Tuxracer crash (again) - X

This is a discussion on Tuxracer crash (again) - X ; I've been trying to get tuxracer running on a particular machine. It keeps crashing. I've put the logs up on my home webserver.... It's a bit crude, but if anyone can help me I have the files at: http://66.178.130.209/pci.info http://66.178.130.209/tux.crash ...

  1. Tuxracer crash (again)

    I've been trying to get tuxracer running on a particular machine. It
    keeps crashing.

    I've put the logs up on my home webserver.... It's a bit crude, but if
    anyone can help me I have the files at:

    http://66.178.130.209/pci.info
    http://66.178.130.209/tux.crash
    http://66.178.130.209/Xorg.0.log
    http://66.178.130.209/xorg.conf

    That web site *should* let you in, but at the moment I have no way to test
    from outside the network....

    Basically the crash is due to Tuxracer trying to set a video mode that
    doesn't exist.

    Any help would be appreciated....

    The system is an all-in-one box with an i810 shared memory chipset. DRI
    is confgured and works... The monitor is an LCD monitor.

  2. Re: Tuxracer crash (again)

    Captain Dondo wrote:
    > I've been trying to get tuxracer running on a particular machine. It
    > keeps crashing.
    >
    > I've put the logs up on my home webserver.... It's a bit crude, but if
    > anyone can help me I have the files at:
    >
    > http://66.178.130.209/pci.info
    > http://66.178.130.209/tux.crash
    > http://66.178.130.209/Xorg.0.log
    > http://66.178.130.209/xorg.conf
    >
    > That web site *should* let you in, but at the moment I have no way to test
    > from outside the network....
    >
    > Basically the crash is due to Tuxracer trying to set a video mode that
    > doesn't exist.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated....
    >
    > The system is an all-in-one box with an i810 shared memory chipset. DRI
    > is confgured and works... The monitor is an LCD monitor.

    Some LCD monitors may be slow at refreshing pixels onscreen.. they may
    not be best suited for gaming ..

  3. Re: Tuxracer crash (again)

    Captain Dondo wrote:
    > http://66.178.130.209/pci.info
    > http://66.178.130.209/tux.crash
    > http://66.178.130.209/Xorg.0.log
    > http://66.178.130.209/xorg.conf

    A free advice. Never post your IP in a newsgroup telling you
    have some kind of problem, and never one that don't seem to be
    too hard to solve. It's like wearing a paper in your back
    writed "Hack me, please". At least close all ports with your
    firewall but the one for HTTP and look that you have Apache
    updated.

    --

    Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
    Director Tecnico de bgSEC

    like fabulous yellow Roman candles.
    -- Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

  4. Re: Tuxracer crash (again)

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:05:45 +0100, Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez wrote:

    > Captain Dondo wrote:
    >> http://66.178.130.209/pci.info
    >> http://66.178.130.209/tux.crash
    >> http://66.178.130.209/Xorg.0.log
    >> http://66.178.130.209/xorg.conf

    > A free advice. Never post your IP in a newsgroup telling you
    > have some kind of problem, and never one that don't seem to be
    > too hard to solve. It's like wearing a paper in your back
    > writed "Hack me, please". At least close all ports with your
    > firewall but the one for HTTP and look that you have Apache
    > updated.

    Well, I ran a port scan against my system, and here's the sage advice I
    got:

    You have blocked all of our probes! We still recommend running this test both with
    and without Sygate Personal Firewall enabled... so turn it off and try the
    test again.

    Well, duh. I never thought turning off the firewall was a useful way of
    assessing security....

    Anyway, since the server will be public shortly, I better be relatively
    secure....

  5. Re: Tuxracer crash (again)

    Captain Dondo wrote:
    > I've been trying to get tuxracer running on a particular machine. It
    > keeps crashing.
    >
    > I've put the logs up on my home webserver.... It's a bit crude, but if
    > anyone can help me I have the files at:
    >
    > http://66.178.130.209/pci.info
    > http://66.178.130.209/tux.crash
    > http://66.178.130.209/Xorg.0.log
    > http://66.178.130.209/xorg.conf
    >
    > That web site *should* let you in, but at the moment I have no way to test
    > from outside the network....
    >
    > Basically the crash is due to Tuxracer trying to set a video mode that
    > doesn't exist.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated....
    >
    > The system is an all-in-one box with an i810 shared memory chipset. DRI
    > is confgured and works... The monitor is an LCD monitor.

    Does your graphics card support OpenGL ?
    TuxRacer is a 3D OpenGL game.

    Check glxinfo. It should print "direct rendering: Yes" if hardware
    acceleration is available.

    # glxinfo | grep rendering
    direct rendering: Yes
    .....................^......

    OpenGL speed test:
    # glxgears

    ---------------------------------

    Check also other reports....
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/beta/lon...buglist=132267

    Just quessing:
    Do you need GLcore in the Module section?

    Comment out "dri" and "fbdevhw".
    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "extmod"
    # Load "fbdevhw"
    Load "glx"
    Load "GlCore"
    Load "record"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "type1"
    Load "dri"
    EndSection

    -----------------------------------

    // moma
    http://www.futuredesktop.org/how2burn.html#mirrors

  6. Re: Tuxracer crash (again)

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:10:08 +0100, moma wrote:

    > Captain Dondo wrote:
    >> I've been trying to get tuxracer running on a particular machine. It
    >> keeps crashing.
    >>
    >> I've put the logs up on my home webserver.... It's a bit crude, but if
    >> anyone can help me I have the files at:
    >>
    >> http://66.178.130.209/pci.info
    >> http://66.178.130.209/tux.crash
    >> http://66.178.130.209/Xorg.0.log
    >> http://66.178.130.209/xorg.conf
    >>
    >> That web site *should* let you in, but at the moment I have no way to test
    >> from outside the network....
    >>
    >> Basically the crash is due to Tuxracer trying to set a video mode that
    >> doesn't exist.
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated....
    >>
    >> The system is an all-in-one box with an i810 shared memory chipset. DRI
    >> is confgured and works... The monitor is an LCD monitor.
    >>

    > Does your graphics card support OpenGL ?
    > TuxRacer is a 3D OpenGL game.
    >
    > Check glxinfo. It should print "direct rendering: Yes" if hardware
    > acceleration is available.
    >
    > # glxinfo | grep rendering
    > direct rendering: Yes
    >
    > OpenGL speed test:
    > # glxgears

    Yup, it all *should* work.... I'll try glxgears though. DRI is enabled,
    but it only works at certain resolutions....

    I've just about come to the conclusion that the problem is the cursed i810
    video chipset on that machine. I've declared defeat on this one... Since
    the box is an all-in-one tiny format, I can't even put in a decent card...

+ Reply to Thread