Can I Run Linux From a CD?? - X

This is a discussion on Can I Run Linux From a CD?? - X ; I'm new to linux and i would like to know if i could run linux from the cd? any answers please e-mail me at Jnorchanian@verizon.net Thanks...

  1. Can I Run Linux From a CD??

    I'm new to linux and i would like to know if i could run linux from the
    cd?

    any answers please e-mail me at Jnorchanian@verizon.net

    Thanks

  2. Re: Can I Run Linux From a CD??

    A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, jnorchanian@verizon.net wrote:
    > I'm new to linux and i would like to know if i could run linux from the
    > cd?

    If your system can boot from a CD-ROM, then most likely you can.

    There are a set of distributions designed for this purpose; look for
    Knoppix.
    --
    select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';
    "Using Outlook Express is the moral equivalent of putting on spike

  3. Re: Can I Run Linux From a CD??

    On 29 Dec 2004 04:57:39 GMT, Christopher Browne wrote:
    >A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, jnorchanian@verizon.net wrote:
    >> I'm new to linux and i would like to know if i could run linux from the
    >> cd?

    >If your system can boot from a CD-ROM, then most likely you can.

    >There are a set of distributions designed for this purpose; look for
    >Knoppix.

    or mandrake-move

  4. Re: Can I Run Linux From a CD??

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 04:57:39 +0000, Christopher Browne wrote:

    > A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, jnorchanian@verizon.net wrote:
    >> I'm new to linux and i would like to know if i could run linux from the
    >> cd?

    > If your system can boot from a CD-ROM, then most likely you can.
    >
    > There are a set of distributions designed for this purpose; look for
    > Knoppix.

    There is also a 'multi-dist' which I read about a couple of weeks ago on
    distrowatch.com - on one CD it includes 6 or 7 distros.

  5. Re: Can I Run Linux From a CD??

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 04:57:39 +0000, Christopher Browne wrote:

    > A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, jnorchanian@verizon.net wrote:
    >> I'm new to linux and i would like to know if i could run linux from the
    >> cd?

    > If your system can boot from a CD-ROM, then most likely you can.

    Even if it can't, check out http://btmgr.webframe.org/ - if you can boot
    off a floppy, you can boot from any device it recognizes, and pick it at
    boot time.... Great little tool for installing on those ancient systems
    that can't boot off a CD.

    > There are a set of distributions designed for this purpose; look for
    > Knoppix.

  6. Re: Can I Run Linux From a CD??

    jnorchanian@verizon.net wrote:
    > I'm new to linux and i would like to know if i could
    > run linux from the cd?

    There are quite a number of "Live CD" Linux distros. The most famous of
    them is Knoppix, which really started the Linux LiveCD genre a couple of
    years back. Most of them are KDE-based and include everything and the
    kitchen sink.

    If you'd prefer a lean, clean, Gnome-based distro, I highly recommend
    "BeatrIX".

    "Small. Simple. Elegant." is their motto, and they mean it:

    http://www.watsky.net

    Download the ISO, burn it to CD, boot the CD. That's it. Surf the net
    (Firefox), do email, instant messaging, word processing ... just off the
    CD you just booted. If you like what you see, you can even install it
    to the hard drive right then and there.

    Everyone will likely have different preferences. I suggest downloading
    BeatrIX, Knoppix, and several others (you can read the maze of them at
    distrowatch.com) until you find one you like. They'll usually
    periodically release a new version, sometimes as often as every six
    weeks or so.

    --
    da
    ~~