need help with Star Office - X

This is a discussion on need help with Star Office - X ; need help with Sun's Star Office I bought my 9 year daughter a Compaq Windows XP based PC but did not come with MS Word etc. I am wondering if StarOffice will work well (like MS windows) on her PC. ...

  1. need help with Star Office

    need help with Sun's Star Office

    I bought my 9 year daughter a Compaq Windows XP based PC but did not
    come with MS Word etc.

    I am wondering if StarOffice will work well (like MS windows) on her
    PC. StarOffice is a lot less than MS Word.

    I am NOT technical so if it is going to be a lot of trouble for
    someone like pls let me know.

    Is there a place where I can download it for FREE or a small price.

    If not, Maybe i could find a version of it on eBay.

    Can anyone pls let me know.

    Thanks
    Kim

  2. Re: need help with Star Office

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:45:34 -0800, kim shapiro wrote:

    > need help with Sun's Star Office
    >
    > I bought my 9 year daughter a Compaq Windows XP based PC but did not
    > come with MS Word etc.
    >
    > I am wondering if StarOffice will work well (like MS windows) on her
    > PC. StarOffice is a lot less than MS Word.
    >
    > I am NOT technical so if it is going to be a lot of trouble for
    > someone like pls let me know.
    >
    > Is there a place where I can download it for FREE or a small price.
    >
    > If not, Maybe i could find a version of it on eBay.
    >
    > Can anyone pls let me know.
    >

    > Thanks
    > Kim

    I'm not sure that staroffice is that much better than openoffice. You can
    get OpenOffice at www.openoffice.org for free - I expect it will meet your
    needs. BTW OpenOffice is indeed a StarOffice 'spin-off'.

  3. Re: need help with Star Office

    "kim shapiro" wrote in message
    news:2c5bcf31.0411291645.232e0750@posting.google.c om...
    > need help with Sun's Star Office
    >
    > I bought my 9 year daughter a Compaq Windows XP based PC but did not
    > come with MS Word etc.
    >
    > I am wondering if StarOffice will work well (like MS windows) on her
    > PC. StarOffice is a lot less than MS Word.
    >
    > I am NOT technical so if it is going to be a lot of trouble for
    > someone like pls let me know.
    >
    > Is there a place where I can download it for FREE or a small price.
    >
    > If not, Maybe i could find a version of it on eBay.
    >
    > Can anyone pls let me know.
    >

    > Thanks
    > Kim

    If you don't have broadband openoffice is too big to download for free but
    you can buy a copy on CD very cheaply. There are links to vendors (depends
    on what country you are in) on the open office site.

    Dave

  4. Re: need help with Star Office

    kim shapiro voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in comp.os.linux.x on Mon
    29 Nov 2004 05:45:34p:

    > need help with Sun's Star Office
    >
    > I bought my 9 year daughter a Compaq Windows XP based PC but did not
    > come with MS Word etc.
    >
    > I am wondering if StarOffice will work well (like MS windows) on her
    > PC. StarOffice is a lot less than MS Word.
    >
    > I am NOT technical so if it is going to be a lot of trouble for
    > someone like pls let me know.
    >
    > Is there a place where I can download it for FREE or a small price.
    >
    > If not, Maybe i could find a version of it on eBay.
    >
    > Can anyone pls let me know.
    >

    > Thanks
    > Kim

    Please excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong, but isn't Star Office a Linux
    prog? If you're using XP on your daughter's computer you can always use
    Wordpad. Limited formatting capabilities but can save in .doc or .rtf or
    even .txt format. Word for windows too. Any of these can be opened in
    Word, WordPerfect or again in Wordpad. Should be able to read in almost
    any word processing prog as well. I can open any of these on my PeeCee
    or my MAC laptop. Don't have much experience trying them in Linux as
    I've just installed SuSE 9.1 Pro with my Win98SE and am still trying to
    get on-line in Linux with my crappy winmodem.

    Later......

    Labrat...... |:^{)

    A recent convert to the flightless bird.

