Building a Linux and X11 Kiosk - X

This is a discussion on Building a Linux and X11 Kiosk - X ; I need to build a Linux box that runs one, and only one, application. I'd like the machine to boot up, start X, automatically log on to a particular (no-security) user account, start an application and provide no mechanism for ...

  1. Building a Linux and X11 Kiosk

    I need to build a Linux box that runs one, and only one, application. I'd
    like the machine to boot up, start X, automatically log on to a particular
    (no-security) user account, start an application and provide no mechanism
    for starting any other apps. The app does have some dialogs that pop up,
    so I'll need some sort of rudimentary window management, but I don't want
    the user to be able to do anything else. When the user exits the
    application, I would like the machine to shut down.

    All system administration will be performed via SSH.

    I'm sure that this is relatively easy to do, but I'm not sure how. I did
    find the Kiosk HOWTO by Gene Wilburn, but there are a few things I don't
    like about his approach. Specifically:

    1. Everything runs as root. I would prefer to use a non-privileged
    account, in case the user does find some way to get access to the system.

    2. It looks like he configures FVWM to eliminate all borders and handles on
    windows. That's nice for the "root" application window, but dialogs still
    need these things.

    3. I'd like the machine to shut down when the application is closed.

    Any comments about how to achieve these goals? Or how to modify Wilburn's
    approach to achieve them? I'm doing this with SuSE Professional 9.2, but
    I'm sure I can accomodate for any differences between distros, so don't let
    unfamiliarity with this one dissuade you from responding.

    Thanks,

    Shawn.

  2. Re: Building a Linux and X11 Kiosk

    Shawn Willden wrote:
    > I need to build a Linux box that runs one, and only one, application. I'd
    > like the machine to boot up, start X, automatically log on to a particular
    > (no-security) user account, start an application and provide no mechanism
    > for starting any other apps. The app does have some dialogs that pop up,
    > so I'll need some sort of rudimentary window management, but I don't want
    > the user to be able to do anything else. When the user exits the
    > application, I would like the machine to shut down.

    What about something really simple.

    Something like

    /etc/rc.d/rc.init

    #!/bin/bash
    sudo -u user xinit
    shutdown -h

    /home/user/.xinitrc
    fvwm&
    sleep 5
    /usr/bin/myapplication

    Which will start the application, and exit when it exits.

    > like about his approach. Specifically:
    >
    > 1. Everything runs as root. I would prefer to use a non-privileged
    > account, in case the user does find some way to get access to the system.
    >
    > 2. It looks like he configures FVWM to eliminate all borders and handles on
    > windows. That's nice for the "root" application window, but dialogs still
    > need these things.

  3. Re: Building a Linux and X11 Kiosk

    Shawn Willden wrote:

    > I need to build a Linux box that runs one, and only one, application. I'd

    KDE has a kiosk mode. Google for that or search http://www.kde.org/
    One of many links http://dot.kde.org/997748764/

+ Reply to Thread