"there already appears to be an xserver running on display :0" - X

This is a discussion on "there already appears to be an xserver running on display :0" - X ; Hi, I cant login into x (using init level 5). I get this msg when rebooting the machine. the only way I found to login into X is to execute : -> killall X -> kdm gdm is my default ...

  1. "there already appears to be an xserver running on display :0"

    Hi,
    I cant login into x (using init level 5). I get this msg when
    rebooting the machine. the only way I found to login into X is to
    execute :

    -> killall X
    -> kdm

    gdm is my default desktop manager.
    the problems had started after upgrading into gtk2+ including the
    following librarys:

    gtk 2.4.13
    glib 2.4.7
    pango 1.4.0
    xft 2.1.2
    atk 1.6.1

    10x in advance
    Yonatan

  2. Re: "there already appears to be an xserver running on display :0"

    yonatanm@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I cant login into x (using init level 5). I get this msg when
    > rebooting the machine. the only way I found to login into X is to
    > execute :
    >
    > -> killall X
    > -> kdm
    >
    > gdm is my default desktop manager.
    > the problems had started after upgrading into gtk2+ including the
    > following librarys:

    In some setups people have problems with gdm, so change your default login
    manager can fix this problem. How this is done, depends on your linux distro.

    What happen is most likely that gdm has hanged and X is waiting for it.

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread