Could someone please tell me what this error means? - X

This is a discussion on Could someone please tell me what this error means? - X ; I'm getting this when trying to run tuxracer on a particular machine.... X then spontaneously restarts..... X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) Major opcode of failed request: 134 (XFree86-VidModeExtension) Minor opcode of failed ...

  1. Could someone please tell me what this error means?

    I'm getting this when trying to run tuxracer on a particular machine....

    X then spontaneously restarts.....

    X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
    operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 134 (XFree86-VidModeExtension) Minor
    opcode of failed request: 10 (XF86VidModeSwitchToMode) Value in failed
    request: 0x48
    Serial number of failed request: 104 Current serial number in output
    stream: 106

    Thanks,

    --Yan

  2. Re: Could someone please tell me what this error means?

  3. Re: Could someone please tell me what this error means?

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 09:21:18 -0500, Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > the error occurs when the app (tuxracer) invokes a "VidModeExtension" operation
    > to switch video modes (VodModeSwitchToMode) to whatever mode 0x48 switches to.
    >
    > Switching video modes usually results in a screen-size switch (i.e. 800x600 to
    > 1024x768), so perhaps tuxracer is trying to switch your display to a size that
    > your X server doesn't support.

    I kind of suspected that....

    So.... Any way to find out what mode 0x48 is? I have a machine that runs
    tuxracer just fine. Any way to go in while it's running and see what
    resolution/refresh/etc it is set to?

    I suspect that it has to do with the chipset and the monitor; it's an
    on-board i810 (shared memory video) and a 19" LCD monitor. One of those
    two is probably limiting the modes...

  4. Re: Could someone please tell me what this error means?

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:46:50 -0800, Captain Dondo staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 09:21:18 -0500, Lew Pitcher wrote:
    >> the error occurs when the app (tuxracer) invokes a "VidModeExtension"
    >> operation to switch video modes (VodModeSwitchToMode) to whatever
    >> mode 0x48 switches to.
    >>
    >> Switching video modes usually results in a screen-size switch (i.e.
    >> 800x600 to 1024x768), so perhaps tuxracer is trying to switch your
    >> display to a size that your X server doesn't support.

    > So.... Any way to find out what mode 0x48 is? I have a machine that
    > runs tuxracer just fine. Any way to go in while it's running and see
    > what resolution/refresh/etc it is set to?

    IIRC, tuxracer starts off in 640x480 or 800x600 by default.

    > I suspect that it has to do with the chipset and the monitor; it's an
    > on-board i810 (shared memory video) and a 19" LCD monitor. One of
    > those two is probably limiting the modes...

    The Hsync and Vsync ranges for the LCD are probably set too narrow.
    With LCDs, you need to have them set higher than "normal" if you want to
    use video modes other than the LCD's native resolution. Post your X
    config file and the /var/log/X*.log files somewhere on your webspace and
    follow up with a URL, or if you don't *have* webspace, send the files to
    my gmail.com address (mind the SPAN TRAP) and I'll put them on mine so
    that everyone can look at them. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!