Prevent virtual desktop panning - X

This is a discussion on Prevent virtual desktop panning - X ; Is there a way to prevent the virtual desktop from panning when I move the mouse pointer out of the current view area? It gets very annoying when playing Starcraft in a 640x480 window with the visible screen set to ...

  1. Prevent virtual desktop panning

    Is there a way to prevent the virtual desktop from panning when I move
    the mouse pointer out of the current view area? It gets very annoying
    when playing Starcraft in a 640x480 window with the visible screen set
    to the same resolution (the virtual desktop is at 1400x1280 IIRC). As
    soon as I happen to move the mouse outside the visible screen, the the
    window with Starcraft scrolls out of view.

    I can't run Starcraft fullscreen because that messes up my KDE desktop.

    I'm using Fedora Core2 with xorg 6.6 (IIRC) and KDE 3.2 but I'm willing
    to try another desktop manager if necessary.

    I've googled for an answer but nothing turned up.

    --
    Niklas Ramsberg
    aka

  2. Re: Prevent virtual desktop panning

    On 29 Dec 2004 08:03:29 GMT, Niklas Ramsberg staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > Is there a way to prevent the virtual desktop from panning when I move
    > the mouse pointer out of the current view area? It gets very annoying
    > when playing Starcraft in a 640x480 window with the visible screen set
    > to the same resolution (the virtual desktop is at 1400x1280 IIRC). As
    > soon as I happen to move the mouse outside the visible screen, the the
    > window with Starcraft scrolls out of view.

    The virtual screen behavior you describe (and hate) is by design. The
    typical solution is to use xrandr to set the root window size to YxZ,
    play your game, and use xrandr to set the root window size to whatever
    it was before after the game exits. SDL can do this or something like
    it with a few lines of C, but I'm guessing Starcraft doesn't use SDL.
    Are you running Starcraft with Wine?

    > I can't run Starcraft fullscreen because that messes up my KDE desktop.

    What? Details, please.

    > I'm using Fedora Core2 with xorg 6.6 (IIRC) and KDE 3.2 but I'm
    > willing to try another desktop manager if necessary. I've googled for
    > an answer but nothing turned up.

    KDE has little or nothing to do with this; the virtual screen behavior
    is part of X, not whatever window manager you're running.

    --
    I went to edit my info to change "system administrator type dude" to
    "porn star for hire", but all I got was a threat.

  3. Re: Prevent virtual desktop panning

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:51:41 +0000, Dances With Crows wrote:

    > The virtual screen behavior you describe (and hate) is by design. The
    > typical solution is to use xrandr to set the root window size to YxZ,
    > play your game, and use xrandr to set the root window size to whatever
    > it was before after the game exits. SDL can do this or something like
    > it with a few lines of C, but I'm guessing Starcraft doesn't use SDL.
    > Are you running Starcraft with Wine?

    Yes, running it in Wine. Fullscreen SDL games work just fine.

    >> I can't run Starcraft fullscreen because that messes up my KDE desktop.

    > What? Details, please.

    When I run it fullscreen, it changes the resolution to 640x480
    (obviously), and when I shut it down, it goes back to 1400x1050 and all
    the carefully arranged icons on my desktop, i.e. disk drives, cdrom
    players, etc, are rearranged and grouped willy-nilly in a 640x480 area in
    the top left corner of the desktop.

    Several of the icons actually disappear and don't come back until I logout
    and login again.

    This happens with the KDE desktop even if I logout, start Gnome, play the
    game in Gnome, logout again and log back in to KDE.

    > KDE has little or nothing to do with this; the virtual screen behavior
    > is part of X, not whatever window manager you're running.

    OK, thanks. I suspected as much, but I hoped that it was a KDE issue. Not
    a big deal really, just annoying.

    Would it be possible implement a feature in a desktop manager where you
    could lock the mouse in a window, so that X wouldn't detect that it's
    being moved outside the window's borders?

    I'm no programmer myself (only a little Java and just started to dip my
    toes in C) so I don't have much of an idea how window managers interact
    with X.

    --
    Niklas Ramsberg
    aka
    ( Bacon http://www.baconman.nu
    < . Go to my homepage for my real email address

  4. Re: Prevent virtual desktop panning

    On 29 Dec 2004 08:03:29 GMT,
    Niklas Ramsberg wrote:
    > Is there a way to prevent the virtual desktop from panning
    > when I move the mouse pointer out of the current view area? It
    > gets very annoying when playing Starcraft in a 640x480 window
    > with the visible screen set to the same resolution (the
    > virtual desktop is at 1400x1280 IIRC). As soon as I happen to
    > move the mouse outside the visible screen, the the window with
    > Starcraft scrolls out of view.
    >
    > I can't run Starcraft fullscreen because that messes up my KDE
    > desktop.
    >
    > I'm using Fedora Core2 with xorg 6.6 (IIRC) and KDE 3.2 but
    > I'm willing to try another desktop manager if necessary.

    As long as you know what command you need to issue to start the
    game, do a Ctrl+Alt+F1, log in, and startx `which twm` -- :1,
    start an xterm, and issue the required command. You should be
    able to switch between the two screens with Ctrl+Alt+F7/F8.

