Freedesktop vs. Xfree86, xprint etc. - X

This is a discussion on Freedesktop vs. Xfree86, xprint etc. - X ; I am getting confused about the X Window System and Linux. I currently use Xfree86 4.4.x. I understand there is some licensing issues with it. I have also been looking at Freedesktop.org X and Xprint etc. I've notice that some ...

  1. Freedesktop vs. Xfree86, xprint etc.

    I am getting confused about the X Window System and Linux. I currently use
    Xfree86 4.4.x. I understand there is some licensing issues with it. I have
    also been looking at Freedesktop.org X and Xprint etc. I've notice that some
    of the libraries that come with Freedesktop X have been diverging from the
    Xfree86, specifically related to freetype/xft. What is the preferred X Window
    system distribution? What is all the controversy about? Thanks.

  2. Re: Freedesktop vs. Xfree86, xprint etc.

    F. Heitkamp wrote:
    > I am getting confused about the X Window System and Linux. I currently use
    > Xfree86 4.4.x. I understand there is some licensing issues with it. I have
    > also been looking at Freedesktop.org X and Xprint etc. I've notice that some
    > of the libraries that come with Freedesktop X have been diverging from the
    > Xfree86, specifically related to freetype/xft. What is the preferred X Window
    > system distribution? What is all the controversy about? Thanks.

    Xorg-X11 is the preferred one, it's just a fork of XFree86 v4.3.x before the
    license changed, I guess you have to read the licens to see what everything is
    about.

    //Aho

  3. Re: Freedesktop vs. Xfree86, xprint etc.

    Oops! "J.O. Aho" was seen spray-painting on a wall:
    > F. Heitkamp wrote:
    >> I am getting confused about the X Window System and Linux. I
    >> currently use Xfree86 4.4.x. I understand there is some licensing
    >> issues with it. I have also been looking at Freedesktop.org X and
    >> Xprint etc. I've notice that some of the libraries that come with
    >> Freedesktop X have been diverging from the Xfree86, specifically
    >> related to freetype/xft. What is the preferred X Window system
    >> distribution? What is all the controversy about? Thanks.

    > Xorg-X11 is the preferred one, it's just a fork of XFree86 v4.3.x
    > before the license changed, I guess you have to read the licens to see
    > what everything is about.

    It's also somewhat about governance.

    The XFree86 Project Inc is the organization behind (surprise!)
    XFree86, and there has been considerable controversy surrounding its
    governance.

    Things are less clear than they used to be, because the corporation
    reincorporated in a new jurisdiction a year or two ago, and the
    principals have been way less open as to further details.

    But in effect, the organization (and hence the software released by
    it) is the "personal playground" of David Dawes,
    .

    Dawes' company, X-Oz, decided to come up with Yet Another New License:
    . And he's been going through
    applying his revised license to everything checked into XFree86 CVS.
    As president of the project, that's evidently considered "fair game."

    The revised license _might_ still be a "free" one, but there have been
    some clauses causing concern. And whenever anyone asks for X-Oz to
    elaborate on their intent, they get evasive, which causes everyone
    quite some concern.

    In the same time period, XFree86 Inc booted out one of the major
    innovators, Keith Packard, who has been working on X since before
    Linux existed. Dawes and Packard didn't see eye to eye on some
    proposed changes, and since control of the corporation is very closely
    held, Packard's "eviction" was easy enough to do, but only occurred as
    a result of the opinions of the tiny group of XFree86 "members."
    There is no provision for representation of other interested parties
    such as Linux system vendors, desktop projects (like GNOME/KDE), or
    such.

    There used to be considerable documentation of XFree86 Project
    policies including copies of the official documents surrounding
    mission statements, bylaws, and such; that information has been
    disappearing, as it would evidently be harmful to the organization for
    that information to be known publicly...

    At any rate, virtually all of the Linux distributions are migrating to
    the "code fork" being managed by X.org, which is a revitalization of
    what used to be the X Consortium, and which has a rather more open
    system of governance, as well as the software license that everyone
    was always comfortable with.
    --
    let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
    http://linuxfinances.info/info/x.html

  4. Re: Freedesktop vs. Xfree86, xprint etc.

    In message <325nqqF3h72r9U1@individual.net> - Christopher Browne
    13 Dec 2004 14:38:19 GMT writes:

    >Oops! "J.O. Aho" was seen spray-painting on a wall:
    >> F. Heitkamp wrote:
    >>> I am getting confused about the X Window System and Linux. I

    >> Xorg-X11 is the preferred one, it's just a fork of XFree86 v4.3.x
    >> before the license changed, I guess you have to read the licens to see
    >> what everything is about.

