Is it possible to extended the display, not a mirror, from a single headed graphics card? - X

This is a discussion on Is it possible to extended the display, not a mirror, from a single headed graphics card? - X ; Hi, Is it possible to extended the display, not a mirror, from a single headed graphics card? (seems to be possible) I don't want to use Xdmx for this. What i want is that i would like to access the ...

  1. Is it possible to extended the display, not a mirror, from a single headed graphics card?

    Hi,

    Is it possible to extended the display, not a mirror, from a single
    headed graphics card? (seems to be possible)

    I don't want to use Xdmx for this. What i want is that i would like to
    access the extended display area.

    Xinerama may be solution for this because it is supporting extended
    display(spanning the display) with multi head graphics card.

    Plz suggest me a solution.

    Thanks in advance,
    selva.

  2. Re: Is it possible to extended the display, not a mirror, from a single headed graphics card?

    on Wednesday 10 October 2007 18:10
    in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.x
    selva wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it possible to extended the display, not a mirror, from a single
    > headed graphics card? (seems to be possible)

    What do you want? Do you want to run two monitor (showing different
    things) from a single video card with a single VGA port?

    In the past I have run two monitors with each plugged into a video
    card, where each card had only one VGA port. Each monitor was
    displaying part of the desktop.

    > I don't want to use Xdmx for this. What i want is that i would like to
    > access the extended display area.
    >
    > Xinerama may be solution for this because it is supporting extended
    > display(spanning the display) with multi head graphics card.

    I was using Xinerama.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  3. Re: Is it possible to extended the display, not a mirror, from a single headed graphics card?

    Hi ,

    I think this is what i want. still i am elborating the objective in
    detail

    > In the past I have run two monitors with each plugged into a video
    > card, where each card had only one VGA port. Each monitor was
    > displaying part of the desktop.

    u can see the spanned display by using xinerama in multi-headed
    graphics card.

    Primary display in one monitor and secondary display in second
    monitor.

    Part of display is showing in primary(First head) and anonther part is
    in secondary(second head).

    I have two pc's which is connected in network. Each is having single
    head graphics card.

    In my primary display, i want to appear like my graphics card is
    having two head, like virtual head.

    So that i can capture the secondary display and send it to another pc
    over network like VNC.

    Extending the primary display over the network as Xdmx does.

    Plz suggest me a solution

    cheers!
    selva

    On Oct 10, 6:21 pm, "Peter D." wrote:
    > on Wednesday 10 October 2007 18:10
    > in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.x
    >
    > selva wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > Is it possible to extended the display, not a mirror, from a single
    > > headed graphics card? (seems to be possible)

    > What do you want? Do you want to run two monitor (showing different
    > things) from a single video card with a single VGA port?
    >
    > In the past I have run two monitors with each plugged into a video
    > card, where each card had only one VGA port. Each monitor was
    > displaying part of the desktop.
    >
    > > I don't want to use Xdmx for this. What i want is that i would like to
    > > access the extended display area.

    > > Xinerama may be solution for this because it is supporting extended
    > > display(spanning the display) with multi head graphics card.

    > I was using Xinerama.
    >
    > > Plz suggest me a solution.

    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > selva.

    > --
    > sig goes here...
    > Peter D.

  4. Re: Is it possible to extended the display, not a mirror, from a single headed graphics card?

    on Thursday 11 October 2007 17:42
    selva wrote:

    > Hi ,
    >
    > I think this is what i want. still i am elborating the objective in
    > detail
    >
    >> In the past I have run two monitors with each plugged into a video
    >> card, where each card had only one VGA port. Each monitor was
    >> displaying part of the desktop.

    > u can see the spanned display by using xinerama in multi-headed
    > graphics card.
    >
    > Primary display in one monitor and secondary display in second
    > monitor.
    >
    > Part of display is showing in primary(First head) and anonther part is
    > in secondary(second head).
    >
    > I have two pc's which is connected in network. Each is having single
    > head graphics card.
    >
    > In my primary display, i want to appear like my graphics card is
    > having two head, like virtual head.
    >
    > So that i can capture the secondary display and send it to another pc
    > over network like VNC.
    >
    > Extending the primary display over the network as Xdmx does.

    [snip]

    What I have done in the past is plug two video cards into one
    computer and have one large screen split over two monitors
    (with each monitor plugged into a separate video card).

