X server, monitor problems even though monitors are found - X

This is a discussion on X server, monitor problems even though monitors are found - X ; Hi I'm having trouble getting it up and running. Here are what I think are the important Hardware facts: 15" Magitronic Monitor GXE64 Pro video Card by number nine ( www.nine.com ). I'm trying to get it running on Debian ...

  1. X server, monitor problems even though monitors are found

    Hi
    I'm having trouble getting it up and running. Here are what I think are the
    important Hardware facts: 15" Magitronic Monitor
    GXE64 Pro video Card by number nine (www.nine.com).
    I'm trying to get it running on Debian 3.0r4

    Driver: VESA

    The Error Message(s):
    (EE)Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

    Question:
    How do I fix this so that the X server works.

    Thanks
    Godric

  2. Re: X server, monitor problems even though monitors are found

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:55:42 -0500, Godric de Mimsy Porpignions
    staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I'm having trouble getting it up and running. Here are what I think
    > are the important Hardware facts: 15" Magitronic Monitor GXE64 Pro
    > video Card by number nine (www.nine.com).
    > I'm trying to get it running on Debian 3.0r4
    > Driver: VESA

    Wrong. You probably want the "i128" X server, not "vesa", because VESA
    is locked to 60Hz Vrefresh, is slow, and lacks a bunch of useful
    extensions that are present in all the other X servers.

    > (EE)Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
    > How do I fix this so that the X server works?

    You post the version of X you're using first. If you're still using X
    3.3.6, we need to know because a lot changed between then and now. You
    find out the X version with "X -version". Then you take your xorg.conf
    or XF86Config file, post it on your webspace, and follow up to this
    message with a URL that points to the file you posted. Then someone who
    reads this newsfroup can look at the file and point out exactly what the
    problem is. Then, you make the changes that were suggested, restart X,
    and see if it works. If it doesn't, you post the errors you got,
    someone suggests more stuff, you try it... repeat until it works or you
    get sick of it.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: X server, monitor problems even though monitors are found

    X version = 4.1.0.1
    Go see:
    http://nic-nac-project.de/~godric/XF86Config.new

    Thanks
    Godric
    "Dances With Crows" wrote in message
    news:slrncvavta.etl.danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@samant ha.crow202.dyndns.org...
    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:55:42 -0500, Godric de Mimsy Porpignions
    > staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >> I'm having trouble getting it up and running. Here are what I think
    >> are the important Hardware facts: 15" Magitronic Monitor GXE64 Pro
    >> video Card by number nine (www.nine.com).
    >> I'm trying to get it running on Debian 3.0r4
    >> Driver: VESA

    > Wrong. You probably want the "i128" X server, not "vesa", because VESA
    > is locked to 60Hz Vrefresh, is slow, and lacks a bunch of useful
    > extensions that are present in all the other X servers.
    >
    >> (EE)Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
    >> How do I fix this so that the X server works?

    > You post the version of X you're using first. If you're still using X
    > 3.3.6, we need to know because a lot changed between then and now. You
    > find out the X version with "X -version". Then you take your xorg.conf
    > or XF86Config file, post it on your webspace, and follow up to this
    > message with a URL that points to the file you posted. Then someone who
    > reads this newsfroup can look at the file and point out exactly what the
    > problem is. Then, you make the changes that were suggested, restart X,
    > and see if it works. If it doesn't, you post the errors you got,
    > someone suggests more stuff, you try it... repeat until it works or you
    > get sick of it.
    >
    > --
    > Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to
    > see
    > Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin / mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
    > http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!
    > -----------------------------/ http://crow202.dyndns.org/~mhgraham/resume

  4. Re: X server, monitor problems even though monitors are found

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:50:45 -0500, Godric de Mimsy Porpignions
    staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > "Dances With Crows" wrote in
    > message
    > news:slrncvavta.etl.danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@samant ha.crow202.dyndns.org...
    >> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:55:42 -0500, Godric de Mimsy Porpignions
    >> staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >>> I'm having trouble getting it up and running. Here are what I think
    >>> are the important Hardware facts: 15" Magitronic Monitor GXE64 Pro
    >>> video Card by number nine (www.nine.com). I'm trying to get it
    >>> running on Debian 3.0r4
    >>> Driver: VESA

    >> Wrong. You probably want the "i128" X server, not "vesa", because
    >> VESA is locked to 60Hz Vrefresh, is slow, and lacks a bunch of useful
    >>> (EE)Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
    >>> How do I fix this so that the X server works?

