Booting into KDE - X

This is a discussion on Booting into KDE - X ; I am new to Linux and have found KDE which I access simply by typing startx, I understand there is an alternative call gnome however I am yet to find how to start it, but that's another thing... I would ...

  1. Booting into KDE

    I am new to Linux and have found KDE which I access simply by typing startx,
    I understand there is an alternative call gnome however I am yet to find
    how to start it, but that's another thing...

    I would like to have my system boot to kde and login via a GUI login prompt.
    To this end I have founf the following article that discusses run levels
    and how to access the GUI login:
    http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/X_Windo..._Into_GUI.html

    This works fine except that the GUI login I am presented with takes me into
    GNOME...

    How do I get the GUI login to boot into KDE ?

    --
    Thanks

    Murph

  2. Re: Booting into KDE

    Murphy writes:

    > I am new to Linux and have found KDE which I access simply by typing startx,
    > I understand there is an alternative call gnome however I am yet to find
    > how to start it, but that's another thing...
    >
    > I would like to have my system boot to kde and login via a GUI login prompt.
    > To this end I have founf the following article that discusses run levels
    > and how to access the GUI login:
    > http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/X_Windo..._Into_GUI.html
    >
    > This works fine except that the GUI login I am presented with takes me into
    > GNOME...
    >
    > How do I get the GUI login to boot into KDE ?

    I would suggest putting "exec startkde" into your .xsession file. This SHOULD
    start KDE when you login, but I'm not certain. I know it will if you are
    using XDM. If you are using GDM or KDM, you may be able to select KDE from a
    menu at the login prompt.
    Good luck!

    Digi
    --