Moving an X window about on screen by a program - X

This is a discussion on Moving an X window about on screen by a program - X ; Hi, How do I do this? I looked at XMoveWindow(), haven't used it yet, will it do what I say above, ie. simulate a mouse drag, WHILE the window is updating stuff within itself, eg. it could be a game? ...

  1. Moving an X window about on screen by a program

    Hi,

    How do I do this?

    I looked at XMoveWindow(), haven't used it yet, will it do what I say
    above, ie. simulate a mouse drag, WHILE the window is updating stuff
    within itself, eg. it could be a game? I would like the whole thing to
    be flicker free, and capable of 3D as well!

    If so, is there a simple way to get to it from the shell, or anything
    else, except C ?

    Thanks,

    The Nomad.

  2. Re: Moving an X window about on screen by a program

    [ crossposting trimmed ]
    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
    On 16 Jan 2005 15:01:42 -0800, Binary Nomad staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > How do I [move an X window via a program or shellscript]? I looked at
    > XMoveWindow(), haven't used it yet, will it do what I say above, ie.
    > simulate a mouse drag, WHILE the window is updating stuff within
    > itself, eg. it could be a game? If so, is there a simple way to get
    > to it from the shell, or anything else, except C ?

    Could you read the man page for XMoveWindow and answer your own
    question, and stop using run-on sentences, which are hard to read, and
    they make the reader lose the point, that the writer was originally
    trying to make? XMoveWindow() is a C function that requires Xlib. You
    can't call it from a script. You also have to find the window ID of the
    window you want to move, which may require more work than you want to
    deal with.

    > I would like the whole thing to be flicker free, and capable of 3D as
    > well!

    What in the name of Cthulhu does 3D have to do with moving a window? If
    you've got the GLX extension running, and an OpenGL app running in a
    window that isn't fullscreen, you can move that window. Flicker-free
    operation depends on a lot of variables and the current system load, so
    forget about it for now. Get it working first. (The 3 steps are: 0.
    make it work 1. make it maintainable 2. make it fast. If you can ignore
    those rules no matter how often the developers tell you about them, you
    have a bright future in Project Management.)

    If you know the coordinates of the window you want to move, you can
    always use xmacroplay ( http://xmacro.sourceforge.net/ ). This text
    fragment does the same thing as "hold Alt, move mouse to (1000,900),
    click button 1, move mouse to (800,600), release button 1, release Alt."
    Like so:

    cat << EOF | xmacroplay :0
    KeyStrPress Alt_L
    MotionNotify 1000 900
    ButtonPress 1
    MotionNotify 800 600
    ButtonRelease 1
    KeyStrRelease Alt_L
    EOF

    ....this moves my terminal window 200 pixels left and 300 pixels up,
    since in my window manager, Alt+button 1 click/drag moves windows.
    Modify for your window manager, do simple arithmetic to move windows.
    HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: Moving an X window about on screen by a program

    binary-nomad@hotmail.com (Binary Nomad) writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > How do I do this?
    >
    > I looked at XMoveWindow(), haven't used it yet, will it do what I say
    > above, ie. simulate a mouse drag, WHILE the window is updating stuff
    > within itself, eg. it could be a game? I would like the whole thing to
    > be flicker free, and capable of 3D as well!
    >
    > If so, is there a simple way to get to it from the shell, or anything
    > else, except C ?

    Moving windows is the job of the window manager.

    Some window managers let you create shell scripts that
    tell the window manager what to do.

    I don't know about 3D, what exactly are you trying to do?

+ Reply to Thread