Need help with X.org on a NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD - X

This is a discussion on Need help with X.org on a NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD - X ; I just got a Thinkpad 380D. This has a NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD with an 800x600 display, and can display 16 bit color at 800x600. I just installed Mandrake 10.1 on it, and selected the X server for the NeoMagic 128XD, ...

  1. Need help with X.org on a NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD

    I just got a Thinkpad 380D. This has a NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD with
    an 800x600 display, and can display 16 bit color at 800x600. I just
    installed Mandrake 10.1 on it, and selected the X server for the
    NeoMagic 128XD, specifying 800x600x16 bit. When X is started, I get
    thin colored bands going up the screen, followed by a system freeze.
    Mandrake's installer in rescue mode fails on this machine, however I
    can boot into single user mode.

    Questions:

    What configuration SHOULD I be using?

    What X server should I be using?

    How can I change the X configuration without reinstalling the OS?
    What files and values do I need to change?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Need help with X.org on a NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD

    On 22 Jan 2005 14:22:11 -0800, nooneinparticular314159@yahoo.com
    staggered into the Black Sun and said:

    You multi-posted this article to at least 3 newsgroups; this one,
    col.hardware, and col.misc . *Don't* *do* *that*. If you feel a
    question is appropriate for multiple newsgroups, cross-post, don't
    multi-post. You cross-post an article by putting multiple newsgroups in
    the Newsgroups: line, like so:

    Newsgroups: alt.flame,alt.religion.kibology,comp.lang.perl.mis c

    ....see? Do that in the future. It's also considered good manners to
    set a Followup-To: when you cross-post something.

    > I just got a Thinkpad 380D. This has a NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD with
    > an 800x600 display, and can display 16 bit color at 800x600. I just
    > installed Mandrake 10.1 on it. When X is started, I get thin colored
    > bands going up the screen, followed by a system freeze.
    >
    > What configuration SHOULD I be using? What X server should I be
    > using? How can I change the X configuration without reinstalling the
    > OS? What files and values do I need to change?

    X's configuration is stored in /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    .. You can edit it with any text editor. You need to be using the
    neomagic X server. The man page for neomagic says this:

    Note
    On some laptops using the 2160 chipset (MagicGraph 128XD) the following
    options are needed to avoid a lock-up of the graphic engine:
    Option "XaaNoScanlineImageWriteRect"
    Option "XaaNoScanlineCPUToScreenColorExpandFill"

    ....so put those Options in the Device section of your config file,
    restart X, see if it works.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!