    Are you trying to display one large screen split over two
    monitors each plugged into *different computers*? Theoretically
    that should be OK, if the network is good enough, but I suggest
    that you try the easier problem with two video cards plugged
    into one computer first.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  5. Re: Is it possible to extended the display, not a mirror, from a single headed graphics card?

    Hi,
    > Are you trying to display one large screen split over two
    > monitors each plugged into *different computers*? Theoretically
    > that should be OK, if the network is good enough, but I suggest
    > that you try the easier problem with two video cards plugged
    > into one computer first.

    I have done with two video cards. It is working fine. Now i want to do
    the same with single head , two display.

    One display will be connected by VGA, another display will be
    connected through network.

    I would like to capture the extended display interms of memory, then i
    will transfer it across network. So that we can see the extended
    display in remote machine.

    My problem is how can i fake the Xserver that i have two video
    cards(Actually i have only one), then only it will span the display.

    Any ideas......................?

    selva.

    On Oct 12, 8:59 am, "Peter D." wrote:
    > on Thursday 11 October 2007 17:42
    > in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.x
    >

    > selva wrote:
    > > Hi ,

    > > I think this is what i want. still i am elborating the objective in
    > > detail

    > >> In the past I have run two monitors with each plugged into a video
    > >> card, where each card had only one VGA port. Each monitor was
    > >> displaying part of the desktop.

    > > u can see the spanned display by using xinerama in multi-headed
    > > graphics card.

    > > Primary display in one monitor and secondary display in second
    > > monitor.

    > > Part of display is showing in primary(First head) and anonther part is
    > > in secondary(second head).

    > > I have two pc's which is connected in network. Each is having single
    > > head graphics card.

    > > In my primary display, i want to appear like my graphics card is
    > > having two head, like virtual head.

    > > So that i can capture the secondary display and send it to another pc
    > > over network like VNC.

    > > Extending the primary display over the network as Xdmx does.

    > [snip]
    >
    > What I have done in the past is plug two video cards into one
    > computer and have one large screen split over two monitors
    > (with each monitor plugged into a separate video card).
    >
    > Are you trying to display one large screen split over two
    > monitors each plugged into *different computers*? Theoretically
    > that should be OK, if the network is good enough, but I suggest
    > that you try the easier problem with two video cards plugged
    > into one computer first.
    >

    > --
    > sig goes here...
    > Peter D.

  6. Re: Is it possible to extended the display, not a mirror, from a single headed graphics card?

    on Monday 15 October 2007 15:43
    selva wrote:

    > Hi,
    >> Are you trying to display one large screen split over two
    >> monitors each plugged into *different computers*? Theoretically
    >> that should be OK, if the network is good enough, but I suggest
    >> that you try the easier problem with two video cards plugged
    >> into one computer first.
    >>

    > I have done with two video cards. It is working fine. Now i want to do
    > the same with single head , two display.
    >
    > One display will be connected by VGA, another display will be
    > connected through network.

    [snip]

    That is too hard for me. Good luck.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  7. Re: Is it possible to extended the display, not a mirror, from a single headed graphics card?

    Hi all,

    I found the solution.

    The Xserver comes with a dummy device driver that can memic a 2nd
    video card. The off screen dummy screen can be used for X clients to
    use, then a magnifier can resize and redirect to the primary screen
    for viewing. Described below is how to configure a Linux system
    running xorg's X11R6.8.1.

    Refer: http://accessibility.freestandards.o...50126-mag.html

    My ideas are already implemented by dummy driver which comes along
    with xserver

    1. Writing virtual driver to tell the X window system that i have two
    vga heads
    2. Faking xinerama that two displays are available.

    Cheers!!!!
    selva

    On Oct 16, 11:04 am, "Peter D." wrote:
    > on Monday 15 October 2007 15:43
    > in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.x
    >
    > selva wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >> Are you trying to display one large screen split over two
    > >> monitors each plugged into *different computers*? Theoretically
    > >> that should be OK, if the network is good enough, but I suggest
    > >> that you try the easier problem with two video cards plugged
    > >> into one computer first.

    > > I have done with two video cards. It is working fine. Now i want to do
    > > the same with single head , two display.

    > > One display will be connected by VGA, another display will be
    > > connected through network.

    > [snip]
    >
    > That is too hard for me. Good luck.
    >
    > --