Some help with remote login - X

This is a discussion on Some help with remote login - X ; Just a simple question. My home computer: Mandrake Linux 9.2, local X-login via KDM, permanently connected to internet. I want to be able to login to X and work on my home computer from anywhere (from any Linux, unix or ...

  1. Some help with remote login

    Just a simple question.

    My home computer: Mandrake Linux 9.2, local X-login via KDM,
    permanently connected to internet.
    I want to be able to login to X and work on my home computer from
    anywhere (from any Linux, unix or Windowsmachine), by knowing the home
    IP-adress.

    I'm a bit confused in this area, but I'll be able to setup everything,
    I just need to know which programs / files I've got to involve

    a) on the server
    b) on the client (WIndows - Remote Desktop Connection?, Linux -
    rdesktop?, other or better possibilities)?

    Some hints about security?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Some help with remote login

    Johan Schmidt wrote:

    > a) on the server
    > b) on the client (WIndows - Remote Desktop Connection?, Linux -
    > rdesktop?, other or better possibilities)?

    Try with TightVNC, you will have clients for *nix and ms-win.
    It's a lot easier to setup.

  3. Re: Some help with remote login

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:31:09 -0800, Johan Schmidt wrote:

    > Just a simple question.

    Followed by a simple answer ;-)

    > My home computer: Mandrake Linux 9.2, local X-login via KDM,
    > permanently connected to internet.
    > I want to be able to login to X and work on my home computer from
    > anywhere (from any Linux, unix or Windowsmachine), by knowing the home
    > IP-adress.
    >
    > I'm a bit confused in this area, but I'll be able to setup everything,
    > I just need to know which programs / files I've got to involve
    >
    > a) on the server

    sshd with X forwarding enabled

    > b) on the client (WIndows - Remote Desktop Connection?, Linux -
    > rdesktop?, other or better possibilities)?

    Windows: X-Cygwin and ssh, alternatives exist but aren't relevant IMHO.
    Linux: ssh -X user@remotemachine

    > Some hints about security?

    This is rather secure (Hint: ssh - Secure Shell).

    More info here: http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/XoverSSH/X-over-SSH2.html

    HTH
    Andreas

  4. Re: Some help with remote login

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:23:31 +0100, J.O. Aho staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > Johan Schmidt wrote:
    >> [I want to leave X running on my desktop and connect to it remotely]
    >> a) on the server
    >> b) on the client (WIndows - Remote Desktop Connection?, Linux -
    >> rdesktop?, other or better possibilities)?

    Forget Windows RDC. The only RDC server for Linux that I know of is a
    proof-of-concept VNC->RDC thing, and its performance is terrible.

    > Try with TightVNC, you will have clients for *nix and ms-win.
    > It's a lot easier to setup.

    VNC is easier to set up than remote X, but X is faster than VNC IME.
    All you need to do for VNC is to log in to your desktop, then start KDE
    Desktop Sharing, set a password, and allow uninvited connections. Then
    you can do "vncviewer mymachine.invalid.org" from any machine and it'll
    work. You can also use vncserver, but that defaults to twm and a lot of
    people hate twm. VNC is also fairly insecure by default, but you can
    tunnel it over ssh.

    J.O. Aho, you do know that the Cygwin people have put together a Free X
    server for Windows, right? Johan can use that if he gets his desktop
    machine set up right. Unfortunately, I can't tell you the step-by-step
    procedure for doing that since the last time I did this was ~2.5 years
    ago. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  5. Re: Some help with remote login

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:19:22 +0000, Dances With Crows wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:23:31 +0100, J.O. Aho staggered into the Black
    > Sun and said:
    >> Johan Schmidt wrote:
    >>> [I want to leave X running on my desktop and connect to it remotely]
    >>> a) on the server
    >>> b) on the client (WIndows - Remote Desktop Connection?, Linux -
    >>> rdesktop?, other or better possibilities)?

    > Forget Windows RDC. The only RDC server for Linux that I know of is a
    > proof-of-concept VNC->RDC thing, and its performance is terrible.
    >
    >> Try with TightVNC, you will have clients for *nix and ms-win.
    >> It's a lot easier to setup.

    > VNC is easier to set up than remote X, but X is faster than VNC IME.
    > All you need to do for VNC is to log in to your desktop, then start KDE
    > Desktop Sharing, set a password, and allow uninvited connections. Then
    > you can do "vncviewer mymachine.invalid.org" from any machine and it'll
    > work. You can also use vncserver, but that defaults to twm and a lot of
    > people hate twm. VNC is also fairly insecure by default, but you can
    > tunnel it over ssh.
    >
    > J.O. Aho, you do know that the Cygwin people have put together a Free X
    > server for Windows, right? Johan can use that if he gets his desktop
    > machine set up right. Unfortunately, I can't tell you the step-by-step
    > procedure for doing that since the last time I did this was ~2.5 years
    > ago. HTH,

    Simple:
    1. Surf to www.cygwin.com
    2. Download setup.exe
    3. Execute setup.exe
    4. Configure cygwin correctly, ie. install packages for ssh and X
    5. Start cygwin
    6. In the terminal: 'startx'
    7. 'ssh -X user@remotemachine'
    8. 'startkde' or whatever

    HTH
    Andreas

  6. Re: Some help with remote login

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:54:21 +0100, Andreas Tretow staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:

    >> J.O. Aho, you do know that the Cygwin people have put together a Free
    >> X server for Windows, right? Johan can use that if he gets his
    >> desktop machine set up right. Unfortunately, I can't tell you the
    >> step-by-step procedure for doing that since the last time I did this
    >> was ~2.5 years ago. HTH,

    > Simple:
    > 1. Surf to www.cygwin.com
    > 2. Download setup.exe
    > 3. Execute setup.exe
    > 4. Configure cygwin correctly, ie. install packages for ssh and X

    I see I should've been more specific about "gets his desktop
    machine set up right". By that, I meant, "Configured the Linux machine
    running X so that it would accept remote logins." This involved
    fiddling with the files under /etc/X11/xdm/ . At the very least, you
    had to comment out the "DisplayManager.requestPort 0" line. There was
    at least one other thing you had to do, but I can't remember what it
    was, and I don't currently have time to fiddle with X and rediscover it.

    The Cygwin setup is fairly easy as Andreas mentioned.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  7. Re: Some help with remote login

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:41:47 +0000, Dances With Crows wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:54:21 +0100, Andreas Tretow staggered into the
    > Black Sun and said:
    >>> J.O. Aho, you do know that the Cygwin people have put together a Free
    >>> X server for Windows, right? Johan can use that if he gets his
    >>> desktop machine set up right. Unfortunately, I can't tell you the
    >>> step-by-step procedure for doing that since the last time I did this
    >>> was ~2.5 years ago. HTH,

    >> Simple:
    >> 1. Surf to www.cygwin.com
    >> 2. Download setup.exe
    >> 3. Execute setup.exe
    >> 4. Configure cygwin correctly, ie. install packages for ssh and X

    > I see I should've been more specific about "gets his desktop
    > machine set up right". By that, I meant, "Configured the Linux machine
    > running X so that it would accept remote logins." This involved
    > fiddling with the files under /etc/X11/xdm/ . At the very least, you
    > had to comment out the "DisplayManager.requestPort 0" line. There was
    > at least one other thing you had to do, but I can't remember what it
    > was, and I don't currently have time to fiddle with X and rediscover it.

    I think this is only necessary if you want to run the display manager
    remotely. Otherwise you can follow this:
    http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/XoverSSH/X-over-SSH2.html

    Andreas

  8. Re: Some help with remote login

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > you do know that the Cygwin people have put together a Free X server
    > for Windows, right? Johan can use that if he gets his desktop machine
    > set up right. Unfortunately, I can't tell you the step-by-step procedure
    > for doing that since the last time I did this was ~2.5 years ago. HTH,

    It's quite a lot job to setup cygwin+x windows system and it's not even sure
    the original poster has to priviliged to use the same ms-win based machine all
    the time. A lot easier to install VNC of a type and won't occupie a lot of
    harddrive space for a few minutes fun.

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread