I have been trying unsuccessfully to get Xnest to work. I know the
manual mentions the occasional crash but this is 100% reliable every
time.

In all other respects X works just fine. As soon as I try
Xnest :1 &
I get dumped back to the xdm login screen (or at least the Xnest window
opens for a fraction of a second then gone). It would appear that the
connection to :0 gets lost. It doesn't seem to be a auth problem as I
can use -ac and it makes no difference. Also xauth list looks correct.

I have tried with and without xdm same problem. Also tried running two X
servers one on vt7 the other on vt8 and this works fine. I would prefer
to use the Xnest way if possible. I am using Openbox but other window
managers (ratpoison & wmaker) exhibit the same symptom.

The system isn't a typical workstation (siliconmotion sm720, elographics
touchscreen, no mouse elo=corepointer, currently it does have a
keyboard) and I wonder if this is the problem.

The usual /var/log/ files never capture anything. I have done an strace
on Xnest which doesn't appear to show anything except complaints about
fonts. I have assumed, maybe wrongly, that as I am running xfs that this
should not be a problem.

I am at a complete loss as to what might be causing this problem and
would appreciate any suggestions.

Debian Sarge
Kernel 2.6.8-1-686
Xnest & xserver-xfree86 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4