Amiga AGA chipset support for later version of X server broken in Debian Woody - X

This is a discussion on Amiga AGA chipset support for later version of X server broken in Debian Woody - X ; Hello, It may have escaped a lot of peoples attention, but the Amiga AGA chipset support for X servers seemed to go out the window with Debian Woody, i.e. seems to be completely broken. Yet no-one seems to be interested ...

  1. Amiga AGA chipset support for later version of X server broken in Debian Woody

    Hello,
    It may have escaped a lot of peoples attention, but the Amiga AGA
    chipset support for X servers seemed to go out the window with Debian
    Woody, i.e. seems to be completely broken.
    Yet no-one seems to be interested in repairing it..
    Is anyone up to the challenge? My programming skills aren't up to it,
    but I really want to see a modern X server again on my Amiga
    (hopefully in Sarge..), not that old equipment seems to be of high
    priority anymore
    I know the AGA chipset is old hat, but it seems silly to leave it
    broken. Does it highlight a lack of backwards compatibility in the
    direction that the X server development has taken?
    Why compile for m68k in the first place if it isn't worth testing?

    --
    mattabat

  2. Re: Amiga AGA chipset support for later version of X server brokenin Debian Woody

    mattabat wrote:

    > It may have escaped a lot of peoples attention, but the Amiga AGA
    > chipset support for X servers seemed to go out the window with Debian
    > Woody, i.e. seems to be completely broken.
    > Yet no-one seems to be interested in repairing it..

    Could it be that there aren't so many users who still has only AGA on their
    machines. Many have changed to other platforms/amiga clones or have PCI (and
    soon AGP) support, so they can use better graphics cards.

    > Is anyone up to the challenge? My programming skills aren't up to it,
    > but I really want to see a modern X server again on my Amiga
    > (hopefully in Sarge..), not that old equipment seems to be of high
    > priority anymore

    That seems to be true for all distros, tech from the 80's aren't supported.

    > I know the AGA chipset is old hat, but it seems silly to leave it
    > broken. Does it highlight a lack of backwards compatibility in the
    > direction that the X server development has taken?

    I think you gain more of still using older version of XFree86 than move over
    to a new version or Xorg, as the new features won't be possible to do in AGA,
    except xrandr, but that one ain't that much used yet, maybe in a couple of
    years you will see KDE or Gnome3 (lets hope it will be more userfriendly than
    Gnome2) to use it.

    > Why compile for m68k in the first place if it isn't worth testing?

    m68k ain't the fastest CPU, so why run heavy stuff on it, use the console instead.

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread