Please- Need help with OpenOffice - X

This is a discussion on Please- Need help with OpenOffice - X ; Please- Need help with OpenOffice for my child's PC -It is a new Compaq XP machine. Lots of CPU Mhz and memory. I dowloaded OpenOffice. However when I try to open Word documents that I have received via email I ...

  1. Please- Need help with OpenOffice

    Please- Need help with OpenOffice

    for my child's PC -It is a new Compaq XP machine. Lots of CPU Mhz and
    memory.

    I dowloaded OpenOffice. However when I try to open Word documents that
    I have received via email I get an error message
    It says
    Error opening document.

    I tried opening many Word Documents from different people. I even
    downloaded OpenOffice twice. But I still cannot open the doc.

    I think it allows me to save it and then open it. But will it not
    directly open as I receive it in the email.

    Can anyone pls help ?

    Thanks
    Kim

  2. Re: Please- Need help with OpenOffice

    kimshapiro100@yahoo.com
    news:2c5bcf31.0412030510.4c28044f@posting.google.c om

    > Please- Need help with OpenOffice

    Ask in general linux group, not ".x".

    Try downloading most recent version, try it with simple M$ word documents.
    Worked for me.

    --
    ~~~~=~~~~l_;~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    _|\___J \____, Pozdrawiam, moje www, C++, kontakt, itd.:

  3. Re: Please- Need help with OpenOffice

    kim shapiro wrote:
    > Please- Need help with OpenOffice
    >
    > for my child's PC -It is a new Compaq XP machine. Lots of CPU Mhz and
    > memory.
    >

    > I dowloaded OpenOffice. However when I try to open Word documents that
    > I have received via email I get an error message
    > It says
    > Error opening document.
    >
    > I tried opening many Word Documents from different people. I even
    > downloaded OpenOffice twice. But I still cannot open the doc.
    >
    > I think it allows me to save it and then open it. But will it not
    > directly open as I receive it in the email.
    >
    > Can anyone pls help ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Kim

    Try the OpenOffice users forums found here:

    http://www.oooforum.org/

    The problem MAY be the version of MS Office used to
    create the docs you're trying to open. I'm not
    sure that the latest MS Office doc formats (Office 2003,
    etc) are supported - however, I use it to read Office 2000
    docs all of the time.

    Regards,
    Larry