Best distribution - X

This is a discussion on Best distribution - X ; Hi all I am migrating from Windows to Linux. Which distribution is best for me?...

  1. Best distribution

    Hi all
    I am migrating from Windows to Linux. Which distribution is best for me?

  2. Re: Best distribution

    On 31 Oct 2004 10:25:22 -0800, Saurabh wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I am migrating from Windows to Linux. Which distribution is best for me?

    The best one is the one that fits your needs.

    Here, read for yourself.
    http://www.distrowatch.com/ and
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...x+distribution

    and http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    and/or buy them all

    Mandrake has more utilities and a much
    better user friendly installer.

    http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/Mandrak.../Starter.html/

  3. Re: Best distribution

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 31 Oct 2004 10:25:22 -0800, Saurabh wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all
    >> I am migrating from Windows to Linux. Which distribution is best for me?

    Much depends on what you want to do with your linux installation,
    Office usage?
    Server usage?
    Playing Games?
    Video System?

    and what kind of hardware you are using, but most distros have around the same
    hardware support...

    > The best one is the one that fits your needs.
    >
    > Here, read for yourself.
    > http://www.distrowatch.com/ and
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...x+distribution
    >
    > and http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > and/or buy them all

    If you don't want to buy them all, go to www.linuxiso.org and download the ISO
    and burn the CDs yourself.

    > Mandrake has more utilities and a much
    > better user friendly installer.

    Everything is a matter of taste, and I doubt that Mandrake comes close to
    Gentoos number of applications, but yes, Gentoo ain't the first choise for new
    users.

    //Aho

  4. Re: Best distribution

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:15:26 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:

    > Everything is a matter of taste, and I doubt that Mandrake comes
    > close to Gentoos number of applications, but yes, Gentoo ain't the
    > first choise for new users.

    How many utilities are out of the box on the gentoos cds?

  5. Re: Best distribution

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:15:26 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:
    >
    >>Everything is a matter of taste, and I doubt that Mandrake comes
    >>close to Gentoos number of applications, but yes, Gentoo ain't the
    >>first choise for new users.

    > How many utilities are out of the box on the gentoos cds?

    Gentoo is a source based distro, which uses the portage system to install
    applications, you don't need many applications on CDs, but all applications
    that are part of the portage tree is part of Gentoo.

    //Aho

  6. Re: Best distribution

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:01:35 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:15:26 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:
    >>
    >>>Everything is a matter of taste, and I doubt that Mandrake comes
    >>>close to Gentoos number of applications, but yes, Gentoo ain't the
    >>>first choise for new users.

    >> How many utilities are out of the box on the gentoos cds?

    > Gentoo is a source based distro, which uses the portage system to install
    > applications, you don't need many applications on CDs, but all applications
    > that are part of the portage tree is part of Gentoo.

    That is what I thought. My utility count was for the cds out of the
    box. Like Gentoo, you can get a contrib mirror and get more rpms for
    mandrake install and if you like get the source and compile your own.

  7. Re: Best distribution

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:01:35 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:
    >
    >>Bit Twister wrote:

    >>>How many utilities are out of the box on the gentoos cds?

    >>Gentoo is a source based distro, which uses the portage system to install
    >>applications, you don't need many applications on CDs, but all applications
    >>that are part of the portage tree is part of Gentoo.

    > That is what I thought. My utility count was for the cds out of the
    > box. Like Gentoo, you can get a contrib mirror and get more rpms for
    > mandrake install and if you like get the source and compile your own.

    You won't get any extra official RPMs for Mandrake than those that you have on
    the CD (of course an update, but still the same program), while all the
    ebuilds arre official releases for Gentoo, which works and builds without any
    problems. The drawback with Mandrake is that you have to download many CD
    images and you maybe want only half of the stuff.

    //Aho

  8. Re: Best distribution

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:25:22 -0800, Saurabh rambled:

    > Hi all
    > I am migrating from Windows to Linux. Which distribution is best for me?

    Slackware is quite a nice distro if you want to be thrown in the deep end
    and learn quickly? If not Mandrake like has been suggested is an
    excellent choie. Consider posting to alt.os.linux also, you may get more
    replies and discussion.

    Regards,
    Dave

    --
    David Green (mail.david@dsl.pipex.com)
    Hands up for human rights!

  9. Re: Best distribution

    On 31 Oct 2004 10:25:22 -0800,
    Saurabh , in
    <4a3ca1e3.0410311025.3ff48a6f@posting.google.com> wrote:

    >+ I am migrating from Windows to Linux. Which distribution is best for me?

    Linux From Scratch. http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  10. Re: Best distribution

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:25:22 +0000, Saurabh wrote:

    > Hi all
    > I am migrating from Windows to Linux. Which distribution is best for me?

    Probably Mandrake, Fedora, SuSE, Knoppix, Debian, Slackware, Mepis,
    Gentoo, Damn Small, PCLinuxOS, Xandros, Vine, Yoper, RedHat, Ubuntu,
    Gnoppix, Linxpire, Vector, Kanotix, Feather, Turbolinux, Lycors, Auros,
    Arch, Onebase, Libranet, Lorma, Vidalinux, Buffalo, Sun JDS, Puppy,
    Connective, Devil, Ark, SAM, Mandows, CRUX, or Agnula.

    See www.distrowatch.com

  11. Re: Best distribution

    Saurabh wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I am migrating from Windows to Linux. Which distribution is best for me?

    i would say redhat fedora. because they have very good support. once you
    are done with your baby steps debian.
    jc

  12. Re: Best distribution

    Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when saurabh.ss@gmail.com (Saurabh) wrote:
    > Hi all I am migrating from Windows to Linux. Which distribution is
    > best for me?

    There's little reason to imagine any choice to be forcibly "best."

    If there was a "best" choice, then there wouldn't be reason for them
    to all exist, would there?

    --> Fedora (formerly "Red Hat") and Mandrake tend to be the 'big
    names' in having bleeding edge highly integrated desktop
    application support

    --> SuSE and Debian/stable and RHAS/RHES have a pretty good rep for
    being pretty stable for server applications

    --> Slackware and Debian/any are noted for running in tiny places
    where "desktop systems" dare not go

    --> For "bleeding edge, latest apps" with less concentration on
    just GNOME or KDE, Debian/unstable and Gentoo get a lot of
    votes.

    I have no reason to imagine that any of these are forcibly preferable
    for your purposes.
    --
    wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
    http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/debian.html