7. Re: I am switching back to fvwm2

    Ignoramus1841 wrote:

    > First of all, I do want to run Nautilus. I would like clicks in the
    > nautilus background (on the cute woman's picture on the screenshot) to
    > be "root window clicks" for FVWM2. That's so that by clicking there, I
    > could bring the root menu. Whereas if I click Nautilus icons, I want
    > Nautilus to take action based on icon. Can that be done?

    Recent versions of fvwm have a "D" context for mouse and key
    bindings. Use something like

    Mouse 1 D A Menu rootmenu

    > Second, I am not 100% sure, but I may want to try gnome-session
    > support of more persistent sessions. Can I use gnome-session with
    > fvwm2? This item is very much not critical, as I have my "on startup"
    > script and it brings stuff where I want it to be automatically
    > (regardless of what I was doing in the previous session).
    >
    > Third, how can I have a "lock screen" functionality that lets me
    > switch from user to user ("Switch User..."), like I get with gnome-wm?
    >
    > Fourth, if I "log off" from Gnome-panel, how can I make this to end
    > the X window session completely? Right now it just exits the panel.
    >
    > Thanks. I feel a lot better now that I switched to a real window
    > manager.

    If you want Gnome with fvwm instead of metacity start a Gnome session,
    execute fvwm -replace and save the session

    Florian

  8. Re: I am switching back to fvwm2

    Ignoramus1624 writes:

    > As of right now, I simply choose the fvwm session prior to log on and
    > start the Gnome stuff. Is that a bad idea?

    There's a session option with a title of something like "Run Xclient
    script". You can put all your startup programs in a program called
    ..xsession and have exactly what you want started for you. Here's my
    ..xsession:

    fvwm-root images/firerainbow.png &
    gkrellm --geometry -0+0 &
    fvwm

  9. Re: I am switching back to fvwm2

    Ignoramus1624 wrote:

    > On 2007-10-18, Florian Diesch wrote:
    >> Ignoramus1841 wrote:

    >>> Second, I am not 100% sure, but I may want to try gnome-session
    >>> support of more persistent sessions. Can I use gnome-session with
    >>> fvwm2? This item is very much not critical, as I have my "on startup"
    >>> script and it brings stuff where I want it to be automatically
    >>> (regardless of what I was doing in the previous session).
    >>>
    >>> Third, how can I have a "lock screen" functionality that lets me
    >>> switch from user to user ("Switch User..."), like I get with gnome-wm?
    >>>
    >>> Fourth, if I "log off" from Gnome-panel, how can I make this to end
    >>> the X window session completely? Right now it just exits the panel.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks. I feel a lot better now that I switched to a real window
    >>> manager.

    >> If you want Gnome with fvwm instead of metacity start a Gnome session,
    >> execute fvwm -replace and save the session

    > As of right now, I simply choose the fvwm session prior to log on and
    > start the Gnome stuff. Is that a bad idea?

    If it works it's fine. I just think it's easier to just use Gnome and
    replace the window manager.

    Florian