My IBM Thinkpad R40 has both touchpad and trackpoint. I am using Linux
2.6.8 with CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y, and XFree86 4.3.0.1. I have, in the
past, managed to make things mostly work by using a gpm 1.20.1 from
Christmas 2002 and repeating mouse events from that, but right now I'm
having trouble with that and thought I'd try disabling gpm and getting
X to work with the ultranav stuff directly instead. (gpm annoys me
because I can never find a recent-enough version conveniently
packaged.) I saw that there's now a Synaptics TouchPad driver for
XOrg/XFree86, so I installed it. At boot-time I'm told by the kernel,

Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1
Firmware: 5.9
Sensor: 44
new absolute packet format
Touchpad has extended capability bits
-> multifinger detection
-> palm detection
-> pass-through port

input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio1
serio: Synaptics pass-through port at isa0060/serio1/input0

In my XF86Config-4 I have,

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Trackpoint"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse1"
Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
Option "Buttons" "3"
EndSection

and that works fine for the trackpoint with its three buttons.

Also, I have,

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Trackball"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse2"
Option "Protocol" "Auto"
Option "Buttons" "6"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

and that works fine for my USB Kensington Expert Mouse. (Although,
using the ThinkingMousePS/2 protocol doesn't work with it!)

However, I can't get my touchpad to work. I try things like,

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Touchpad"
Driver "mouse" # or, "synaptics"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
Option "Protocol" "PS/2" # or, "Auto-dev"
Option "Buttons" "2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "True"
... and other stuff ...
EndSection

and it mostly does nothing at all. The best attempt is that which is
not commented out - in that case, the touchpad works, but the two
buttons below it mostly don't work, and spurious mouse clicks are
detected, rendering the system more trouble than it's worth.

Of course, in the ServerLayout, I make one of the items CorePointer,
and the others SendCoreEvents.

Any thoughts or comments? Does anyone else have this working fine?
After all, I can't rule out even a hardware problem with the touchpad
buttons.

-- Mark