Problem: Horizontal gray stripes behind text - X

This is a discussion on Problem: Horizontal gray stripes behind text - X ; Hello: I am using RedHat 9.0. FVVM is my window manager. The system has been working fine so far. Suddenly grey stripes started appearing behind text irrespective of what program i am using (pine, mozilla,vim,..). I checked logs, but could ...

  1. Problem: Horizontal gray stripes behind text

    Hello:

    I am using RedHat 9.0. FVVM is my window manager.
    The system has been working fine so far. Suddenly grey stripes started
    appearing behind text irrespective of what program i am using (pine,
    mozilla,vim,..). I checked logs, but could not find any relevant
    warnings. I haven't changed any of my system settings for a long time.

    Could someone help me to find out what the problem is and how it can be
    solved. Here is a copy of my XF86Config: (I could not find the program
    pyxf86config though). Monitor shows that the HSync is 54 KHz and VSync
    is 85.44 Hz.

    Appreciate any pointers.

    Regards,
    Srinivas.

    # XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

    Section "Files"

    # RgbPath is the location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name of the
    # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
    # no need to change the default.
    # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
    # By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
    # the X server to render fonts.
    RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath "unix/:7100"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "fbdevhw"
    Load "glx"
    Load "record"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "type1"
    Load "dri"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"

    # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
    # Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"
    # To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
    # Option "XkbDisable"
    # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
    # lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
    # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
    # Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
    # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
    # Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
    #
    # Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
    # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
    # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    # or:
    # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    # Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
    #
    # If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
    # control keys, use:
    # Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
    # Or if you just want both to be control, use:
    # Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
    #
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "keyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"

    # If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
    # this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
    # also use USB mice at the same time.
    Identifier "DevInputMice"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "HP D5259A Pavilion M70 Monitor"
    DisplaySize 320 240
    HorizSync 30.0 - 70.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0
    Option "dpms"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "nv"
    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName "RIVA TNT2"
    VideoRam 16384
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Group 0
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

  2. Re: Problem: Horizontal gray stripes behind text (Additional Info)

    Sorry for the double posting: Additional information which i should have
    mentioned.

    1) This happens even on the X login screen.
    2) The stripes move as the text moves.
    3) Height of each stripe is same as the text height.

    Thanks.
    Srinivas.

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Srinivas Vanjari wrote:

    #Hello:
    #
[...]
    ##
[...]

    ------------------------
    Venkata Srinivas Vanjari
    Graduate Student (ECE)
    Purdue University
    765-543-1028 (Cell)
    765-494-9856 (O)
    ------------------------

  3. Re: Problem: Horizontal gray stripes behind text (Additional Info)

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:59:57 -0500, Srinivas Vanjari staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    >I am using RedHat 9.0.

    Redhat 9's been EOLed. Time to upgrade/whatever.

    >FVVM is my window manager. Suddenly grey stripes started appearing
    >behind text irrespective of what program i am using (pine,
    >mozilla,vim,..). I checked logs, but could not find any relevant
    >warnings. I haven't changed any of my system settings for a long time.

    > This happens even on the X login screen. The stripes move as the text
    > moves. Height of each stripe is same as the text height.

    >Section "Module"
    > Load "fbdevhw"
    > Load "glx"

    Er. fbdevhw isn't really useful, and glx won't work unless you're using
    the evil binary-only nVidia X server and kernel module.

    >Section "Monitor"
    > HorizSync 30.0 - 70.0
    > VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0

    Are these correct for your monitor? Look in its manual and make sure.

    >Section "Device"
    > Driver "nv"

    You may want to try the evil binary-only nVidia kernel module and X
    server. If you use that, you'll get XV (useful for playing movies!) and
    hardware-accelerated 3D. It might also clear up your strange text
    problem as a side effect. The binary-only stuff will work fine with a
    TNT2 video card.

    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 24
    > Modes "800x600" "640x480"

    ? 800x600? Must be a really tiny monitor....

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  4. Re: Problem: Horizontal gray stripes behind text (Additional Info)

    The issue I do not understand is why the change occured. Everything
    was fine till yesterday and the only software I tried to install was a vpn
    client. The Xwindows system has been very stable so far...i have been
    using this for over an year. (I am using RH9 since I only have a teeny
    64MB RAM and ofcourse, a tiny 15" monitor . The XF86Config file was
    created during installation an year ago and I haven't attempted to
    change it.

    I am not sure where else I should look for logged messages (other than /var/log).

    I can get a display of the monitor sync rates by using controls on the
    monitor and the value seemed to be fine.

    Is there a way to check if the current nvidia driver is causing the
    problem ?

    Thanks,
    Srinivas.

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Dances With Crows wrote:

    #On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:59:57 -0500, Srinivas Vanjari staggered into the
    #Black Sun and said:
    #>I am using RedHat 9.0.
    #
[...]

  5. Re: Problem: Horizontal gray stripes behind text

    Srinivas Vanjari wrote:

    > Hello:
    >
    > I am using RedHat 9.0. FVVM is my window manager.
    > The system has been working fine so far. Suddenly grey stripes started
    > appearing behind text irrespective of what program i am using (pine,
    > mozilla,vim,..). I checked logs, but could not find any relevant
    > warnings. I haven't changed any of my system settings for a long time.
    >
    > Could someone help me to find out what the problem is and how it can be
    > solved. Here is a copy of my XF86Config: (I could not find the program
    > pyxf86config though). Monitor shows that the HSync is 54 KHz and VSync
    > is 85.44 Hz.
    >
    > Appreciate any pointers.

