X Not Returning To Console On Exit - X

This is a discussion on X Not Returning To Console On Exit - X ; Hi. I've not long installed Slackware 10 on my old P200, and have managed to get xorg up and running. However, on exiting X from the menu on Windowmaker, I often just get a black screen, and have to get ...

  1. X Not Returning To Console On Exit

    Hi.
    I've not long installed Slackware 10 on my old P200, and have managed
    to get xorg up and running. However, on exiting X from the menu on
    Windowmaker, I often just get a black screen, and have to get back to
    the console by typing Alt-F1 myself. When I then look at the end of
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it says:

    Fatal server error:
    Caught signal 11. Server aborting

    Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.X.Org
    for help.
    Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for
    additional information.

    *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
    *** be the reason for the server aborting.

    FatalError re-entered, aborting
    Caught signal 8. Server aborting

    It seems that after the normal termination signal (11), there's some
    other signal (8) which prevents the server from returning me directly
    to the console. (This doesn't happen every time - sometimes it exits
    normally with signal 11.) I know it's not really critical, but it's
    becoming an irritation nevertheless. Has anyone experienced anything
    like this? I'm out of ideas.
    Thanks in anticipation,

    Paul.

    My graphics card is an ATI Mach 64 264CT, and my monitor an ADI
    Provista. Here's the stuff about my X server from the head of
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

    Release Date: 18 December 2003
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.7
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.26 i686 [ELF]
    Current Operating System: Linux Methuselah 2.4.26 #6 Mon Jun 14
    19:07:27 PDT 2004 i586
    Build Date: 05 June 2004

  2. Re: X Not Returning To Console On Exit

    Paul wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I've not long installed Slackware 10 on my old P200, and have managed
    > to get xorg up and running. However, on exiting X from the menu on
    > Windowmaker, I often just get a black screen, and have to get back to
    > the console by typing Alt-F1 myself. When I then look at the end of
    > /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it says:
    >
    > Fatal server error:
    > Caught signal 11. Server aborting
    >

    > Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    > at http://wiki.X.Org
    > for help.
    > Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for
    > additional information.
    >

    > *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
    > *** be the reason for the server aborting.
    >
    > FatalError re-entered, aborting
    > Caught signal 8. Server aborting
    >
    > It seems that after the normal termination signal (11), there's some

    Signal 11 is not normal tyermination, it's a memory access error, often
    due to hardware problems, or program errors.

    > other signal (8) which prevents the server from returning me directly
    > to the console. (This doesn't happen every time - sometimes it exits
    > normally with signal 11.) I know it's not really critical, but it's
    > becoming an irritation nevertheless. Has anyone experienced anything
    > like this? I'm out of ideas.
    > Thanks in anticipation,

    Signal 8 is floating point exception - again not normal.

  3. Re: X Not Returning To Console On Exit

    Thanks Ian, and sorry about the delay in responding - computer
    problems. Even in my previous distributions, X has always exited with
    signal 11 - something which I always found odd - but I came to accept
    it as "normal"! I imagine it should exit with signal 0, but I'm not
    sure exactly what I'd need to change for this to occur (probably my
    whole system).
    Cheers,

    Paul.

+ Reply to Thread