2.6.10 and nvidia drivers - X

This is a discussion on 2.6.10 and nvidia drivers - X ; I setup a new system running debian unstable and took it to 2.6.9 initially. I had this probably somewhat and maybe well documented problem of getting X to actually start without immediately fading away and I've read a lot of ...

  1. 2.6.10 and nvidia drivers

    I setup a new system running debian unstable and took it to 2.6.9
    initially. I had this probably somewhat and maybe well documented
    problem of getting X to actually start without immediately fading away
    and I've read a lot of reports online about this. Basic question, is
    2.6.10 better with the latest nvidia drivers? I'm using the binary run
    package (not the debian packages) since I enjoy keeping my life
    moderately difficult

    I have my primary desktop that is running 2.6.7 now and I have no "beef"
    about it. It seems to work exceedingly well with everything I toss at
    it.

    Comments about the binary nvidia drivers and 2.6.10?

    --
    Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

  2. Re: 2.6.10 and nvidia drivers

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 05:29:12 +0000, Michael Perry wrote:

    > I setup a new system running debian unstable and took it to 2.6.9
    > initially. I had this probably somewhat and maybe well documented
    > problem of getting X to actually start without immediately fading away
    > and I've read a lot of reports online about this. Basic question, is
    > 2.6.10 better with the latest nvidia drivers? I'm using the binary run
    > package (not the debian packages) since I enjoy keeping my life
    > moderately difficult
    >
    > I have my primary desktop that is running 2.6.7 now and I have no "beef"
    > about it. It seems to work exceedingly well with everything I toss at
    > it.
    >
    > Comments about the binary nvidia drivers and 2.6.10?

    No, its actually worse, because they changed the names of some PCI
    functions in 2.6.10. If you don't want to mess with patches to the
    driver/kernel, you should at least upgrade to 2.6.8.1, which is the last
    release that doesn't need a patch.

    However if you want to use 2.6.10, some patches to try can be found at:

    (for 6629 nvidia driver)
    http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...12.2/0422.html
    http://ngc891.blogdns.net/index.php?...ernel-2610-rc2

    (for 6111 driver - site is down right now, but was up a couple days ago)
    http://ngc891.blogdns.net/index.php?...a-driver-again

+ Reply to Thread