Bootstrapping XFree86 - X

This is a discussion on Bootstrapping XFree86 - X ; OK, I really, really don't appreciate having to do extensive hackery and reading of TFM without the benefit of a working X11 environment. Now I have a mini-itx box, and find no out-of-the-box X11 builds will do a decent job ...

  1. Bootstrapping XFree86

    OK, I really, really don't appreciate having to do extensive hackery
    and reading of TFM without the benefit of a working X11 environment.

    Now I have a mini-itx box, and find no out-of-the-box X11 builds will
    do a decent job with it. After some poking around and howtos that
    didn't work, I'm trying to follow
    http://sourceforge.net/docman/displa...roup_id=102048

    "# Make sure you have a build tree of XFree 4.4 or later, which has
    been built once so all object files etc. are there. The top build
    directory will hereafter be called "", and it is containing
    the subdirectory xc."

    Good. So I download and unpack the xfree86 source. The /xc/ directory
    contains an Imakefile and **** all else. So does the config directory.
    They need imake to bootstrap.

    And where is imake? It's in /usr/X11R6/bin/ ! Except it isn't,
    because I don't have X11 installed yet.

    So, how am I supposed to bootstrap bloody xfree86?

    --
    Nick Kew

  2. Re: Bootstrapping XFree86

    Nick Kew wrote:

    > OK, I really, really don't appreciate having to do extensive hackery
    > and reading of TFM without the benefit of a working X11 environment.
    >
    > Now I have a mini-itx box, and find no out-of-the-box X11 builds will
    > do a decent job with it. After some poking around and howtos that
    > didn't work, I'm trying to follow
    > http://sourceforge.net/docman/displa...roup_id=102048
    >
    > "# Make sure you have a build tree of XFree 4.4 or later, which has
    > been built once so all object files etc. are there. The top build
    > directory will hereafter be called "", and it is containing
    > the subdirectory xc."
    >
    > Good. So I download and unpack the xfree86 source. The /xc/ directory
    > contains an Imakefile and **** all else. So does the config directory.
    > They need imake to bootstrap.
    >
    > And where is imake? It's in /usr/X11R6/bin/ ! Except it isn't,
    > because I don't have X11 installed yet.
    >
    > So, how am I supposed to bootstrap bloody xfree86?

    make World

    But be sure and read as much of the docs in the top level xc directory as you
    can handle.

  3. Re: Bootstrapping XFree86

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Allen yowled:
    > Nick Kew wrote:
    >> And where is imake? It's in /usr/X11R6/bin/ ! Except it isn't,
    >> because I don't have X11 installed yet.
    >>
    >> So, how am I supposed to bootstrap bloody xfree86?

    > make World

    To be more specific, copy config/cf/xf86site.def to config/cf/site.def,
    hack it to taste, and *then* make World followed by a sudo make install.

    --
    `Blish is clearly in love with language. Unfortunately,
    language dislikes him intensely.' --- Russ Allbery

  4. Re: Bootstrapping XFree86

    In article <34ikunF4abu6aU1@individual.net>,
    Allen writes:

    >> So, how am I supposed to bootstrap bloody xfree86?
    >>

    > make World

    That presupposes the existence of a Makefile. There isn't one in the
    downloads from ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.4.0/source/
    Neither does www.xfree86.org suggest any other download for the sources.

    --
    Nick Kew

  5. Re: Bootstrapping XFree86

    Nick Kew wrote:
    > OK, I really, really don't appreciate having to do extensive hackery
    > and reading of TFM without the benefit of a working X11 environment.
    >
    > Now I have a mini-itx box, and find no out-of-the-box X11 builds will
    > do a decent job with it.

    That ain't true. My Debian sid does fine; so would sarge. I suspect any
    up to date X11 package would do as well; you need the via driver and
    there you are.

    Robert

  6. Re: Bootstrapping XFree86

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:01:55 +0000, Nick Kew wrote:
    >In article <34ikunF4abu6aU1@individual.net>,
    > Allen writes:
    >
    >>> So, how am I supposed to bootstrap bloody xfree86?
    >>>

    >> make World

    >That presupposes the existence of a Makefile. There isn't one in the
    >downloads from ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.4.0/source/
    >Neither does www.xfree86.org suggest any other download for the sources.

    The makefile is in the first source tarball XFree86-4.4.0-src-1.tgz.

  7. Re: Bootstrapping XFree86

    In article ,
    Robert Harris writes:
    > Nick Kew wrote:
    >> OK, I really, really don't appreciate having to do extensive hackery
    >> and reading of TFM without the benefit of a working X11 environment.
    >>
    >> Now I have a mini-itx box, and find no out-of-the-box X11 builds will
    >> do a decent job with it.

    > That ain't true. My Debian sid does fine; so would sarge. I suspect any
    > up to date X11 package would do as well; you need the via driver and
    > there you are.

    I tried, in addition to the (slightly dated) slackware CD that's installed
    on the laptop, Gentoo-2004-3, FreeBSD 5.3 and NetBSD 2.0[1]
    (all latest versions). The via driver claimed to give good results
    (1280x1024 or 1600x1200 at 85Hz reported in the log) but in both cases
    it was a terrible display, and the monitor reported it as 59Hz vertical
    refresh. The vesa driver gave a much better display at 60Hz,
    demonstrating that the via was far worse than just that 1Hz difference.

    Anyway, finally got a decent display with a Gentoo ebuild from
    http://epia.kalf.org/portage/x11-base/xfree-unichrome/ .
    So now I have an environment I can work in without having to keep
    the laptop precariously poised alongside it to be able to RTFM/etc[3].

    [1] I'm OS-agnostic about this; they're interchangable[2] for my purposes.
    [2] ... within limits:-)
    [3] and wonder how the **** I managed in the 1980s[4]!
    [4] Well, I guess I was younger then, and not spoilt on nice GUIs.

    --
    Nick Kew

+ Reply to Thread