Gnome Window manager - X

This is a discussion on Gnome Window manager - X ; Hello, I'm running Suse 9.1 personal edition.I've installed the gnome window manager and also fvwm and window maker. I can't get any of these window managers to run,only KDE will come up. also the display manager can only be changed ...

  1. Gnome Window manager

    Hello,
    I'm running Suse 9.1 personal edition.I've installed the gnome window
    manager and also fvwm and window maker. I can't get any of these window
    managers to run,only KDE will come up. also the display manager can only be
    changed to console display manager. any help would be appreciated.

  2. X as XDMCP client

    Hi.

    I work in a large research organization with mixed Windows
    and Linux environment.

    I support many desktop Linux systems running SuSE 9.0 with
    KDE 3.1, and a few Linux servers configured to allow XDMCP
    logins for Windows users running Hummingbird Exceed.

    What I would like to do is add an option under "Session Type"
    on the KDM login window, say "XDMCP Login". This option would
    run a script that stops xdm, and runs:

    X -indirect

    This would allow my desktop Linux users to use their systems
    as Xwindow terminals, in addition to being able to login in
    to KDE sessions in the usual way.

    They could choose from a display of the Linux servers, and
    start a session on the one with the fewest users or the least
    load (I see that Xwilling is written to display this info,
    though right now I don't see how to use it).

    When the user closes out of the "X -indirect" display, they
    would be returned to the usual KDM login window. (I guess the
    script would restart xdm.)

    Does anyone know how to do this?

    --Carl Benson

+ Reply to Thread