  5. Re: need help with Star Office

    Labrat wrote:
    > kim shapiro voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in comp.os.linux.x on Mon
    > 29 Nov 2004 05:45:34p:
    >

    >>need help with Sun's Star Office
    >>
    >>I bought my 9 year daughter a Compaq Windows XP based PC but did not
    >>come with MS Word etc.
    >>
    >>I am wondering if StarOffice will work well (like MS windows) on her
    >>PC. StarOffice is a lot less than MS Word.
    >>
    >>I am NOT technical so if it is going to be a lot of trouble for
    >>someone like pls let me know.
    >>
    >>Is there a place where I can download it for FREE or a small price.
    >>
    >>If not, Maybe i could find a version of it on eBay.
    >>
    >>Can anyone pls let me know.
    >>

    >>Thanks
    >>Kim

    > Please excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong, but isn't Star Office a Linux
    > prog? If you're using XP on your daughter's computer you can always use
    > Wordpad. Limited formatting capabilities but can save in .doc or .rtf or
    > even .txt format. Word for windows too. Any of these can be opened in
    > Word, WordPerfect or again in Wordpad. Should be able to read in almost
    > any word processing prog as well. I can open any of these on my PeeCee
    > or my MAC laptop. Don't have much experience trying them in Linux as
    > I've just installed SuSE 9.1 Pro with my Win98SE and am still trying to
    > get on-line in Linux with my crappy winmodem.
    >

    > Later......
    >
    > Labrat...... |:^{)
    >

    > A recent convert to the flightless bird.

    OpenOffice is the free Open Source version of StarOffice.
    OpenOffice is available for Windows, Linux, Mac, & Solaris.
    The Windows version may be downloaded from the
    OpenOffice web site at:

    http://www.openoffice.org/
    http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.3/index.html

    Regards,
    Larry

  6. Re: need help with Star Office

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:59:40 GMT,
    Labrat , in
    wrote:

    >+ Please excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong, but isn't Star Office a Linux
    >+ prog?

    Yes. But that doesn't mean it can't run on top of Windows XP. Lots of
    "Linux" apps run on top of Windows, far too many to mention.

    And in a case that shows up the superior multi-user capablities of
    Linux, Star Office/Open Office in windows is just a major pain the ass
    to get running right with multiple, non-administrative user accounts.

    Hopefully OOo v2.x will address that.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  7. Re: need help with Star Office

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:59:40 GMT,
    Labrat wrote:
    > kim shapiro voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in
    > comp.os.linux.x on Mon 29 Nov 2004 05:45:34p:
    >
    > > need help with Sun's Star Office
    > >
    > > I bought my 9 year daughter a Compaq Windows XP based PC but
    > > did not come with MS Word etc.
    > >
    > > I am wondering if StarOffice will work well (like MS windows)
    > > on her PC. StarOffice is a lot less than MS Word.

    I haven't tried Star Office in years, but I understood that Sun's
    customer service is pretty good. Open Office is an offshoot that
    is available for free, I'm not sure how different they are at
    this point.

    Grandparent post isn't available to me, so I'm not sure which
    groups were initially included, but the post is off topic for
    colx.

    > Please excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong, but isn't Star Office
    > a Linux prog? If you're using XP on your daughter's computer

    Star Office is a multi-platform office suite.

    > you can always use Wordpad. Limited formatting capabilities
    > but can save in .doc or .rtf or even .txt format. Word for
    > windows too. Any of these can be opened in Word, WordPerfect
    > or again in Wordpad. Should be able to read in almost any
    > word processing prog as well. I can open any of these on my
    > PeeCee or my MAC laptop. Don't have much experience trying
    > them in Linux as I've just installed SuSE 9.1 Pro with my
    > Win98SE and am still trying to get on-line in Linux with my
    > crappy winmodem.

    An external serial modem is much less aggravation, I got a
    Creative Labs Modem Blaster for $20 last year, they're dirt
    cheap these days.

    Michael C.
    --
    mcsuper5@usol.com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair.
    Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair,
    and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we
    actually deserve them?" - Marcus Cole

+ Reply to Thread