Dell 2005FPW WideScreen LCD setup for Linux - X

This is a discussion on Dell 2005FPW WideScreen LCD setup for Linux - X ; I recently bought a Dell 2005FPW WideScreen LCD monitor (16:10). Although it's pretty easy to setup under Windows, I did spend some time for getting it work under FC3. Here is my xorg.conf file, and hope it can help. This ...

  1. Dell 2005FPW WideScreen LCD setup for Linux

    I recently bought a Dell 2005FPW WideScreen LCD monitor (16:10).
    Although it's pretty easy to setup under Windows, I did spend some
    time for getting it work under FC3. Here is my xorg.conf file, and
    hope it can help. This configuration at least can boot up your
    monitor, so you can adjust it by using xdvitune. On the other hand, if
    you experience in trouble with mplayer or xine, you might need to
    change the default depth to be 16bit or lower.

    #configuration created by system-config-display Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "single head configuration"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

    Section "Files"
    RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath "unix/:7100"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "fbdevhw"
    Load "glx"
    Load "record"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "type1"
    Load "dri"
    EndSection

    # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with
    xset(1))
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    #Specify the mouse device
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    EndSection

    # Customized display mode
    Section "Modes"
    # 1680x1050 @ 60 Hz
    # Horizontal pixels
    # Front porch: 104 Back porch: 280 Sync width: 176
    # Sync polarity: - Scan rate: 65.29kHz Active pixels: 1680
    # Vertical lines:
    # Front porch: 3 Back porch: 30 Sync width: 6
    # Sync polarity + Refresh rate 59.954Hz Active pixels: 1050
    # Pixel clock: 146.25MHz
    Identifier "16:10"
    ModeLine "1680x1050" 146.2 1680 1960 2136 2240 1050 1080 1086 1089
    -hsync +vsync
    EndSection

    # Configure your monitor
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "DELL 2005FPW"
    UseModes "16:10"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
    Option "dpms"
    EndSection

    # Configure your graphic card
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "nv"
    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 16
    Modes "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    Modes "1680x1050" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Group 0
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

  2. Re: Dell 2005FPW WideScreen LCD setup for Linux

    In article ,
    leo wrote:
    ># Configure your graphic card
    >Section "Device"
    > Identifier "Videocard0"
    > Driver "nv"
    > VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    > BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
    >EndSection

    I'm considering this monitor, and am wondering if my graphics
    card (Matrox G550) will support the 16:10 resolution. It's an
    older card - does that matter? Are graphics cards hardwired
    for specific resolutions, or is just a matter of having enough
    memory and bandwidth to support a given resolution/refresh rate?

  3. Re: Dell 2005FPW WideScreen LCD setup for Linux

    dhs wrote:
    > In article ,
    > leo wrote:
    > ># Configure your graphic card
    > >Section "Device"
    > > Identifier "Videocard0"
    > > Driver "nv"
    > > VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    > > BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
    > >EndSection

    > I'm considering this monitor, and am wondering if my graphics
    > card (Matrox G550) will support the 16:10 resolution. It's an
    > older card - does that matter? Are graphics cards hardwired
    > for specific resolutions, or is just a matter of having enough
    > memory and bandwidth to support a given resolution/refresh rate?

    I guess you should have your graphic card to support this aspect ratio.
    It's not the hardware issue, but you probably need to have updated
    driver to support it.

+ Reply to Thread