    HTH,

    Michael C.
    --
    mcsuper5@usol.com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    "I can not bring myself to believe that if knowledge presents danger,
    the solution is ignorance" - Isaac Asimov

  5. Re: Prevent virtual desktop panning

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:06:33 -0500, Michael C. wrote:

    > On 29 Dec 2004 08:03:29 GMT,
    > Niklas Ramsberg wrote:
    >> Is there a way to prevent the virtual desktop from panning when I move
    >> the mouse pointer out of the current view area? It gets very annoying
    >> when playing Starcraft in a 640x480 window with the visible screen set
    >> to the same resolution (the virtual desktop is at 1400x1280 IIRC). As
    >> soon as I happen to move the mouse outside the visible screen, the the
    >> window with Starcraft scrolls out of view.

    [snip]
    > As long as you know what command you need to issue to start the game, do
    > a Ctrl+Alt+F1, log in, and startx `which twm` -- :1, start an xterm, and
    > issue the required command. You should be able to switch between the
    > two screens with Ctrl+Alt+F7/F8.

    X starts (I get the Nvidia splash screen) but then it exits with :

    /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm: bad command line option "which"

    and lists all command line options for xterm.

    --
    Niklas Ramsberg
    aka
    ( Bacon http://www.baconman.nu
    < . Go to my homepage for my real email address

  6. Re: Prevent virtual desktop panning

    Niklas Ramsberg wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:06:33 -0500, Michael C. wrote:
    >>Niklas Ramsberg wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a way to prevent the virtual desktop from panning when I move
    >>> the mouse pointer out of the current view area? It gets very annoying
    >>> when playing Starcraft in a 640x480 window with the visible screen set
    >>> to the same resolution (the virtual desktop is at 1400x1280 IIRC). As
    >>> soon as I happen to move the mouse outside the visible screen, the the
    >>> window with Starcraft scrolls out of view.

    >>As long as you know what command you need to issue to start the game, do
    >>a Ctrl+Alt+F1, log in, and startx `which twm` -- :1, start an xterm, and
    >>issue the required command. You should be able to switch between the
    >>two screens with Ctrl+Alt+F7/F8.

    > X starts (I get the Nvidia splash screen) but then it exits with :
    >
    > /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm: bad command line option "which"
    >
    > and lists all command line options for xterm.

    Yeah, what's up with that? I love 'which' and half the distros
    don't seem to ship it. (which is a program that searches the
    PATH for the command you give it...like, it finds twm. The
    shell built-in "type" command does a similar thing)

    Instead of 'which twm' find the path for twm:

    duke@duke:~> type twm
    twm is /usr/bin/X11/twm

    and put that path after startx.

    Duke

  7. Re: Prevent virtual desktop panning

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:35:56 -0500, Duke Robillard wrote:

    >> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:06:33 -0500, Michael C. wrote:
    >>>Niklas Ramsberg wrote:

    [snip]
    >> X starts (I get the Nvidia splash screen) but then it exits with :
    >>
    >> /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm: bad command line option "which"
    >>
    >> and lists all command line options for xterm.

    > Yeah, what's up with that? I love 'which' and half the distros don't
    > seem to ship it. (which is a program that searches the PATH for the
    > command you give it...like, it finds twm. The shell built-in "type"
    > command does a similar thing)

    I searched through my packages and I actually do have 'which' installed.
    No idea why it won't work.

    > Instead of 'which twm' find the path for twm:
    >
    > duke@duke:~> type twm
    > twm is /usr/bin/X11/twm
    >
    > and put that path after startx.

    That did the trick. Thanks!

    --
    Niklas Ramsberg
    aka
    ( Bacon http://www.baconman.nu
    < . Go to my homepage for my real email address

  8. Re: Prevent virtual desktop panning

    Niklas Ramsberg wrote:

    > Yes, running it in Wine. Fullscreen SDL games work just fine.

    >>>I can't run Starcraft fullscreen because that messes up my KDE desktop.

    >>What? Details, please.

    > When I run it fullscreen, it changes the resolution to 640x480
    > (obviously), and when I shut it down, it goes back to 1400x1050 and all
    > the carefully arranged icons on my desktop, i.e. disk drives, cdrom
    > players, etc, are rearranged and grouped willy-nilly in a 640x480 area in
    > the top left corner of the desktop.

    This seems like an effect of xrandr, not sure if you should file a wine or
    Xorg bugreport. Myself I use cedega (former WineX), and it don't have this
    kind of problems.

    xrandr (if supprted by the desktop) will cause the desktop to refitt
    everything into the new sized desktop.

    //Aho

  9. Re: Prevent virtual desktop panning

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 21:49:38 -0500, Bill Marcum wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:35:56 -0500, Duke Robillard
    > wrote:

    [snip]

    >>> X starts (I get the Nvidia splash screen) but then it exits with :
    >>>
    >>> /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm: bad command line option "which"
    >>>
    >>> and lists all command line options for xterm.

    [snip]
    > From the error message, it looks like someone was not typing back quotes
    > for `which twm`.

    Oops! You're right. Such an embarrassing mistake to make.

    --
    Niklas Ramsberg
    aka
    ( Bacon http://www.baconman.nu
    < . Go to my homepage for my real email address

+ Reply to Thread