Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs? - X

This is a discussion on Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs? - X ; If you needed to do some maintenance on the OS setup, but had booted into XFree86/KDE, how would one shut the GUI stuff all down? For example, to re- install XFree86 - how would one do a quick shutdown of ...

  1. Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    If you needed to do some maintenance on the OS setup, but had booted into
    XFree86/KDE, how would one shut the GUI stuff all down? For example, to re-
    install XFree86 - how would one do a quick shutdown of all GUI-related
    programs currently running?

    TIA

  2. Re: Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    Scruffy Eagle wrote:
    > If you needed to do some maintenance on the OS setup, but had booted into
    > XFree86/KDE, how would one shut the GUI stuff all down? For example, to re-
    > install XFree86 - how would one do a quick shutdown of all GUI-related
    > programs currently running?

    Ctrl-Alt-Del?.. Or F1 instead of delete, depending on your setup..
    Or type "telinit 3" as root.

    --
    - gipsy boy

  3. Re: Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    Scruffy Eagle wrote:

    > If you needed to do some maintenance on the OS setup, but had booted into
    > XFree86/KDE, how would one shut the GUI stuff all down? For example, to
    > re- install XFree86 - how would one do a quick shutdown of all GUI-related
    > programs currently running?
    >
    > TIA

    Restart /reboot the GUI with "Ctrl + Alt + Backspace"

    To stop the GUI switch into a console and run "telinit 3" as root,
    this will put you in ALL console only mode. "startx" (as user) will
    relaunch the GUI
    --
    faeychild

  4. Re: Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    faeychild wrote:
    > Scruffy Eagle wrote:
    >

    >>If you needed to do some maintenance on the OS setup, but had booted into
    >>XFree86/KDE, how would one shut the GUI stuff all down? For example, to
    >>re- install XFree86 - how would one do a quick shutdown of all GUI-related
    >>programs currently running?
    >>
    >>TIA

    > Restart /reboot the GUI with "Ctrl + Alt + Backspace"
    >
    > To stop the GUI switch into a console and run "telinit 3" as root,
    > this will put you in ALL console only mode. "startx" (as user) will
    > relaunch the GUI

    ctrl-alt-F1 will get one directly to the console and you can login as anyone
    you like, but of course for mantenance it's best to be root for a short while.

    To become root in xterm or console, when you are logged in as normal user:
    su -

    To update XFree86 (most distros uses Xorg nowdays), just install it (if you
    have binaries) or compile it and install it (if you use source) and then
    restart the X Windows System (log out, press ctrl-alt-backspace) and you are
    suddenly using your new X Windows System.

    //Aho

  5. Re: Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    On 2004-12-20, Scruffy Eagle wrote:

    > If you needed to do some maintenance on the OS setup, but had booted into
    > XFree86/KDE, how would one shut the GUI stuff all down? For example, to re-
    > install XFree86 - how would one do a quick shutdown of all GUI-related
    > programs currently running?

    CTRL-ALT-[Backspace] will kill the current X server. If you're in a
    runlevel (e.g. "5") that uses a display manager (xdm/gdm/kdm), the X
    server will restart and spawn another display manager login widget.

    If you just want to drop down to a text console, use "telinit 3" to change
    to runlevel 3, which is a text console.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  6. Re: Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    gipsy boy wrote in

    > Scruffy Eagle wrote:
    >> If you needed to do some maintenance on the OS setup, but had booted
    >> into XFree86/KDE, how would one shut the GUI stuff all down? For
    >> example, to re- install XFree86 - how would one do a quick shutdown
    >> of all GUI-related programs currently running?

    > Ctrl-Alt-Del?.. Or F1 instead of delete, depending on your setup..
    > Or type "telinit 3" as root.

    Hi!

    Thanks for replying. Ctrl-Alt-Del just triggers a suspend mode on my
    machine, so that won't do it. I'll try the telinit 3", though, and see what
    the result is.

    Scruffy
    http://scruffyeagle.com

  7. Re: Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    faeychild wrote in

    > Scruffy Eagle wrote:
    >
    >> If you needed to do some maintenance on the OS setup, but had booted
    >> into XFree86/KDE, how would one shut the GUI stuff all down? For
    >> example, to re- install XFree86 - how would one do a quick shutdown
    >> of all GUI-related programs currently running?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Restart /reboot the GUI with "Ctrl + Alt + Backspace"
    >
    > To stop the GUI switch into a console and run "telinit 3" as root,
    > this will put you in ALL console only mode. "startx" (as user) will
    > relaunch the GUI

    Hi!

    Ctrl-Alt-Del just triggers a suspend mode on my system, so that won't do
    it.

    I'll try "telinit 3" tonight, and then try the "startx" you recommend.

    Thanks for the reply!

    Scruffy
    http://scruffyeagle.com

  8. Re: Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    "J.O. Aho" wrote in

    > faeychild wrote:
    >> Scruffy Eagle wrote:
    >>

    >>>If you needed to do some maintenance on the OS setup, but had booted
    >>>into XFree86/KDE, how would one shut the GUI stuff all down? For
    >>>example, to re- install XFree86 - how would one do a quick shutdown
    >>>of all GUI-related programs currently running?
    >>>
    >>>TIA

    >> Restart /reboot the GUI with "Ctrl + Alt + Backspace"
    >>
    >> To stop the GUI switch into a console and run "telinit 3" as root,
    >> this will put you in ALL console only mode. "startx" (as user) will
    >> relaunch the GUI

    > ctrl-alt-F1 will get one directly to the console and you can login as
    > anyone you like, but of course for mantenance it's best to be root for
    > a short while.
    >
    > To become root in xterm or console, when you are logged in as normal
    > user: su -
    >
    > To update XFree86 (most distros uses Xorg nowdays), just install it
    > (if you have binaries) or compile it and install it (if you use
    > source) and then restart the X Windows System (log out, press
    > ctrl-alt-backspace) and you are suddenly using your new X Windows
    > System.
    >

    > //Aho

    Hi!

