Newbie question - Debian on Virtual PC - X

This is a discussion on Newbie question - Debian on Virtual PC - X ; Hi, I am completely in the dark here. (frustrated!!!) Debian installed (2.2.20) Xfree86 4.4.0 installed How do i get my GeForce4 card configured? I've been looking all around. Can't find a real solution. Probably because I'm a newbie. ;-) I've ...

  1. Newbie question - Debian on Virtual PC

    Hi,

    I am completely in the dark here. (frustrated!!!)

    Debian installed (2.2.20)
    Xfree86 4.4.0 installed

    How do i get my GeForce4 card configured? I've been looking all around.
    Can't find a real solution. Probably because I'm a newbie. ;-)

    I've tried to configure XF86Config-4. I keep getting into problems. It keeps
    saying: " no screens found"

    Ok..... I am using Virtual PC on Windows.
    It indicates that I should use the S3 driver. But how do I configure this
    stuff in a understandable way??????? Is there a comprehensive config tool
    anyway for this ****?

    Thanks in advance.

    Marc.

  2. Re: Newbie question - Debian on Virtual PC

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 01:16:05 +0100,
    Marc Voskuil , in
    <41c22541$0$146$3a628fcd@reader1.nntp.hccnet.nl> wrote:

    >+ Debian installed (2.2.20)
    >+ Xfree86 4.4.0 installed

    That's an intriguing mix of stuff. And where did you pick up v4.4.0 of
    XFree86? it certainly wasn't from any Debian apt repository. And
    2.2.20? is that your kernel? eeek, that's ancient!

    >+ Ok..... I am using Virtual PC on Windows.

    Um, well, that means you'll be using a virtual video card, and not
    your nice, shiny nVidia chipset. Sorry. So don't expect anything
    super-dooper.

    >+ It indicates that I should use the S3 driver. But how do I configure this
    >+ stuff in a understandable way??????? Is there a comprehensive config tool
    >+ anyway for this ****?

    Knoppix is the ultimate X configurator.

    If you've obtained XFree86 4.4.0, then you can use "vmware",
    http://www.xfree86.org/current/RELNOTES3.html

    It may be that "vmware" is available in earlier XFree86's...hmmm, yes,
    I have one such driver in 4.3.0.1.

    You may want to reference these:
    http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/...html/aid/22369
    http://www.vmware.com/support/linux/...all_tools.html

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: XFree86 v4.4.0

    hfrarg@nttvr2x3.pbgfr.arg (I R A Darth Aggie) wrote in

    > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 01:16:05 +0100,
    > Marc Voskuil , in
    > <41c22541$0$146$3a628fcd@reader1.nntp.hccnet.nl> wrote:
    > That's an intriguing mix of stuff. And where did you pick up v4.4.0 of
    > XFree86?(snipped)

    > James

    ===========================

    Hi, James!

    XFree86 v4.4.0 is available via XFree86.org. The documentation page (w/
    links, etc.) is at http://www.xfree86.org/current/ .

    Scruffy
    http://scruffyeagle.com

  4. Re: XFree86 v4.4.0

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:21:34 -0000,
    Scruffy Eagle , in
    wrote:

    >+ XFree86 v4.4.0 is available via XFree86.org. The documentation page (w/
    >+ links, etc.) is at http://www.xfree86.org/current/ .

    Why, yes, of course. But that defeats the purpose of having a nice,
    tight Debian distribution. Having loaded a tarball from XFree86 in the
    past, I've found that it's more of a pain than a gain. YMMV, of course.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.