nVIDIA, TwinView, Rotate, and Dual Head - X

This is a discussion on nVIDIA, TwinView, Rotate, and Dual Head - X ; I've been struggling with a config, and I think I've concluded it can't be done, but I'm posting here, hoping someone can prove me wrong. I have two LCD monitors with 1280x1024 resolution, and an nVIDIA 5900 dual head card. ...

  1. nVIDIA, TwinView, Rotate, and Dual Head

    I've been struggling with a config, and I think I've concluded
    it can't be done, but I'm posting here, hoping someone can
    prove me wrong.

    I have two LCD monitors with 1280x1024 resolution, and an
    nVIDIA 5900 dual head card. I want to turn the monitors on
    their sides to make something that's nearly a 2048x1280
    monitor.

    If I use the evil proprietary "nvidia" driver and its TwinView
    Option, I can get the dual head working fine, but it seems I
    can't rotate the displays. There's a Rotate option for XF86Config,
    but the TwinView stuff seems to just ignore it.

    If I use the open source "nv" driver and Xinerama, the Rotate
    option works okay, but that driver can't find the second head
    on my video card. I can't find any BusID for the second head.
    I suspect the nVIDIA card doesn't present two devices to the
    outside world, which is why the "nvidia" driver has the TwinView
    stuff.

    In desparation, I added a second video card to my machine (an
    old PCI Matrox I had in a box), and plugged the second monitor
    into that. Now the "nv" and "mga" drivers can both Rotate, and
    Xinerama works, so I'm soooo close.

    Unfortunately, I also play video games, so I need to be able
    to start X with a different, single monitor layout, using the
    proprietary "nvidia" driver, to get the good 3D stuff. The
    "nvidia" driver seems completely hosed with this Matrox card
    in the box, and won't display anything. The Matrox card had
    a lower BusID (1:8:0 vs the nVIDIA's 2:0:0); I don't know if
    that's part of it.

    Anyone have any advice? I'm considering buying a cheap PCI
    nVIDIA card, in hopes the "nvidia" driver won't be as bummed
    out by it as by the Matrox card.

    Thanks in advance...

    Duke

  2. Re: nVIDIA, TwinView, Rotate, and Dual Head

    Duke Robillard wrote:

    > I've been struggling with a config, and I think I've concluded
    > it can't be done, but I'm posting here, hoping someone can
    > prove me wrong.
    >
    > I have two LCD monitors with 1280x1024 resolution, and an
    > nVIDIA 5900 dual head card. I want to turn the monitors on
    > their sides to make something that's nearly a 2048x1280
    > monitor.
    >
    > If I use the evil proprietary "nvidia" driver and its TwinView
    > Option, I can get the dual head working fine, but it seems I
    > can't rotate the displays. There's a Rotate option for XF86Config,
    > but the TwinView stuff seems to just ignore it.

    Rotate ain't at this moment supported by the nvidia driver, the closest I see
    you could get to 2048x1280 would be 2048x3072 (using two 2048x1536 placed side
    by side of eachother), but that is quite far from what you wanted.

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread