App as root window? - X

This is a discussion on App as root window? - X ; OK, I know this is more of a window manager question, but I hope someone can help me out.... I need to run a web browser as background. I mean that it must always be in the back, never raised, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: App as root window?

  1. App as root window?

    OK, I know this is more of a window manager question, but I hope someone
    can help me out....

    I need to run a web browser as background. I mean that it must always be
    in the back, never raised, and never have any window decoration.

    It should only have focus when no other windows are open, but this is not
    a real necessity.

    I thought that I could run it as a root window app, but I don't know
    how... Google is running dry. I did find something called bgbuddy, but
    it seems to have disappeared.

    So, anyone spare me the need to try all the window managers out there?

    --Yan

  2. Re: App as root window?

    Captain Dondo wrote:

    > OK, I know this is more of a window manager question, but I hope someone
    > can help me out....
    >
    > I need to run a web browser as background. I mean that it must always be
    > in the back, never raised, and never have any window decoration.
    >
    > It should only have focus when no other windows are open, but this is not
    > a real necessity.
    >
    > I thought that I could run it as a root window app, but I don't know
    > how... Google is running dry. I did find something called bgbuddy, but
    > it seems to have disappeared.
    >
    > So, anyone spare me the need to try all the window managers out there?
    >
    > --Yan


    Most distros have multiple desktops.
    You can run it in one of the other desktops.


  3. Re: App as root window?

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:19:45 +0000, 7 wrote:

    > Captain Dondo wrote:
    >
    >> OK, I know this is more of a window manager question, but I hope someone
    >> can help me out....
    >>
    >> I need to run a web browser as background. I mean that it must always be
    >> in the back, never raised, and never have any window decoration.


    >
    > Most distros have multiple desktops.
    > You can run it in one of the other desktops.


    I guess I didn't make myself clear. In this particular case, I have only
    one desktop. I want a browser to appear as the background. Users click
    on images in the browser, and the browser then starts a movie.

    The problem I have is that I can either run the browser as the only app
    with no window manager, which works but has some problems, or with a
    windows manager like metacity, in which case users can click on the
    browser window and the movie window 'disappears' as the browser gets
    raised over it. For other reasons I cannot embed the movie in the browser.

    So, I need to find a way to prevent a window from moving to the front,
    even if it gets focus. I've looked at a handful of window managers, but
    all seem to assume that you want the window with the focus to be raised at
    some point.

    I'm looking for the browser equivalent of roottail, if you're familiar
    with that app.

    --Yan

  4. Re: App as root window?

    Bill Marcum wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 14:17:20 -0800, Captain Dondo
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The problem I have is that I can either run the browser as the only app
    >>with no window manager, which works but has some problems, or with a
    >>windows manager like metacity, in which case users can click on the
    >>browser window and the movie window 'disappears' as the browser gets
    >>raised over it. For other reasons I cannot embed the movie in the browser.
    >>

    >
    > With a window manager you might be able to arrange for the movie window
    > to be "always on top".
    >
    >


    Yes, IceWM can do this (other WM's probably also), you can have it keep
    windows "on top" or "below", so just set the browser window to "below".

    Berend

  5. Re: App as root window?

    Captain Dondo wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:19:45 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Captain Dondo wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK, I know this is more of a window manager question, but I hope someone
    >>> can help me out....
    >>>
    >>> I need to run a web browser as background. I mean that it must always be
    >>> in the back, never raised, and never have any window decoration.

    >
    >>
    >> Most distros have multiple desktops.
    >> You can run it in one of the other desktops.

    >
    > I guess I didn't make myself clear. In this particular case, I have only
    > one desktop. I want a browser to appear as the background. Users click
    > on images in the browser, and the browser then starts a movie.
    >
    > The problem I have is that I can either run the browser as the only app
    > with no window manager, which works but has some problems, or with a
    > windows manager like metacity, in which case users can click on the
    > browser window and the movie window 'disappears' as the browser gets
    > raised over it. For other reasons I cannot embed the movie in the browser.


    mplayer -fs
    will play the movie fullscreen.
    Now, create a key definition file that turns off all/most of the controls,
    and they can't get out of it.

  6. Re: App as root window?

    Captain Dondo wrote:

    > The problem I have is that I can either run the browser as the only app
    > with no window manager, which works but has some problems, or with a
    > windows manager like metacity, in which case users can click on the
    > browser window and the movie window 'disappears' as the browser gets
    > raised over it. For other reasons I cannot embed the movie in the browser.


    Yeah, Havocs metacity ain't usefull, it don't give you much options (Havoc
    don't like options, he likes it like it's in ms-windows).

    Use a better window manageg, you have ctwm or/and twm, both supports quite
    many things you can do with applications, like run them without the WM, this
    way the user can't raise, lowe or anything with the applications (of course if
    there is a close option in the application, they can sloe it).

    If I would be you, I would avoid metacity and related applications.


    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread