Remap Copy (CTRL+INS) Paste (SHIFT+INS) to other keysyms - X

This is a discussion on Remap Copy (CTRL+INS) Paste (SHIFT+INS) to other keysyms - X ; Hi, i use a Sun-Type Usb Keyboard on a linux system. I'd like to remap Copy (CTRL+INS) Paste (SHIFT+INS) and Cut (SHIFT+DEL) to some spare keys (SunCopy SunPaste, SunCut). How do i tell a keysym to be 2 keystrokes, or ...

  1. Remap Copy (CTRL+INS) Paste (SHIFT+INS) to other keysyms

    Hi,
    i use a Sun-Type Usb Keyboard on a linux system.
    I'd like to remap Copy (CTRL+INS) Paste (SHIFT+INS) and Cut (SHIFT+DEL)
    to some spare keys (SunCopy SunPaste, SunCut).
    How do i tell a keysym to be 2 keystrokes, or how do i reconfigure
    Copy, Paste to another keysym.
    (I'm using Xfree and olvwm)
    Regards, Harald

  2. Re: Remap Copy (CTRL+INS) Paste (SHIFT+INS) to other keysyms

    On 18 Jan 2005 12:29:21 -0800, haneu@h3c.de staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > i use a Sun-Type Usb Keyboard on a linux system. I'd like to remap
    > Copy (CTRL+INS) Paste (SHIFT+INS) and Cut (SHIFT+DEL) to some spare
    > keys (SunCopy SunPaste, SunCut). How do i tell a keysym to be 2
    > keystrokes, or how do i reconfigure Copy, Paste to another keysym?

    If you need to map a single key to a key combination, or a key
    combination to a single key, you need xbindkeys combined with
    xmacroplay. Install both. Start xbindkeys and put something in your
    window manager's Autostart file so that xbindkeys starts when the window
    manager starts.

    Execute "xbindkeys -k" from an xterm/konsole and press the key or key
    combination you want. xbindkeys will spit out a couple of lines like
    so:

    "No Command"
    m:0x1 + c:74
    Shift + F8

    ....groovy. Now replace "No Command" with an xmacroplay string, like so:

    "echo -e 'KeyStrPress SunCopy\nKeyStrRelease SunCopy' | xmacroplay :0 &"
    m:0x1 + c:74

    ....paste those lines into ~/.xbindkeysrc , killall -HUP xbindkeys ,
    things should work. There's a GUI frontend to xbindkeys called
    gtk-xbindkeys, so you may want to try that. xbindkeys can execute any
    arbitrary command on any keypress and is a seriously powerful tool.
    HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!