    I posted my initial inquiry in this thread, because I'd really had to trick
    the system into booting w/o GUI, during my recent re-installation of
    XFree86 v4.4.0. I didn't pursue trying to install XFree86 w/o having it not
    at all in use, because of the dire warning re. that which the documentation
    (and installation script) contained. I think I've got the key trick now,
    via the "telinit 3" command, and will try that later. Thanks for the reply!

    Scruffy
    http://scruffyeagle.com

  9. Re: Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org wrote in

    > On 2004-12-20, Scruffy Eagle wrote:
    >
    >> If you needed to do some maintenance on the OS setup, but had booted
    >> into XFree86/KDE, how would one shut the GUI stuff all down? For
    >> example, to re- install XFree86 - how would one do a quick shutdown
    >> of all GUI-related programs currently running?

    > CTRL-ALT-[Backspace] will kill the current X server. If you're in a
    > runlevel (e.g. "5") that uses a display manager (xdm/gdm/kdm), the X
    > server will restart and spawn another display manager login widget.
    >
    > If you just want to drop down to a text console, use "telinit 3" to
    > change to runlevel 3, which is a text console.

    Hi, John!

    Ctrl-Alt-Del won't do it; only triggers a suspend on my machine. I'll try
    the "telinit 3" command later tonight.

    Thanks!

  10. Re: Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    Scruffy wrote:
    > john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org wrote in
    >

    >>On 2004-12-20, Scruffy Eagle wrote:
    >>

    >>>If you needed to do some maintenance on the OS setup, but had booted
    >>>into XFree86/KDE, how would one shut the GUI stuff all down? For
    >>>example, to re- install XFree86 - how would one do a quick shutdown
    >>>of all GUI-related programs currently running?

    >>CTRL-ALT-[Backspace] will kill the current X server. If you're in a
    >>runlevel (e.g. "5") that uses a display manager (xdm/gdm/kdm), the X
    >>server will restart and spawn another display manager login widget.
    >>
    >>If you just want to drop down to a text console, use "telinit 3" to
    >>change to runlevel 3, which is a text console.
    >>

    > Hi, John!
    >
    > Ctrl-Alt-Del won't do it; only triggers a suspend on my machine. I'll try
    > the "telinit 3" command later tonight.

    Backspace, not Del! The long horizontal one.
    My bad, actually.

    --
    - gipsy boy

  11. Re: Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    gipsy boy wrote:
    > Or type "telinit 3" as root.

    What's the difference between "telinit 3" and "init 3"? I've always
    used the latter, and hadn't even heard of 'telinit' before this thread.

    --
    da
    ~~

  12. Re: Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:20:56 -0500, Donkey Agony wrote:

    > gipsy boy wrote:
    >> Or type "telinit 3" as root.

    > What's the difference between "telinit 3" and "init 3"? I've always used
    > the latter, and hadn't even heard of 'telinit' before this thread.

    No difference.

    $ man telinit

    TELINIT
    The init binary checks if it is init or telinit by looking at its
    process id; the real init˙s process id is always 1. From this it
    follows that instead of calling telinit one can also just use init
    instead as a shortcut.

  13. Re: Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    Craig Bergren wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:20:56 -0500, Donkey Agony wrote:
    >
    >> gipsy boy wrote:
    >>> Or type "telinit 3" as root.

    >> What's the difference between "telinit 3" and "init 3"? I've always used
    >> the latter, and hadn't even heard of 'telinit' before this thread.

    > No difference.

    sysinit used to work to didn't it?

    --
    faeychild

  14. Re: Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:41:50 +1100, faeychild wrote:

    > Craig Bergren wrote:

    >>> What's the difference between "telinit 3" and "init 3"? I've always
    >>> used the latter, and hadn't even heard of 'telinit' before this thread.

    >> No difference.
    >>

    > sysinit used to work to didn't it?

    I don't recall that to be the case. I remember using init on HP-UX up
    until about the time after an upgrade init quit working and asked you
    politely to use telinit instead; the current semantics are part of SVID2
    standard. That was before I started using Linux. sysinit is the tag in
    /etc/inittab that runs before login and the name of the startup script.
    Perhaps that's what you are remembering?

    CB

  15. Re: Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    Donkey Agony wrote:
    > gipsy boy wrote:
    > > Or type "telinit 3" as root.

    > What's the difference between "telinit 3" and "init 3"? I've
    > always used the latter, and hadn't even heard of 'telinit'
    > before this thread.

    While I imagine that there was a difference historically, there
    isn't one for Debian, currently. On my system /sbin/telinit is a
    symlink to /sbin/init, I think that is common for Linux.

    If noone here knows of a historical difference, you might try a
    unix group.

    Michael C.
    --
    mcsuper5@usol.com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    The only people who don't make mistakes are the ones that aren't doing
    anything.

  16. Re: Newbie Q: Shutdown of GUI & all it's programs?

    Michael C. wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:20:56 -0500,
    > Donkey Agony wrote:
    >
    >> gipsy boy wrote:
    >>
    >> What's the difference between "telinit 3" and "init 3"? I've
    >> always used the latter, and hadn't even heard of 'telinit'
    >> before this thread.
    >>

    > While I imagine that there was a difference historically, there
    > isn't one for Debian, currently. On my system /sbin/telinit is a
    > symlink to /sbin/init, I think that is common for Linux.
    >
    > If noone here knows of a historical difference, you might try a

    IIRC you run `telinit q' to make init reread /etc/inittab

+ Reply to Thread