    > X version = 4.1.0.1
    > http://nic-nac-project.de/~godric/XF86Config.new

    (relevant file sections reproduced below since they're fairly short)

    >Section "InputDevice"
    > Identifier "Mouse0"
    > Driver "mouse"
    > Option "Protocol" "auto"
    > Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    >EndSection

    "auto" isn't usually what you want for Protocol unless you have a 9-pin
    serial mouse. Use "imps/2" for wheelmice, and add the line

    ZAxisMapping 4 5

    for wheelmice to take advantage of the wheel.

    >Section "Device"
    > Identifier "Card0"
    > Driver "vesa"
    >EndSection

    Try changing the Driver to "i128". This should work for all Number Nine
    cards according to the man pages I've read.

    >Section "Screen"
    > Identifier "Screen0"
    > Device "Card0"
    > Monitor "Monitor0"
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 1

    Aha. You should delete all the SubSections that refer to Depths smaller
    than 16, since all modern cards can handle 16-bit color.

    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 16
    > EndSubSection
    >EndSection

    You need a Modes line in this SubSection. Add one, like so:

    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

    ....replacing the numbers with the resolutions you want to use. The
    largest Mode you define will be the size of the root window unless you
    use xrandr (which didn't exist in X 4.1) so don't define a Mode that's
    larger than the resolution you usually want to use.

    >Section "ServerLayout"
    > Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
    > Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    > InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    > InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    >EndSection

    This is OK. Change the X config file like I said, restart X, see what
    happens! HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  5. Re: X server, monitor problems even though monitors are found

    ok. updated version available,
    http://nic-nac-project.de/~godric/XF86Config.new
    old version, http://nic-nac-project.de/~godric/XF86Config.old

    >"auto" isn't usually what you want for Protocol unless you have a 9-pin

    serial mouse. Use "imps/2" for wheelmice, and add the line"

    Yeah, I have a Logitech 2-click 9-pin mouse... old fashion that you have to
    move accross your desk.

    It says it can't find Core Pointer.... Mouse?
    "(WW) No core pointer registered
    No core pointer"

    I've uploaded the log just in case.

    http://nic-nac-project.de/~godric/XF86Config.new

    Big-Thanks

    news:slrncvbait.bii.danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@samant ha.crow202.dyndns.org...
    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:50:45 -0500, Godric de Mimsy Porpignions
    > staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >> "Dances With Crows" wrote in
    >> message
    >> news:slrncvavta.etl.danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@samant ha.crow202.dyndns.org...
    >>> Wrong. You probably want the "i128" X server, not "vesa", because
    >>> VESA is locked to 60Hz Vrefresh, is slow, and lacks a bunch of useful

    >> X version = 4.1.0.1
    >> http://nic-nac-project.de/~godric/XF86Config.new

    > (relevant file sections reproduced below since they're fairly short)
    >
    >>Section "InputDevice"
    >> Identifier "Mouse0"
    >> Driver "mouse"
    >> Option "Protocol" "auto"
    >> Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    >>EndSection

    > "auto" isn't usually what you want for Protocol unless you have a 9-pin
    > serial mouse. Use "imps/2" for wheelmice, and add the line
    >
    > ZAxisMapping 4 5
    >
    > for wheelmice to take advantage of the wheel.
    >
    >>Section "Device"
    >> Identifier "Card0"
    >> Driver "vesa"
    >>EndSection

    > Try changing the Driver to "i128". This should work for all Number Nine
    > cards according to the man pages I've read.
    >
    >>Section "Screen"
    >> Identifier "Screen0"
    >> Device "Card0"
    >> Monitor "Monitor0"
    >> SubSection "Display"
    >> Depth 1

    > Aha. You should delete all the SubSections that refer to Depths smaller
    > than 16, since all modern cards can handle 16-bit color.
    >
    >> SubSection "Display"
    >> Depth 16
    >> EndSubSection
    >>EndSection

    > You need a Modes line in this SubSection. Add one, like so:
    >
    > Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    >
    > ...replacing the numbers with the resolutions you want to use. The
    > largest Mode you define will be the size of the root window unless you
    > use xrandr (which didn't exist in X 4.1) so don't define a Mode that's
    > larger than the resolution you usually want to use.
    >
    >>Section "ServerLayout"
    >> Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
    >> Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    >> InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    >> InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    >>EndSection

    > This is OK. Change the X config file like I said, restart X, see what
    > happens! HTH,
    >
    > --
    > Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to
    > see
    > Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin / mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
    > http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!
    > -----------------------------/ http://crow202.dyndns.org/~mhgraham/resume

+ Reply to Thread