xfree/xorg? - X

This is a discussion on xfree/xorg? - X ; Im trying to install my ATi Radeon 9200 for my X windows system, but apperently the driver's on the site are only for Xfree86 4.x.0, but the pre-installed X server for slackware is Xorg. Xorg and XFree86 and different implementations ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

  1. xfree/xorg?

    Im trying to install my ATi Radeon 9200 for my X windows system, but
    apperently the driver's on the site are only for Xfree86 4.x.0, but the
    pre-installed X server for slackware is Xorg. Xorg and XFree86 and
    different implementations of the X windows system, but are the two
    compatible with each other?

  2. Re: xfree/xorg?

    John Johansson wrote:
    > Im trying to install my ATi Radeon 9200 for my X windows system, but
    > apperently the driver's on the site are only for Xfree86 4.x.0, but the
    > pre-installed X server for slackware is Xorg. Xorg and XFree86 and
    > different implementations of the X windows system, but are the two
    > compatible with each other?

    Xorg is is a frok of XF86 v4.3 (xfree86.org did change the licens in 4.4,
    which makes that most distros dropps it and change over to the Xorg codebase).
    ATI and nVidia drivers from the two chipmakes will work in both X Windows Systems.

    //Aho

  3. Re: xfree/xorg?

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:04:18 +0000, John Johansson wrote:
    >Im trying to install my ATi Radeon 9200 for my X windows system, but
    >apperently the driver's on the site are only for Xfree86 4.x.0, but the
    >pre-installed X server for slackware is Xorg. Xorg and XFree86 and
    >different implementations of the X windows system, but are the two
    >compatible with each other?

    As far as I know, you're SOL until radeon catches up with 8 months ago.

    You have two choices:
    1) install xfree86

    2) dump the card and get one with less than glacial drivers support.
    nvidia has done quite well supplying timely linux driver releases.

  4. Re: xfree/xorg?

    TCS wrote:

    > As far as I know, you're SOL until radeon catches up with 8 months ago.
    >
    > You have two choices:
    > 1) install xfree86

    Thre options,

    3) use the driver with Xorg.

  5. Re: xfree/xorg?

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > TCS wrote:
    >
    >> As far as I know, you're SOL until radeon catches up with 8 months ago.
    >>
    >> You have two choices:
    >> 1) install xfree86

    > Thre options,
    >
    > 3) use the driver with Xorg.

    I've installed the driver and it works pretty good, it is a little bit
    slow when i change desktops.

  6. Re: xfree/xorg?

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:17:23 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:
    >TCS wrote:

    >> As far as I know, you're SOL until radeon catches up with 8 months ago.
    >>
    >> You have two choices:
    >> 1) install xfree86

    >Thre options,

    > 3) use the driver with Xorg.

    oh yeah. And have a system the locks up tight.

  7. Re: xfree/xorg?

    TCS wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:17:23 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:
    >>TCS wrote:

    >>>As far as I know, you're SOL until radeon catches up with 8 months ago.
    >>>You have two choices:
    >>> 1) install xfree86

    >>Thre options,
    >> 3) use the driver with Xorg.

    > oh yeah. And have a system the locks up tight.

    Do explain why a driver written for the XF86 v4.x codebase wouldn't work in
    Xorg which is a fork of XF86 v4.3 where no modifications on the "driver space"
    has been done?

    //Aho

  8. Re: xfree/xorg?

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:47:19 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:
    >TCS wrote:

    >>>Thre options,
    >>> 3) use the driver with Xorg.

    >> oh yeah. And have a system the locks up tight.

    >Do explain why a driver written for the XF86 v4.x codebase wouldn't work in
    >Xorg which is a fork of XF86 v4.3 where no modifications on the "driver space"
    >has been done?

    I've no idea. It was simply my experience that the ati drivers didn't work with
    xorg.

    > //Aho

  9. Re: xfree/xorg?

    TCS wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:47:19 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:
    >
    >>TCS wrote:

    >>>oh yeah. And have a system the locks up tight.

    >>Do explain why a driver written for the XF86 v4.x codebase wouldn't work in
    >>Xorg which is a fork of XF86 v4.3 where no modifications on the "driver space"
    >>has been done?

    > I've no idea. It was simply my experience that the ati drivers didn't work with
    > xorg.
    >

    >> //Aho

    Hmm, well mine works just fine.
    Upgraded from SuSE Pro v9.0 (xfree86) to v9.2 (xorg).
    No problems.

    Larry

  10. Re: xfree/xorg?

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:19:55 GMT, Larry I Smith wrote:
    >Hmm, well mine works just fine.
    >Upgraded from SuSE Pro v9.0 (xfree86) to v9.2 (xorg).
    >No problems.

    The system I couldn't get the ati drivers to work on was mandrake 10.1 (about
    three weeks ago BTW).

  11. Re: xfree/xorg?

    TCS wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:19:55 GMT, Larry I Smith wrote:
    >
    >>Hmm, well mine works just fine.
    >>Upgraded from SuSE Pro v9.0 (xfree86) to v9.2 (xorg).
    >>No problems.

    > The system I couldn't get the ati drivers to work on was mandrake 10.1 (about
    > three weeks ago BTW).

    Well, it might be a Mandrake issue, rather than an xorg issue.
    SuSE Pro v9.2 uses the linux 2.6.8 kernel, but that may not
    have any bearing on the issue.

    I don't have any experience with Mandrake, so I don't have any
    suggestions for you.

    Larry

  12. Re: xfree/xorg?

    Larry I Smith wrote:

    > Well, it might be a Mandrake issue, rather than an xorg issue.
    > SuSE Pro v9.2 uses the linux 2.6.8 kernel, but that may not
    > have any bearing on the issue.
    >
    > I don't have any experience with Mandrake, so I don't have any
    > suggestions for you.

    I haven't seen any storm of posts that ATI drivers wouldn't work on Mandrake
    10.1, so I wouldn't really belive that it's an issue here, but a user error.

    Reading the HOWTO and follow it strictly could be a good try.

    //Aho

  13. Re: xfree/xorg?

    John Johansson schrieb:
    > Im trying to install my ATi Radeon 9200 for my X windows system, but
    > apperently the driver's on the site are only for Xfree86 4.x.0, but the
    > pre-installed X server for slackware is Xorg. Xorg and XFree86 and
    > different implementations of the X windows system, but are the two
    > compatible with each other?

    Do not use the nonfree drivers from ATI for this card.
    There are free DRI drivers which are more reliable, faster and support
    more features. They work with both XFree and xorg.

    Philipp

  14. Re: xfree/xorg?

    > Do not use the nonfree drivers from ATI for this card.
    > There are free DRI drivers which are more reliable, faster and support
    > more features. They work with both XFree and xorg.

    Where can i find those DRI drivers?

  15. Re: xfree/xorg?

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:25:31 +0100,
    J.O. Aho , in
    <31u4fcF3eoe1sU2@individual.net> wrote:

    >+ Reading the HOWTO and follow it strictly could be a good try.

    ^^^^^^^^
    Make that *very* *very* strictly. One of these days, I need to do this
    and take a hard run at getting the ATI drivers installed on my laptop.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  16. Re: xfree/xorg?

    John Johansson schrieb:

    > Where can i find those DRI drivers?

    http://dri.sourceforge.net

    Philipp

  17. Re: xfree/xorg?

    "J.O. Aho" wrote in
    (snipped)
    > Xorg is is a frok of XF86 v4.3 (xfree86.org did change the licens in
    > 4.4, which makes that most distros dropps it and change over to the
    > Xorg codebase). ATI and nVidia drivers from the two chipmakes will
    > work in both X Windows Systems.
    >
    > //Aho

    Hi!

    I just recently installed XFree86 v4.4.0 onto my little newbie project. I
    didn't notice anything limiting or proprietary in the license,... Was there
    something I missed but should be aware of?

    TIA

    Scruffy
    http://scruffyeagle.com

  18. Re: xfree/xorg?

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:21:31 -0000,
    Sorta Anonymous , in
    wrote:

    >+ I just recently installed XFree86 v4.4.0 onto my little newbie project. I
    >+ didn't notice anything limiting or proprietary in the license,... Was there
    >+ something I missed but should be aware of?

    The advertising clause? and this:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/03/msg03502.html

    More precisely, multiple inquries as to the specifics of what
    the new license means have gone unanswered by the principals.

    Pehaps this has changed. But that was back when it mattered, before
    major distro's started jumping ship.

    Much like a camel's back, XFree86 was not forked due to a single
    straw. A last straw, perhaps, but not a single straw.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  19. Re: xfree/xorg?

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:25:31 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:
    >Larry I Smith wrote:

    >> Well, it might be a Mandrake issue, rather than an xorg issue.
    >> SuSE Pro v9.2 uses the linux 2.6.8 kernel, but that may not
    >> have any bearing on the issue.
    >>
    >> I don't have any experience with Mandrake, so I don't have any
    >> suggestions for you.

    >I haven't seen any storm of posts that ATI drivers wouldn't work on Mandrake
    >10.1, so I wouldn't really belive that it's an issue here, but a user error.

    >Reading the HOWTO and follow it strictly could be a good try.

    It probably wouldn't have helped. The problem turned out that I was using
    the wrong agp driver. I had wrongly assumed that the driver to use with
    an sis motherboard was sis_agp. Turns out that the amd athlon 64 has it's
    own agp hardware and the driver to use is amd64-agp.

  20. Re: xfree/xorg?

    hfrarg@nttvr2x3.pbgfr.arg (I R A Darth Aggie) wrote in

    > http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/03/msg03502.html

    Well,... I went & read the page, but I still don't feel enlightened. The
    contents make it clear that the Debian folks (and, seemingly everybody else
    except for slackware) find something wrong in the new license and won't
    include XFree86 in future releases. But, nobody seems to be able to
    describe exactly what it is that's wrong in layman's terms. They use very
    specific references to detail what the problem is, but those named types of
    legality and licensing they refer to cover a LOT of ground. So, I think
    that until I find something more clear stated, threatening, or even just
    fairly daunting in the licenses, I'm going to go ahead & use XFree86
    v4.4.0.

    Thanks!

    Scruffy
    http://scruffyeagle.com