Need to get Keyboard focus, but without a window title bar - X

This is a discussion on Need to get Keyboard focus, but without a window title bar - X ; Hi, I'm trying to get keyboard focus on a window, seems like without a window manager, this is not possible at all, I'm trying to run mozilla as the only window application, but my problem is that I don't want ...

  1. Need to get Keyboard focus, but without a window title bar

    Hi,

    I'm trying to get keyboard focus on a window, seems
    like without a window manager, this is not possible at all,
    I'm trying to run mozilla as the only window application,
    but my problem is that I don't want to display the title bar,
    but still would like to be able to enter text
    (For example, search text in www.google.com.)
    With a window manager, I tried some options like the
    "squeeze title" on twm, and tried using metacity.
    I tried playing with the browser (mozilla) options within
    localstore.rdf but without success.
    I tried putting some options in .Xresources, something like
    *showTitle: off
    *titleBar: false
    but somehow it does'nt seem to take effect. Please note that
    metacity is my preferred window manager.

    Thanks,

  2. Re: Need to get Keyboard focus, but without a window title bar

    On 5 Dec 2004 21:02:50 -0800,
    Arvind Jagannath wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to get keyboard focus on a window, seems
    > like without a window manager, this is not possible at all,
    > I'm trying to run mozilla as the only window application,
    > but my problem is that I don't want to display the title bar,
    > but still would like to be able to enter text
    > (For example, search text in www.google.com.)
    > With a window manager, I tried some options like the
    > "squeeze title" on twm, and tried using metacity.
    > I tried playing with the browser (mozilla) options within
    > localstore.rdf but without success.
    > I tried putting some options in .Xresources, something like
    > *showTitle: off
    > *titleBar: false
    > but somehow it does'nt seem to take effect. Please note that
    > metacity is my preferred window manager.

    Weird, but Mozilla does get flakely with keyboard input
    sometimes. I thought keyboard control was the responsability of
    the Xserver.

    Enlightenment allows you to turn off borders selectively.

    HTH,

    Michael C.
    --
    mcsuper5@usol.com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    The two most abundant things in the universe are hydrogen and
    stupidity. -- Harlan Ellison

  3. Re: Need to get Keyboard focus, but without a window title bar

    Michael C. wrote:
    > On 5 Dec 2004 21:02:50 -0800,
    > Arvind Jagannath wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to get keyboard focus on a window, seems
    >> like without a window manager, this is not possible at all,
    >> I'm trying to run mozilla as the only window application,
    >> but my problem is that I don't want to display the title bar,
    >> but still would like to be able to enter text
    >> (For example, search text in www.google.com.)
    >> With a window manager, I tried some options like the
    >> "squeeze title" on twm, and tried using metacity.
    >> I tried playing with the browser (mozilla) options within
    >> localstore.rdf but without success.
    >> I tried putting some options in .Xresources, something like
    >> *showTitle: off
    >> *titleBar: false
    >> but somehow it does'nt seem to take effect. Please note that
    >> metacity is my preferred window manager.

    > Weird, but Mozilla does get flakely with keyboard input
    > sometimes. I thought keyboard control was the responsability of
    > the Xserver.
    >
    > Enlightenment allows you to turn off borders selectively.

    I don't know for sole X w/o a window manager, but you may want to give
    fvwm2 a try:

    Edit ~/.fvwm2rc:
    ---snip---
    Style "mozilla" NoTitle, Sticky,