Fonts in X/KDE - X

This is a discussion on Fonts in X/KDE - X ; I upgraded my KDE installation yesterday and everything works perfect except that my font's won't do "anti-alias". I've tried all font's and sizes but they still look like crap, anyone know what the problem is? // John...

  1. Fonts in X/KDE

    I upgraded my KDE installation yesterday and everything works perfect
    except that my font's won't do "anti-alias". I've tried all font's and
    sizes but they still look like crap, anyone know what the problem is?

    // John

  2. Re: Fonts in X/KDE

    John Johansson wrote:
    > I upgraded my KDE installation yesterday and everything works perfect
    > except that my font's won't do "anti-alias". I've tried all font's and
    > sizes but they still look like crap, anyone know what the problem is?

    There is an option in the KDE Fonts for antialias and think there is one for
    qtconfig too, turn on both and see. If this don't help, check up your xfs that
    it's still running and rightly configured and that your X Windows System does
    use xfs for fonts and not just have some predefined font paths.

    //Aho

  3. Re: Fonts in X/KDE

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 14:13:13 +0000, John Johansson wrote:
    >I upgraded my KDE installation yesterday and everything works perfect
    >except that my font's won't do "anti-alias". I've tried all font's and
    >sizes but they still look like crap, anyone know what the problem is?

    Raise your display resolution and the fonts will look great.

    It isn't easy getting fonts to look at vga resolution.

    I personally run 1600x1200 on a 20.5" monitor.

  4. Re: Fonts in X/KDE

    TCS wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 14:13:13 +0000, John Johansson wrote:
    >
    >>I upgraded my KDE installation yesterday and everything works perfect
    >>except that my font's won't do "anti-alias". I've tried all font's and
    >>sizes but they still look like crap, anyone know what the problem is?

    > Raise your display resolution and the fonts will look great.
    >
    > It isn't easy getting fonts to look at vga resolution.
    >
    > I personally run 1600x1200 on a 20.5" monitor.

    I'm using 1280x1024 already, i think it must be a software specific
    problem. Googled for some info before and i found some information about
    Xft and things like that. But still, it shouldn't affect my
    configuration that much only because i upgraded KDE to 3.3.2? Most of
    the config files are in ~home/.kde and /etc/X11/ no? Well, anyway, will
    try to fix it.

    //john

  5. Re: Fonts in X/KDE

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:14:48 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:
    >John Johansson wrote:
    >> I upgraded my KDE installation yesterday and everything works perfect
    >> except that my font's won't do "anti-alias". I've tried all font's and
    >> sizes but they still look like crap, anyone know what the problem is?

    >There is an option in the KDE Fonts for antialias and think there is one for
    >qtconfig too, turn on both and see. If this don't help, check up your xfs that
    >it's still running and rightly configured and that your X Windows System does
    >use xfs for fonts and not just have some predefined font paths.

    how many dpi does xdpyinfo say your running at? You might want to
    override it if it's too low.
    Do you have the 100dpi fonts installed?

+ Reply to Thread