    If you can try another monitor do it.
    Check that the video lead is firmly plugged at each end, wiggle it a bit -
    see if the display flashes.
    Maybe it's the monitor or cable earthing.

    --
    faeychild

  6. Re: Problem: Horizontal gray stripes behind text

    This probably won't help you, but:

    I saw this happen once when I placed a system on a KVM
    switch. Something in the way the KVM switch handled video,
    caused all the text to have a grey smear to the right.

    The monitor didn't change, the graphics adapter didn't
    change, nor did the XF86Config. So it had to be the KVM
    switch. Well, I suppose it could be the video cable.

    --Carl Benson

    Srinivas Vanjari wrote:
> [...]
    > Identifier "Mouse0"
    > Driver "mouse"
    > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "InputDevice"
    >
    > # If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
    > # this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
    > # also use USB mice at the same time.
    > Identifier "DevInputMice"
    > Driver "mouse"
    > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Monitor"
    > Identifier "Monitor0"
    > VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    > ModelName "HP D5259A Pavilion M70 Monitor"

  7. Re: Problem: Horizontal gray stripes behind text (Additional Info)

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:11:48 -0500, Srinivas Vanjari staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:

    Please don't top-post, and please fix Pine so that it prepends ">"
    instead of "#" to quoted text. Message rearranged for easier reading
    comprehension.

    > On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Dances With Crows wrote:
    >>On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:59:57 -0500, Srinivas Vanjari staggered into the
    >>Black Sun and said:
    >>>FVVM is my window manager. Suddenly grey stripes started appearing
    >>>behind text irrespective of what program i am using (pine,
    >>>mozilla,vim,..). This happens even on the X login screen. The
    >>>stripes move as the text moves. Height of each stripe is same as the
    >>>text height.

    >>>Section "Monitor"
    >>> HorizSync 30.0 - 70.0
    >>> VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0

    >>Are these correct for your monitor? Look in its manual and make sure.

    >>>Section "Device"
    >>> Driver "nv"

    >>You may want to try the evil binary-only nVidia kernel module and X
    >>server.

    > The issue I do not understand is why the change occured. Everything
    > was fine till yesterday and the only software I tried to install was a
    > vpn client.

    If you didn't change X's config file or upgrade X, I'd suspect a
    hardware problem. Check the monitor cable (that may be difficult).
    Borrow another monitor. (Hint: Spoiled rich undergraduate kids like to
    throw things away when they move out of their dorm rooms. The things
    they throw away can include x86 systems and monitors. Dumpster-diving
    during move-out week can be productive if you live near a large
    university!)

    > Is there a way to check if the current nvidia driver is causing the
    > problem?

    rpm -Uvh the RPMs they have for Redhat 9 on http://nvidia.com/ , change
    your X config file, restart X. If that clears the problem up, then
    yeah, it was a problem with the nv X module. If it doesn't, it's
    probably a hardware problem. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  8. Re: Problem: Horizontal gray stripes behind text

    On 2005-01-04, Srinivas Vanjari wrote:

    > Hello:

    Hi.

    > I am using RedHat 9.0. FVVM is my window manager.
    > The system has been working fine so far. Suddenly grey stripes started
    > appearing behind text irrespective of what program i am using (pine,
    > mozilla,vim,..). I checked logs, but could not find any relevant
    > warnings. I haven't changed any of my system settings for a long time.

    I experienced very similar - I would even go so far as to say identical -
    symptoms about a year ago: it turned out to be a case of graphicscarditis.

    I was obliged to perform a graphicscardectomy, followed by a transplant of
    a new graphics card, while my computer was under general anesthesia, every
    plug having been pulled.

  9. Re: Problem: Horizontal gray stripes behind text

    Hi,

    Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I checked my connections which
    were fine, checked the sync rates and they were fine too. I haven't got
    a chance to check the monitor yet (before trying to buy a graphics
    card). I tried changed the graphics driver to nvidia as suggested in
    the previous posts. However this did not change anything, but I have a
    small new problem.

    The virtual consoles that were working fine earlier are not working
    anymore.
    I just get a blank screen and there is no login prompt (which used to
    work fine before installing new nvidia driver). Detailed searches
    through google suggested that it has something to do with framebuffer.
    I also removed the "fbdevhw" module.

    I still can't see the virtual consoles. This problem has been reported
    in nvidia newsgroups and i could not find a solution.
    Regards,
    Srinivas.

  10. Re: Problem: Horizontal gray stripes behind text

    vanjari.srinivas@gmail.com adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos
    underwear to write:

    > I still can't see the virtual consoles. This problem has been reported
    > in nvidia newsgroups and i could not find a solution.
    > Regards,
    > Srinivas.

    Try a different vga setting at boot, on your grub/lilo boot screen type
    vga=ask it will be echoed in the kernel param line at the bottom and
    then pick a different setting.

    This should get rid of that problem with the framebuffer.

    You can set this permanently in your /boot/grub/menu.lst so that it gets
    activated each time, I have :-

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
    title Linux
    kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 vga=0x317 splash=silent
    console=tty0 desktop resume=/dev/sda1 showopts
    initrd (hd0,0)/initrd

    There are tables that give you the different sizes for vga.....
    clickety..... click....

    colours 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024

    256 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307

    32k 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319

    64k 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A

    16M 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B

    These are not all the modes but should get you somewhere.

    HTH

    --
    Mark
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum!