Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0" - X

This is a discussion on Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0" - X ; Hi, I'm trying to use xawtv with the following configuration: -bt848 tv tuner -TNT2 nvidia video card -very recent linux Kernel I get the following message when running xawtv Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-ledfixed-medium-r-semicondensed--39-*" to type FontStruct Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" ...

  1. Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0"

    Hi,

    I'm trying to use xawtv with the following configuration:

    -bt848 tv tuner
    -TNT2 nvidia video card
    -very recent linux Kernel

    I get the following message when running xawtv

    Warning: Cannot convert string
    "-*-ledfixed-medium-r-semicondensed--39-*" to type FontStruct
    Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0"

    I've seen many proposed solutions by typing the message on google.
    However, these solutions are so different among another. However, I
    have noticed that people with RedHat 9 and Nvidia cards have this
    problem most often.

    The video card driver is well installed. The lines load dri and load
    glx are in my config file. I didn't install Mesa. I would assume
    that OpenGl would be included in the recent kernels.

    What could solutions? Any general comment on this problem? What is
    its fundamental cause?

    thanx,

    Yvan

  2. Re: Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0"

    On 10 Dec 2004 16:44:55 -0800, Yvan staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > I'm trying to use xawtv with the following configuration:
    > -bt848 tv tuner
    > -TNT2 nvidia video card
    > -very recent linux Kernel

    You posted messages from xawtv, but does xawtv start up? Does it
    start up, but display incorrectly? Messages are good, but a
    human-readable description of the problem is also a good idea.

    > Warning: Cannot convert string
    > "-*-ledfixed-medium-r-semicondensed--39-*" to type FontStruct

    Interesting. Might be a problem, or not.

    > Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0"

    Hm. Are you using the Free "nv" X server, or the evil binary-only
    "nvidia" one? This X extension should not be necessary anyway, since
    many graphics cards have overlays available through the XV extension
    now.

    > The video card driver is well installed. The lines load dri and load
    > glx are in my config file.

    If you are using the evil binary-only X server, you *don't* want "load
    dri". If you are using the Free X server, you don't want it either
    because there is no Free DRI for nVidia cards.

    > I didn't install Mesa. I would assume that OpenGl would be included
    > in the recent kernels.

    Accelerated OpenGL support for nVidia cards is only available with the
    evil binary-only nvidia X server and kernel module.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!