X "remote desktop" - X

This is a discussion on X "remote desktop" - X ; I have a RH9 server with Gnome installed as my home network gateway/router/firewall. Recently however I've started downloading stuff using Bittorrent on one of my Windows clients. Instead of having yet another maching standing powered on it'd be preferrable to ...

  1. X "remote desktop"

    I have a RH9 server with Gnome installed as my home network
    gateway/router/firewall.

    Recently however I've started downloading stuff using Bittorrent on
    one of my Windows clients. Instead of having yet another maching
    standing powered on it'd be preferrable to use the Linux server for
    that which is constantly on anyway and most of the time does very
    little.

    Since the Linux machine is in a rather akward place to sit and browse
    I usually sit on another Windows machine to do the job. Usually I only
    login to this maching using a terminal. But sometimes I do jobs with
    the aid of X-Win32 which gives me access to Gnome via XCDMP (right?)

    In Windows Pro there is something called a Remote Desktop Login which
    logs in to a computer giving you that computers desktop on you local
    desktop.

    One major difference is that with the Remote desktop I can leave all
    processes (windows) running when I disconnect whereas with the X-Win32
    they are all terminated.

    Is there a good way to do this (using Windows):
    1. Log in graphically to the Linux machine
    2. Browse using Firefox
    3. Start downloads
    4. Log out or in some way disconnect
    5. Log in and see the same screen again

    ???

    Please help

  2. Re: X "remote desktop"

    Pal Hulden wrote:

    > Is there a good way to do this (using Windows):
    > 1. Log in graphically to the Linux machine

    A. Install X11 on you winbox and then with ssh connect to the linux box and
    run the application you want to use. (won't leave the gui application alive
    after logout).
    B. Run VNC (if using VNC over internet, then use TightVNC), there are clients
    for most operatingsystems.
    C. use command line based applications, with screen those can be left alive.

    > 2. Browse using Firefox

    See option A and B for question 1.

    > 3. Start downloads

    See option A and B for question 1.