serial port and FC2 - X

This is a discussion on serial port and FC2 - X ; Hi there, I'm novice at this group and I'd like to say hello all of you. I've got problem.I plugged MIDI module "Sound Canvas 88VL" to serial port (RS 232, COM).What should be steps in turn that OS and jack ...

  1. serial port and FC2

    Hi there,
    I'm novice at this group and I'd like to say hello all of you.
    I've got problem.I plugged MIDI module "Sound Canvas 88VL" to serial port
    (RS 232, COM).What should be steps in turn that OS and jack could "see"
    this instrument.What kind of record should be in modprobe.conf file ?
    THX very much in advance for some tips, suggestions, advice.
    Bemol
    Poland

  2. Re: serial port and FC2

    Bemol wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > I'm novice at this group and I'd like to say hello all of you.
    > I've got problem.I plugged MIDI module "Sound Canvas 88VL" to serial port
    > (RS 232, COM).What should be steps in turn that OS and jack could "see"
    > this instrument.What kind of record should be in modprobe.conf file ?
    > THX very much in advance for some tips, suggestions, advice.

    I may be wrong.
    In general, things that attach to serial ports don't have drivers, it's
    expected that the application can drive them.
    Why would you want the 'OS' to see it?

  3. Re: serial port and FC2

    Ian Stirling wrote:

    > Bemol wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >> I'm novice at this group and I'd like to say hello all of you.
    >> I've got problem.I plugged MIDI module "Sound Canvas 88VL" to serial port
    >> (RS 232, COM).What should be steps in turn that OS and jack could "see"
    >> this instrument.What kind of record should be in modprobe.conf file ?
    >> THX very much in advance for some tips, suggestions, advice.

    > I may be wrong.
    > In general, things that attach to serial ports don't have drivers, it's
    > expected that the application can drive them.
    > Why would you want the 'OS' to see it?

    hm,I rather said wrong.
    when I write command "lsmod", there is lp, parport for parallel port in
    kernel.
    Why there's no anything for serial port?
    I would like "server jack" can see Roland Sound Canvas VL in its
    "connect",but it doesn't see one at all, but should.That's reason why I
    can't use this instrument.You see, I have MIDI ports on the Terratec Box
    and server jack see them in "connect window" as "Terratec 88MT", and I have
    to do something that it could see The Roland... in its "connect"
    window.How to do this, I have no idea.
    thx for your response

  4. Re: serial port and FC2

    Bemol wrote:
    > Ian Stirling wrote:
    >
    > > Bemol wrote:
    > >> Hi there,
    > >> I'm novice at this group and I'd like to say hello all of you.
    > >> I've got problem.I plugged MIDI module "Sound Canvas 88VL" to serial port
    > >> (RS 232, COM).What should be steps in turn that OS and jack could "see"
    > >> this instrument.What kind of record should be in modprobe.conf file ?
    > >> THX very much in advance for some tips, suggestions, advice.

    > > I may be wrong.
    > > In general, things that attach to serial ports don't have drivers, it's
    > > expected that the application can drive them.
    > > Why would you want the 'OS' to see it?

    > hm,I rather said wrong.
    > when I write command "lsmod", there is lp, parport for parallel port in
    > kernel.
    > Why there's no anything for serial port?
    > I would like "server jack" can see Roland Sound Canvas VL in its
    > "connect",but it doesn't see one at all, but should.That's reason why I
    > can't use this instrument.You see, I have MIDI ports on the Terratec Box
    > and server jack see them in "connect window" as "Terratec 88MT", and I have
    > to do something that it could see The Roland... in its "connect"
    > window.How to do this, I have no idea.
    > thx for your response

    Probably because serial support is built into your kernel. Mine is
    modular, I have to load both serial_core.ko & 8250.ko to use the
    serial port.

    Try reading the mapage for setserial, it can show you information
    about your serial ports.

