mjpegtools to extract a frame - X

This is a discussion on mjpegtools to extract a frame - X ; I want to extract a single frame from an AVI file - from the command line. I found out that my best bet is to use mjpegtools, but I didnt understand how to use this complex tool. Can some good ...

  1. mjpegtools to extract a frame

    I want to extract a single frame from an AVI file - from the command
    line.
    I found out that my best bet is to use mjpegtools, but I didnt
    understand how to use this complex tool.

    Can some good soul help me by giving me the correct command line?

    Thanks!

    Alessandro Magni

  2. Re: mjpegtools to extract a frame

    On 1 Jan 2005 12:00:07 -0800, Alythh staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > I want to extract a single frame from an AVI file - from the command
    > line. I found out that my best bet is to use mjpegtools, but I didnt
    > understand how to use this complex tool.

    "man mjpegtools" is a good start. The person who wrote the man page
    didn't speak English natively, so it's a little garbled, but there's a
    command line that looks useful at about line 1612.

    > Can some good soul help me by giving me the correct command line?

    lavtrans -f i -i $NUM -o test.jpg test.avi

    $NUM is the frame number of the frame you want.

    You can also use mplayer to do this, which may work better than
    mjpegtools. Like so:

    mplayer -vo jpeg -ss 1:00 -frames 1 file.mov

    ....-ss is the start position, which is 1 minute here. Many people find
    dealing with minutes/seconds easier than calculating frame numbers, but
    YMMV. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!