how do I reload a font - X

This is a discussion on how do I reload a font - X ; I am adding characters to a cjk unicode font that I use. But I don't know how to see the new characters in my editor untill I have restarted X. Is it possible to somehow reload the font without restarting ...

  1. how do I reload a font

    I am adding characters to a cjk unicode font that I use. But I don't
    know how to see the new characters in my editor untill I have restarted
    X. Is it possible to somehow reload the font without restarting X?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: how do I reload a font

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:36:45 +0100, case wrote:
    >I am adding characters to a cjk unicode font that I use. But I don't
    >know how to see the new characters in my editor untill I have restarted
    >X. Is it possible to somehow reload the font without restarting X?

    Have you tried restarting the x font server?
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart

  3. Re: how do I reload a font

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:28:40 -0600, TCS staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:36:45 +0100, case wrote:
    >>I am adding characters to a cjk unicode font that I use. But I don't
    >>know how to see the new characters in my editor untill I have
    >>restarted X. Is it possible to somehow reload the font without
    >>restarting X?

    > Have you tried restarting the x font server?
    > /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart

    That only works if you're running XFS, which is a bad idea in most
    cases (one more thing that can fail). If you run "mkfontdir
    /path/to/directory/where/font/is" followed by "xset fp rehash", things
    should work--though you may have to restart the application that's using
    the font for it to see the changes.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  4. Re: how do I reload a font

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > > I am adding characters to a cjk unicode font that I use. But I don't
    > > know how to see the new characters in my editor untill I have
    > > restarted
    > > X. Is it possible to somehow reload the font without restarting X?

    > If you run "mkfontdir
    > /path/to/directory/where/font/is" followed by "xset fp rehash", things
    > should work--though you may have to restart the application that's
    > using
    > the font for it to see the changes.

    I seems xset fp rehash suffices (which makes sense, mkfontdir should
    be necessary only for entirely new fonts). I thought I tried xset fp rehash
    earlier, but must have messed up somehow at that time

    Thanks, both of you,
    C.

  5. Re: how do I reload a font

    case wrote:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    > > > I am adding characters to a cjk unicode font that I use. But I don't
    > > > know how to see the new characters in my editor untill I have
    > > > restarted
    > > > X. Is it possible to somehow reload the font without restarting X?

    > > If you run "mkfontdir
    > > /path/to/directory/where/font/is" followed by "xset fp rehash", things
    > > should work--though you may have to restart the application that's
    > > using
    > > the font for it to see the changes.

    > I seems xset fp rehash suffices (which makes sense, mkfontdir should
    > be necessary only for entirely new fonts). I thought I tried xset fp rehash
    > earlier, but must have messed up somehow at that time
    >
    > Thanks, both of you,
    > C.

    I experimented some more. I was working in gvim, but had multiple
    versions open. I seems I have to close them all, not just one...
    bummer...

+ Reply to Thread