PING: Dances with Crows, re. xsession mgr. setup - X

This is a discussion on PING: Dances with Crows, re. xsession mgr. setup - X ; Hi, Dances with Crows! Thanks for your help, in your posts responding to me. I thought I should update you, re. the outcome of applying what you wrote. Inspecting the .xsession file, there wasn't any line to initiate the session ...

  1. PING: Dances with Crows, re. xsession mgr. setup

    Hi, Dances with Crows!

    Thanks for your help, in your posts responding to me. I thought I should
    update you, re. the outcome of applying what you wrote.

    Inspecting the .xsession file, there wasn't any line to initiate the
    session manager (no line w/ "exec xdm" in it). Searching further, I found
    that phrase in a file named "default-session-manager". I tried changing it
    there, but all that did was to cause the system to not boot into any X
    session at all (booted to a login prompt). The solution which worked, was
    to uninstall xdm, x-windows, and gdm via use of dselect - then, re-install
    them. Completing that re-installation process included(gave me) access to
    the screen in the setup routines, where I was provided the choice of which
    X session manager to use. I chose gdm, and when I rebooted - viola! There
    it was; gnome offering me login, then running a desktop session on my
    computer.

    I should mention, that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace didn't have the effect of
    terminating and killing the X processes to leave me back at a command
    prompt. What it did do, was to trigger putting the system into a
    suspend/standby state which my keypress was able to cause revival from.

    Thanks again!

    Scruffy
    http://scruffyeagle.com

  2. Re: PING: Dances with Crows, re. xsession mgr. setup

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:36:13 -0000, Scruffy Eagle staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > The solution which worked, was to uninstall xdm, x-windows, and gdm
    > via use of dselect - then, re-install them. Completing that
    > re-installation process included(gave me) access to the screen in the
    > setup routines, where I was provided the choice of which X session
    > manager to use. I chose gdm, and when I rebooted - viola!

    Hm. Sounds a little strange to me, but if it worked, it's all good.

    > I should mention, that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace didn't have the effect of
    > terminating and killing the X processes to leave me back at a command
    > prompt. What it did do, was to trigger putting the system into a
    > suspend/standby state which my keypress was able to cause revival from.

    ? This doesn't sound right. If Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is putting your
    machine into APM/ACPI suspend-to-RAM, you're probably not using a
    standard desktop x86 machine. If your machine's BIOS or whatever
    interprets that key sequence as "do an APM suspend", then you'll have to
    modify the settings so that it doesn't do that. Regardless, you should
    check your X config file and make sure that the line

    Option "DontZap" "true"

    is not present. If that line is present, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will not do
    anything special. If it is not present, that key sequence will kill X
    and all the clients.

    --
    Hope is gone and she confessed / When you lay your dreams to rest
    You can get what's second best / But it's hard to get enough...

  3. Re: PING: Dances with Crows, re. xsession mgr. setup

    Dances With Crows wrote in
    news:slrncsdrmn.5s9.danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@crow20 2.dyndns.org:

    (snipped)
    > ? This doesn't sound right. If Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is putting your
    > machine into APM/ACPI suspend-to-RAM, you're probably not using a
    > standard desktop x86 machine. If your machine's BIOS or whatever
    > interprets that key sequence as "do an APM suspend", then you'll have to
    > modify the settings so that it doesn't do that. Regardless, you should
    > check your X config file and make sure that the line
    >
    > Option "DontZap" "true"
    >
    > is not present. If that line is present, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will not do
    > anything special. If it is not present, that key sequence will kill X
    > and all the clients.

    Hello again!

    The system I'm struggling with is a HP Pavilion 6360. 128 MB RAM, AMD-K6
    CPU (233 MHz), 40 GB "WD400E" HD (7 GB partition 1, where woody is), HP
    "M50" monitor, Logitech trackball, & Microsoft "Internet" model keyboard. I
    think the only reference to APM suspend in the BIOS is a checkbox to
    activate or deactivate it. I'll take a peek at the XFree86.conf file
    tonight, and see if that {Option "DontZap" "true"} is in there.

    Thanks!

    Scruffy Eagle
    http://scruffyeagle.com

    "Depriving a child of their father