    Jerry

  5. Re: serial port and FC2

    Jerry Peters wrote:

    > Bemol wrote:
    >> Ian Stirling wrote:

    >> > I may be wrong.
    >> > In general, things that attach to serial ports don't have drivers, it's
    >> > expected that the application can drive them.
    >> > Why would you want the 'OS' to see it?

    >> hm,I rather said wrong.
    >> when I write command "lsmod", there is lp, parport for parallel port in
    >> kernel.
    >> Why there's no anything for serial port?
    >> I would like "server jack" can see Roland Sound Canvas VL in its
    >> "connect",but it doesn't see one at all, but should.That's reason why I
    >> can't use this instrument.You see, I have MIDI ports on the Terratec Box
    >> and server jack see them in "connect window" as "Terratec 88MT", and I
    >> have
    >> to do something that it could see The Roland... in its "connect"
    >> window.How to do this, I have no idea.
    >> thx for your response

    > Probably because serial support is built into your kernel. Mine is
    > modular, I have to load both serial_core.ko & 8250.ko to use the
    > serial port.
    >
    > Try reading the mapage for setserial, it can show you information
    > about your serial ports.
    >
    > Jerry

    I have kernel-2.6.10-1.9_FC2.
    After typing "lsmod" there is no modele of serial port in kernel.
    After typing "dmesg" I get something like this
    "Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 76 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
    ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A"
    But after typing "setserial /dev/ttyS0 " I get this "/dev/ttyS0, UART:
    16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4".
    So I suppose I should load serial port module to kernel but which one is
    module for serial port, I completely don't know.
    Regards

  6. Re: serial port and FC2

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:45:17 +0100, Bemol wrote:

    > I have kernel-2.6.10-1.9_FC2.
    > After typing "lsmod" there is no modele of serial port in kernel.
    > After typing "dmesg" I get something like this
    > "Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 76 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
    > ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    > ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A"
    > But after typing "setserial /dev/ttyS0 " I get this "/dev/ttyS0, UART:
    > 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4".
    > So I suppose I should load serial port module to kernel but which one is
    > module for serial port, I completely don't know.

    No, that is the standard driver message. Your serial ports should be
    functional.

    Please note that setserial(8) is a program for supporting more than 4 (or
    is it 8?) legacy (i.e., non-USB) serial ports on the PC i386 architecture.
    If you only have 1 or 2 serial ports, you should not need setserial(8).

    Peter

  7. Re: serial port and FC2

    Bemol wrote:
    > Jerry Peters wrote:
    >
    > > Bemol wrote:

    > >> hm,I rather said wrong.
    > >> when I write command "lsmod", there is lp, parport for parallel port in
    > >> kernel.
    > >> Why there's no anything for serial port?
    > >> I would like "server jack" can see Roland Sound Canvas VL in its
    > >> "connect",but it doesn't see one at all, but should.That's reason why I
    > >> can't use this instrument.You see, I have MIDI ports on the Terratec Box
    > >> and server jack see them in "connect window" as "Terratec 88MT", and I
    > >> have
    > >> to do something that it could see The Roland... in its "connect"
    > >> window.How to do this, I have no idea.
    > >> thx for your response

    > > Probably because serial support is built into your kernel. Mine is
    > > modular, I have to load both serial_core.ko & 8250.ko to use the
    > > serial port.
    > >
    > > Try reading the mapage for setserial, it can show you information
    > > about your serial ports.
    > >
    > > Jerry

    > I have kernel-2.6.10-1.9_FC2.
    > After typing "lsmod" there is no modele of serial port in kernel.
    > After typing "dmesg" I get something like this
    > "Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 76 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
    > ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    > ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A"
    > But after typing "setserial /dev/ttyS0 " I get this "/dev/ttyS0, UART:
    > 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4".
    > So I suppose I should load serial port module to kernel but which one is
    > module for serial port, I completely don't know.
    > Regards

    You seem completely confused! lsmod only lists loaded modules, you have
    standard serial support _built in_ to the kernel, thus there's nothing
    for lsmod to list.
    What exactly are you trying to do? You have a serial port at
    /dev/ttyS0.

    Jerry

+ Reply to Thread