Problem with Dual Head on Intel 845G chipset and Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000 - X

This is a discussion on Problem with Dual Head on Intel 845G chipset and Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000 - X ; I'm trying to get X working with 2 video cards - the builtin graphics, using the i810 driver, and a pci Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000 using the Nvidia 6629 driver. I'm using kernel 2.6.9. When I boot the machine, the ...

  1. Problem with Dual Head on Intel 845G chipset and Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000

    I'm trying to get X working with 2 video cards - the builtin graphics,
    using the i810 driver, and a pci Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000 using the
    Nvidia 6629 driver. I'm using kernel 2.6.9. When I boot the machine, the
    BIOS has an option to select whether the primary graphics should be AGP or
    PCI. When I set it to AGP, I can start X on the Intel graphics, but when I
    try the Nvidia, the X server crashes. When I set the primary graphics
    device to PCI, X will start on the Nvidia card, but I get these errors
    when I try to start it on the Intel:

    (EE) I810(0): Cannot read V_BIOS
    (EE) I810(0): VBE initialization failed.

    I've tried running both X servers separately, and together - same
    results. I've also tried the NoInt10 option for the i810 driver, but it
    still won't start. I think X is always querying the BIOS for
    information about the video card, and the BIOS returns info for whatever
    card is set as the primary, regardless of which one X is set to use.
    Here are the config files I'm using:

    X only on i810:
    http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/xorg.conf.intel
    X only on nvidia:
    http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/xor...nvidia.monitor
    X on both:
    http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/xorg.conf.multihead

    Here are the logs from when I try to start the X server:
    X on i810, bios set to AGP, works:
    http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xorg.0.log.i810oni810b
    X on i810, bios set to PCI, X won't start:
    http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xorg.0.log.i810onnvb
    X on nvidia, bios set to AGP, X crashes:
    http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xorg.0.log.nvoni810b
    X on nvidia, bios set to PCI, works:
    http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xorg.0.log.nvonnvb

    I also tried the vesa driver, but it says that it can't find a device
    matching the device id I put in the config file.

    Is there a fix for this? Perhaps an way to tell X to probe the card
    directly, rather than going through the bios? I'd even be willing to
    hardcode the probed values if somebody pointed me in the right
    direction.

    Tony

  2. Re: Problem with Dual Head on Intel 845G chipset and Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000

    Tony Howard wrote:

    > I'm trying to get X working with 2 video cards - the builtin graphics,
    > using the i810 driver, and a pci Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000 using the
    > Nvidia 6629 driver. I'm using kernel 2.6.9. When I boot the machine, the
    > BIOS has an option to select whether the primary graphics should be AGP or
    > PCI. When I set it to AGP, I can start X on the Intel graphics, but when I
    > try the Nvidia, the X server crashes. When I set the primary graphics
    > device to PCI, X will start on the Nvidia card, but I get these errors
    > when I try to start it on the Intel:
    >
    > (EE) I810(0): Cannot read V_BIOS
    > (EE) I810(0): VBE initialization failed.

    I think you should try X.org's native nv driver, rather than mix with Nvidia's
    commercial version which contains their own incompatible agp driver and GLX
    libraries..

    > I've tried running both X servers separately, and together - same
    > results. I've also tried the NoInt10 option for the i810 driver, but it
    > still won't start. I think X is always querying the BIOS for
    > information about the video card, and the BIOS returns info for whatever
    > card is set as the primary, regardless of which one X is set to use.
    > Here are the config files I'm using:
    >
    > X only on i810:
    > http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/xorg.conf.intel
    > X only on nvidia:
    > http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/xor...nvidia.monitor
    > X on both:
    > http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/xorg.conf.multihead
    >

    > Here are the logs from when I try to start the X server:
    > X on i810, bios set to AGP, works:
    > http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xorg.0.log.i810oni810b
    > X on i810, bios set to PCI, X won't start:
    > http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xorg.0.log.i810onnvb
    > X on nvidia, bios set to AGP, X crashes:
    > http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xorg.0.log.nvoni810b
    > X on nvidia, bios set to PCI, works:
    > http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xorg.0.log.nvonnvb
    >
    > I also tried the vesa driver, but it says that it can't find a device
    > matching the device id I put in the config file.
    >

    > Is there a fix for this? Perhaps an way to tell X to probe the card
    > directly, rather than going through the bios? I'd even be willing to
    > hardcode the probed values if somebody pointed me in the right
    > direction.
    >

    > Tony

  3. Re: Problem with Dual Head on Intel 845G chipset and NvidiaGeForce4 MX 4000

    Tony Howard wrote:
    >I'm trying to get X working with 2 video cards - the builtin graphics,
    >using the i810 driver, and a pci Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000 using the
    >Nvidia 6629 driver. I'm using kernel 2.6.9. When I boot the machine, the
    >BIOS has an option to select whether the primary graphics should be AGP or
    >PCI. When I set it to AGP, I can start X on the Intel graphics, but when I
    >try the Nvidia, the X server crashes. When I set the primary graphics
    >device to PCI, X will start on the Nvidia card, but I get these errors
    >when I try to start it on the Intel:
    >
    >(EE) I810(0): Cannot read V_BIOS
    >(EE) I810(0): VBE initialization failed.

    I ran into exactly the same problem on an older Dell motherboard
    with a built in ATI video. I spend a *lot* of time trying to
    get it to init both the onboard video and an external
    one... with zero luck.

    The eventual solution was to install a second video card.

    (It only needed to do 1024x768 on a pair of 15" LCD screens for
    a Point Of Sale system; hence the box now has a couple of "junk
    box" video cards that respectively have 4M and 8M of video RAM.
    The cost wasn't much in cash... just a lot of frustration in
    the process.)

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@barrow.com

  4. Re: Problem with Dual Head on Intel 845G chipset and Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000

    On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 02:50:58 +0000, Maximust wrote:

    > I think you should try X.org's native nv driver, rather than mix with Nvidia's
    > commercial version which contains their own incompatible agp driver and GLX
    > libraries..

    No luck with the nv driver, either.

    Using this config:
    http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/xorg.conf.nvidia.free

    I got this with agp set in the bios:
    http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xor....nvfreeoni810b

    while it worked normally with pci set:
    http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xorg.0.log.nvfreeonnvb

    Basically, it says no device is found matching the PCI id I specifed. Is
    this considered a limitation of xorg/XFree86? Is there another way for X
    to probe the cards besides using the BIOS?

    Tony

  5. Re: Problem with Dual Head on Intel 845G chipset and Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000

    Tony Howard wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 02:50:58 +0000, Maximust wrote:
    >

    >> I think you should try X.org's native nv driver, rather than mix with
    >> Nvidia's commercial version which contains their own incompatible agp driver
    >> and GLX libraries..

    > No luck with the nv driver, either.
    >
    > Using this config:
    > http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/xorg.conf.nvidia.free
    >
    > I got this with agp set in the bios:
    > http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xor....nvfreeoni810b
    >
    > while it worked normally with pci set:
    > http://home.nc.rr.com/webstorage/Xorg.0.log.nvfreeonnvb
    >
    > Basically, it says no device is found matching the PCI id I specifed. Is
    > this considered a limitation of xorg/XFree86? Is there another way for X
    > to probe the cards besides using the BIOS?
    >

    > Tony

    My only other guess is a similar situation I had on a Macintosh with an ATI Rage
    128. Even though X found it (like your does):
    (--) PCI: (1:2:0) nVidia Corporation unknown chipset (0x0185) rev 193, Mem @
    0x20000000/27

    It wouldn't work with the chip until I used the:
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"

    in the Device section.

+ Reply to Thread