Gnome desktop advanced features? - X

This is a discussion on Gnome desktop advanced features? - X ; I am not a newbie to Linux (Used it since 1995 when I registered algebra.com), but I am a newbie to gnome desktop. I used fvwm-themes before. This fvwm-themes is actually an awesome window manager due to ints infinite configurability, ...

  1. Gnome desktop advanced features?

    I am not a newbie to Linux (Used it since 1995 when I registered
    algebra.com), but I am a newbie to gnome desktop. I used fvwm-themes
    before.

    This fvwm-themes is actually an awesome window manager due to ints
    infinite configurability, however, it was not as integrated with the
    latest GNOME features as I would like.

    So I am testing waters with just pure Gnome desktop.

    I have questions, such as:

    1) How can I start a shell script on start of X session?

    2) How can I start a specific app and assign it to a particular
    desktop number?

    3) How can I specify window traits. For example, I always want MPLAYER
    to be "on top" and "always on visible desktop". How can I specify
    that without clicking menu all the time.

    4) How can I program keyboard shortcuts, for example a function key to
    run a certain shell script

    thanks

  2. Re: Gnome desktop advanced features?

    Ignoramus12693 writes:

    > I am not a newbie to Linux (Used it since 1995 when I registered
    > algebra.com), but I am a newbie to gnome desktop. I used fvwm-themes
    > before.

    Geez, WAY to much overhead in fvwm-themes for me.
    Just plain fvwm2 is fine with me.

    > This fvwm-themes is actually an awesome window manager due to ints
    > infinite configurability, however, it was not as integrated with the
    > latest GNOME features as I would like.

    Really, I must be missing something. Like what?

    > So I am testing waters with just pure Gnome desktop.
    >
    > I have questions, such as:
    >
    > 1) How can I start a shell script on start of X session?
    >
    > 2) How can I start a specific app and assign it to a particular
    > desktop number?
    >
    > 3) How can I specify window traits. For example, I always want MPLAYER
    > to be "on top" and "always on visible desktop". How can I specify
    > that without clicking menu all the time.
    >
    > 4) How can I program keyboard shortcuts, for example a function key to
    > run a certain shell script

    Pretty sure you'll find all that stuff searching thru the various GUIs
    in Gnome. But why bother when you apparently already know how to
    do all that stuff with fvwm.

  3. Re: Gnome desktop advanced features?

    On 2007-10-13, Dan Espen wrote:
    > Ignoramus12693 writes:
    >
    >> I am not a newbie to Linux (Used it since 1995 when I registered
    >> algebra.com), but I am a newbie to gnome desktop. I used fvwm-themes
    >> before.

    > Geez, WAY to much overhead in fvwm-themes for me.
    > Just plain fvwm2 is fine with me.

    I actually agree.

    >> This fvwm-themes is actually an awesome window manager due to ints
    >> infinite configurability, however, it was not as integrated with the
    >> latest GNOME features as I would like.

    > Really, I must be missing something. Like what?

    I tried running it with gnome-panel and always had some weird
    gotchas.

    If I can resolve them, I can go back to fvwm2.

    >> So I am testing waters with just pure Gnome desktop.
    >>
    >> I have questions, such as:
    >>
    >> 1) How can I start a shell script on start of X session?
    >>
    >> 2) How can I start a specific app and assign it to a particular
    >> desktop number?
    >>
    >> 3) How can I specify window traits. For example, I always want MPLAYER
    >> to be "on top" and "always on visible desktop". How can I specify
    >> that without clicking menu all the time.
    >>
    >> 4) How can I program keyboard shortcuts, for example a function key to
    >> run a certain shell script

    > Pretty sure you'll find all that stuff searching thru the various GUIs
    > in Gnome. But why bother when you apparently already know how to
    > do all that stuff with fvwm.

    So, you also think that fvwm is better? I ran it for about 11 years,
    almost right after I started using linux. I heard that Linux is also
    still running it.

    I do like gnome-panel and gnome applets. If I can make these two work
    together, I will be happy.

  4. Re: Gnome desktop advanced features?

    Ignoramus3531 writes:

    > On 2007-10-13, Dan Espen wrote:
    >> Ignoramus12693 writes:
    >>
    >>> I am not a newbie to Linux (Used it since 1995 when I registered
    >>> algebra.com), but I am a newbie to gnome desktop. I used fvwm-themes
    >>> before.

    >> Geez, WAY to much overhead in fvwm-themes for me.
    >> Just plain fvwm2 is fine with me.

    > I actually agree.
    >
    >>> This fvwm-themes is actually an awesome window manager due to ints
    >>> infinite configurability, however, it was not as integrated with the
    >>> latest GNOME features as I would like.

    >> Really, I must be missing something. Like what?

    > I tried running it with gnome-panel and always had some weird
    > gotchas.
    >
    > If I can resolve them, I can go back to fvwm2.

    It starts for me and seems to work.
    Personally I don't like ANYTHING that takes up screen space.
    I don't run FvwmPager, I can switch desks and pages just fine without it.
    I don't run FvwmTaskBar or FvwmButtons, I can launch things just fine from
    keyboard shortcuts or the Fvwm menus.
    Basically, the only thing on my desktop is the background image,
    a clock, a mail notifier, a perf guage, and icons for minimized apps.

    The screenshot is a little misleading, I rarely open more than one window
    at a time:

    http://www.fvwm.org/screenshots/desk...screenshot.gif

    > So, you also think that fvwm is better? I ran it for about 11 years,
    > almost right after I started using linux. I heard that Linux is also
    > still running it.

    Linus? I think he switched, don't know for sure.

    > I do like gnome-panel and gnome applets. If I can make these two work
    > together, I will be happy.

    Well the panel appears to work for me.
    I think you need to add ?struts? to the config file to tell fvwm not
    to put windows on top of it. Not sure what else.
    There's a mailing list and an IRC channel for Fvwm.

  5. Re: Gnome desktop advanced features?

    Dan Espen wrote:

    > Ignoramus3531 writes:

    >>> Geez, WAY to much overhead in fvwm-themes for me.
    >>> Just plain fvwm2 is fine with me.

    >> I actually agree.

    >>> Really, I must be missing something. Like what?

    >> I tried running it with gnome-panel and always had some weird
    >> gotchas.
    >>
    >> If I can resolve them, I can go back to fvwm2.

    > It starts for me and seems to work.
    > Personally I don't like ANYTHING that takes up screen space.
    > I don't run FvwmPager, I can switch desks and pages just fine without
    > it.

    I start it with -transient if I need it. As I have 25 desks I'd
    sometimes get lost without it.

    > I don't run FvwmTaskBar or FvwmButtons, I can launch things just fine from
    > keyboard shortcuts or the Fvwm menus.
    > Basically, the only thing on my desktop is the background image,
    > a clock, a mail notifier, a perf guage, and icons for minimized apps.

    It's the same for me, except for the clock, the mail notifier, the perf
    guage and the icons ;-)

    > The screenshot is a little misleading, I rarely open more than one window
    > at a time:

    Currently I have 23 xterms, 4 Emacs windows, Galeon, Glade, quodlibet, 3
    xpdf, Gimp and gthumb

    Florian

  6. Re: Gnome desktop advanced features?

    Florian Diesch writes:

    > Dan Espen wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus3531 writes:

    >>> I actually agree.

    >>> I tried running it with gnome-panel and always had some weird
    >>> gotchas.
    >>>
    >>> If I can resolve them, I can go back to fvwm2.

    >> It starts for me and seems to work.
    >> Personally I don't like ANYTHING that takes up screen space.
    >> I don't run FvwmPager, I can switch desks and pages just fine without
    >> it.

    > I start it with -transient if I need it. As I have 25 desks I'd
    > sometimes get lost without it.

    4 pages seems to be enough for me.

    >> I don't run FvwmTaskBar or FvwmButtons, I can launch things just fine from
    >> keyboard shortcuts or the Fvwm menus.
    >> Basically, the only thing on my desktop is the background image,
    >> a clock, a mail notifier, a perf guage, and icons for minimized apps.

    > It's the same for me, except for the clock, the mail notifier, the perf
    > guage and the icons ;-)

    Yep, lots of people don't like icons but I only have a few and I think the
    minimized apps have to go somewhere.

    >> The screenshot is a little misleading, I rarely open more than one window
    >> at a time:

    > Currently I have 23 xterms, 4 Emacs windows, Galeon, Glade, quodlibet, 3
    > xpdf, Gimp and gthumb

    Goodness.
    Hear that 20+ xterms a lot.
    I only have one or 2. Each one has a unique root window
    key binding to create/un-minimize.

    Do all my real work in the Emacs window.

+ Reply to Thread