Xnest and german Keyboard Layout - X

This is a discussion on Xnest and german Keyboard Layout - X ; Sorry this was also posted to comp.windows.x. But I did not receive any answer ... So once again Hi there, I am using Xnest to connect to other boxes running xdm etc. "Xnest -query worf :1" gives me a xdm ...

  1. Xnest and german Keyboard Layout

    Sorry this was also posted to comp.windows.x. But I did not receive
    any answer ... So once again

    Hi there,

    I am using Xnest to connect to other boxes running xdm etc.

    "Xnest -query worf :1" gives me a xdm loggin. German "Umlauts" like
    work fine but any Special Character like "Pipe" | or "Open Square"
    [ do not work. In general all Keys created with + do not
    work.

    Xnest says something about -xkbmap "map to use" but I cannot figure
    out how this is done. for example :

    lvmbi@worf:/~ > Xnest -query worf :1 -xkbmap xfree86
    Error opening keymap file xfree86, reverting to defaults

    or

    lvmbi@worf:/~ > Xnest -query worf :1 -xkbdir /usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules
    -xkbdb xfree86
    Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

    does not work either. Pls can somebody give me an example how to get
    the correct keymap it should be pc104(de) and how to start Xnest with
    that.

    As a try I started Xnest with

    lvmbi@worf:/~ >Xnest -query worf :1 -xkbdir /usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules
    -xkbdb xfree86 -xkbmap "de(pc104)"
    sh: line 1: /usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xkbcomp: Datei oder Verzeichnis
    nicht gefunden
    sh: line 1: /usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xkbcomp: Datei oder Verzeichnis
    nicht gefunden
    Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
    Error opening keymap file de(pc104), reverting to defaults

    I have no idea whats going on.

    Regards

    Michael

  2. Re: Xnest and german Keyboard Layout

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 05:02:30 -0800, michael wrote:

    > "Xnest -query worf :1" gives me a xdm loggin. German "Umlauts" like
    > work fine but any Special Character like "Pipe" | or "Open Square" [ do
    > not work. In general all Keys created with + do not work.
    >
    > Xnest says something about -xkbmap "map to use" but I cannot figure out
    > how this is done. for example :

    I have this version of Xnest, it doesn't say anything about -xkbmap.
    Xserver does, however and Xnext says it takes any of the standard Xserver
    options.

    xorg-x11-Xnest-6.7.0-10.1

    > As a try I started Xnest with

    > lvmbi@worf:/~ >Xnest -query worf :1 -xkbdir /usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules -xkbdb
    > xfree86 -xkbmap "de(pc104)"
    > sh: line 1: /usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xkbcomp: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
    > gefunden
    > sh: line 1: /usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xkbcomp: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
    > gefunden
    > Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap Error opening
    > keymap file de(pc104), reverting to defaults
    >
    > I have no idea whats going on.

    I may be mistaken, but if I thought I am, I wouldn't be writing this.

    $ Xnest :1 & gnome-terminal --display :1 &

    Inside the gnome-terminal window:
    $ xkbcomp :1
    Error: XKB Extension not present on :1
    Exiting

    This indicates to me that Xnest does not support the xkb extension. That
    would explain why the xkb... options are not working.

    Next I ran xkeycaps to set up a 105-key german keyboard. I'm able to get
    the \ key to work with the Alt-GR modifier, but the | key is hidden under
    one of my shift keys. I'm sure it would work perfectly if I were using my
    German keyboard.

    You can get xkeycaps from Jamie Zawinski.
    http://www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/

    CB

+ Reply to Thread