    >It's also somewhat about governance.
    >

    >But in effect, the organization (and hence the software released by
    >it) is the "personal playground" of David Dawes,
    >.
    >
    >Dawes' company, X-Oz, decided to come up with Yet Another New License:
    >. And he's been going through

    Thank you very much for your explanation. Sounds like I should move to the
    X.org distribution. Other than the license, does anyone have a clear handle
    on what is different between the Xfree86 4.4.x and X.org 4.3.x?

    One thing that obviously concerns me is what distribution Nvida and ATI will
    submit patches too.

  5. Re: Freedesktop vs. Xfree86, xprint etc.

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:21:07 GMT,
    F. Heitkamp , in
    wrote:

    >+ One thing that obviously concerns me is what distribution Nvida and ATI will
    >+ submit patches too.

    My understanding is that ATI contributed to XFree86 and their mods sat
    for months without moving forward. I'll let you guess who they'll be
    more likely to work with.

    Of course, most of the distributions are moving x.org, and so the
    vendors will follow.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  6. Re: Freedesktop vs. Xfree86, xprint etc.

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:21:07 GMT,

    > My understanding is that ATI contributed to XFree86 and their mods sat
    > for months without moving forward. I'll let you guess who they'll be
    > more likely to work with.
    >
    > Of course, most of the distributions are moving x.org, and so the
    > vendors will follow.

    At thgis stage the vendors don't have to choose which one to support, when
    they can just make one driver which works in both.

    //Aho

  7. Re: Freedesktop vs. Xfree86, xprint etc.

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:51:07 +0100,
    J.O. Aho , in
    <328quvF3j873hU1@individual.net> wrote:
    >+ I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    >+ > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:21:07 GMT,
    >+
    >+ > My understanding is that ATI contributed to XFree86 and their mods sat
    >+ > for months without moving forward. I'll let you guess who they'll be
    >+ > more likely to work with.
    >+ >
    >+ > Of course, most of the distributions are moving x.org, and so the
    >+ > vendors will follow.
    >+
    >+ At thgis stage the vendors don't have to choose which one to support, when
    >+ they can just make one driver which works in both.

    Agreed. Currently, that's just a fortunate circumstance for XFree86.

    I suspect that will change, and sooner rather than later.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  8. Re: Freedesktop vs. Xfree86, xprint etc.

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:
    >>+ At this stage the vendors don't have to choose which one to support, when
    >>+ they can just make one driver which works in both.

    > Agreed. Currently, that's just a fortunate circumstance for XFree86.
    > I suspect that will change, and sooner rather than later.

    Could be that XFree86 will change back to it's earlier licens and tell about
    the future and it could be that Xorg and XFree86 merges and we once more just
    have one.

    //Aho

  9. Re: Freedesktop vs. Xfree86, xprint etc.

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:26:15 +0100,
    J.O. Aho , in
    <32gtklF3iq6pdU1@individual.net> wrote:
    >+ I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    >+ > J.O. Aho wrote:
    >+ >>+ At this stage the vendors don't have to choose which one to support, when
    >+ >>+ they can just make one driver which works in both.
    >+ >
    >+ > Agreed. Currently, that's just a fortunate circumstance for XFree86.
    >+ > I suspect that will change, and sooner rather than later.
    >+
    >+ Could be that XFree86 will change back to it's earlier licens and tell about
    >+ the future and it could be that Xorg and XFree86 merges and we once more just
    >+ have one.

    Maybe. I won't hold out much hope for that, tho. Ego's are involved,
    and it takes a very big person to say "I was wrong. I made a
    mistake. I will now fix my mistake." and let their ego take a beating.

    IMHO, of course.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  10. Re: Freedesktop vs. Xfree86, xprint etc.

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:

    >>+ > Agreed. Currently, that's just a fortunate circumstance for XFree86.
    >>+ > I suspect that will change, and sooner rather than later.
    >>+
    >>+ Could be that XFree86 will change back to it's earlier licens and tell about
    >>+ the future and it could be that Xorg and XFree86 merges and we once more just
    >>+ have one.

    > Maybe. I won't hold out much hope for that, tho. Ego's are involved,
    > and it takes a very big person to say "I was wrong. I made a
    > mistake. I will now fix my mistake." and let their ego take a beating.

    Yeah, I agree, seen this kind of stuff over and over again in the Amiga
    community, at least this hasn't sinken as low as it usually is in the Amiga
    community where everyone blames eachother with quite bad "language" too.

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread